husband can't take me to the hospital | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

husband can't take me to the hospital husband can't take me to the hospital

Unread 03-17-2002, 07:17 AM
husband can't take me to the hospital

my surgery is at 9:00 am the 20th I have to be at the hospital at 7 am
my husband has to work the 19th he will get off at 8:00 am on the 20th so I have to drive my self to the hospital and then he will come up after work
no he can't take off work cause he will be doing my job
this realy ***** too I might just tell him to go home and sleep
I want even know that he's at the hospital till I wake up anyway
I am just kinda down in the dumps right now it will get better
hugs ladypeewee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 07:31 AM

That's too bad that your husband can't take you .
You're right though that once you're there, you're gonna be busy with pre-op then under anesthesia, so It'd be better for him to get there as you are coming out of recovery. I don't even remember seeing my parents (who I stayed with) until a few hours after the surgery!
Unread 03-17-2002, 08:03 AM

You might want to have a friend go with you at 7 because i found it went easier for me if I had someone wait with me before the surgery. Especially if it doesn`t start on time. Have hubby sleep and be there when you wake but if you can have a friend be there before . I had over an hour wait before they took me to pre-op. That`s a long hour alone.
God Bless Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 11:20 AM

I know what you mean. My husband and I run our business together, so the day of my surgery he will be working. I guess he's better off so he doesn't have to wait and worry at the hospital. I know how that is.
We're trying to schedule me to get out on Friday, but i'm afraid it will be THursday. If it were Friday, he would only have to close the business one day. He is going to have a rough time the 3-4 weeks after. He'll have to carry my part of the business, plus take up what I do at home. Thankfully my sister has offered to clean the house and do the laundry. But he still has the shopping and care of our 5 dogs, plus the various other things I do and don't think about.
I know what you mean also about being a little down adn disappointed. I'd like him there with me and when I get home the first few days...but well its not going to be. I'll survive ...barely
Unread 03-17-2002, 11:45 AM
On my own too!

My husband will be able to drop me off at 7am, but he has to go back home to get our 2 boys to school by 7:30 and 8:20. Then he has to be in training for work 45 min. away. I might see him that night, but he has to get home to our 4 kids to get them dinner and start all over on Friday.
We worked it this way so he could take the next week off of work when I would be home and really need his help. He feels awful and Iam scared about me being alone those 2 days. We don't have alot of choice with having 4 kids. At least I know how much he wants to be their so I try not to let him know how scared I am so he doesn't feel any worse.
Any way, I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. Ill be thinking of you. Hope all goes well.

Debbie
Unread 03-17-2002, 01:54 PM

Been there, done that to the ladies that own and run their own business with their husbands. I scheduled my D&C for a Friday but scheduled my TAH BSO for a wed on a Labor Day week end
so I would come home for a 3 day week end. Our business was closed on week ends. On Labor Day ( monday) after my wed surgury I insisted on going to the shop to review mail and pay bills ect and deposit reciepts. We were closed so I got in and out.
On the day of surgury he did drive me there and stay until I was out of surgury. We did have 2 employees so he could be gone briefly. The hospital was only 2 miles away so he ran up to see
me several times a day for brief visits. Then on Friday I was released at about 5 pm so the shop was closed and we had 3 days neither of us had to work. I considered this a luxury. Also I should add, I had no children at home. A cleaning woman twice a week and dh cooks. I know some of us just have to roll with the punches and don't have 8 weeks paid leave or dh can't take family leave. Don't you have a sister or a friend that could sit with you before surgury ( if you feel you need it) I would have been okay with no body driving me there, but you WILL need someone to pick you up. Good luck. Do the best you can. DON"T LIFT
after the surgury. I wasn't real good about taking it easy after surgury because I had a business to run, but I never disobeyed
the no lifting. In fact I didn't lift heavy things for about 4 months after I was released to. Same on running the sweeper!
Unread 03-17-2002, 02:19 PM

So sorry to hear that you have to drive yourself. I hope you can find a friend or someone else to go with you. Everyone deserves lots of support I know that sometimes in the real world you have to do with what life presents. Your hystersisters' thoughts and prayers will be going with you
Unread 03-17-2002, 02:30 PM

I agree, have someone go with you while you are waiting to be taken to the O.R. .. maybe someone who can stay and wait for you to make it to recovery. Maybe the person could even give your dh a call and let him know how things went. Having someone with you to help pass the time will help, it almost always does.

I will be fortunate enough to have dh to take me in the day of my surgery and be there for me when I wake up. My dh is in the Army (and they don't like to let you take a lot of time off), however he is taking the day of surgery off. While I am in the castle, he will work during the day. There is no sense in him taking the days I am in the castle off, since he really wouldn't be able to help me anyways. He will be taking a few days, maybe a week off once I get home tho. We have 3 kids, 2 of which go to school from 8:30-3:30 and the other one, whos 4 will go to the sitters during the day. Once dh goes back to work, if I still can't manage the kids for 1/2 a day or so, they will go to the sitters after school and the little one will be at sitters all day.

Anyways, now that I have gone way off topic here.. I wish you all the best. Will be anxious to hear how things worked out. Take care.

's

Amy
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:05 PM

LadyPeeWee, I'm sure I'll get a lot of negative reaction to this, It would be nice if we could all be " pampered princesses" and for those that can. WONDERFUL, but lets see some sensativity here for the women that don't have paid leave, or have a business to run, or single moms with no income from paid leave, that have to work befrore 8 weeks. We don't all have the privledge to lay in bed with a cooler of soft drinks,

I wish we all did, but, I would like to see more support for the women who do not have 8 weeks paid leave, or the self employed woman who has to go back to work while everyone tells her to rest and pamper herself. I wish we could all do that, and I'm
happy for those that can. But this is not reality for some women.
I do wish it was, but when some women ask for help about theses problems they get the " you have one chance to heal"
I wish all women had that privledge to have paid leave for 8 weeks. Maybe we can adress the women's problems that do not have this privledge. It is reality for many women!
Unread 03-17-2002, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I can relate

I have a grand total of 55 hours of paid leave coming up when I have my surgery on April 5. That's like, hmmm, a week and a day and a half! I've been planning on living off my tax refund while I was off work, but when I tried to e-file they rejected my return becasue my baby's father (who does not support her at all and who has a no-contact order preventing him from seeing either me or the baby) claimed her as a dependent, so now we have to wrangle through the IRS. Hopefully they can resolve it quickly--I enclosed a copy of the restraining order with my return, and it states I have custody of the baby, but, boy, if I don't get it by mid-April I'm going to be in a world of hurt!!! I guess all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope for the day that the US grants paid leave like most countries in Europe seem to!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register