Hysterectomy Jitters | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy Jitters Hysterectomy Jitters

Unread 03-17-2002, 09:38 AM
Hysterectomy Jitters

I AM 39, HAVE SUFFERED WITH MOD-SEVERE ENDOMETRIOSIS FOR 25 YEARS. DIDN'T KNOW I HAD ENDO UNTIL AGE 30 WHEN I WENT TO FIND OUT WHY I WASN'T GETTING PREGNANT. AFTER EXPLORATORY LAPROSCOPY, THE DOC DID LASER SURGERY, DRILLED HOLES IN THE OVARIES, I FOUND OUT I HAVE ENDO ON BOTH OVARIES, UTERUS, BLADDER, AND LIGAMENTS. AFTER THAT I TOOK CLOMID TO TRY TO BECOME PREGNANT ONLY TO GET 2 CYSTS (ONE OF WHICH WAS VERY LARGE AND BURST). AT THAT TIME I SWITCHED TO PERGONAL (SHOTS GIVEN EVERY DAY FOR 10 DAYS BY MY HUSBAND) TO NO AVAIL. AFTER ADOPTING 4 CHILDREN, I TOOK A BREAK FROM ALL THE FEMALE ISSUES AND TRIED TO IGNORE EVERYTHING TO HAVE A "NORMAL LIFE". ABOUT FOUR YEARS PASSED, AND I JUST WENT TO GET A ROUTINE PAP TEST. MY RESULTS, TWO MORE FIBROIDS ON MY UTERUS, ABNORMAL CELLS ON MY CERVIX, AND THE PAIN HAS RETURNED. MY DOCTOR RECOMMENDED A HYSTERECTOMY REMOVING BOTH OVARIES, WHICH ARE FULL OF ENDOMETRIOSIS LESIONS, MY UTERUS FOR THE SAME REASON PLUS THE FIBROIDS (WHICH I HAVE HAD REMOVED BEFORE ONLY TO GET MORE), AND THE CERVIX (BECAUSE OF THE ABNORMAL CELLS) I ALSO HAVE HPV VIRUS (HIGH SIDE).
MY QUESTION, HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY SIMILAR SITUATION? AND WHAT DID YOU DO? I NEED SOMEBODY TO TALK TO, AS MY SURGERY IS SCHEDULED FOR APRIL 10TH, AND I WILL START OUT AS LAPROSCOPIC, BUT THE DOCTOR HAS INFORMED ME THAT I MAY END UP WITH THE CESEAREAN CUT, DUE TO ALL OF MY ENDO LESIONS, ETC. PLEASE EMAIL ME. I WORRY THAT I AM HAVING THIS SURGERY AND PUTTING MYSELF AT RISK FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN AND LEAVE 4 CHILDREN WITHOUT A MOTHER. I FEEL KIND OF SELFISH HAVING THE SURGERY AND TAKING THE RISKS. PLEASE RESPOND, I COULD USE SOME ADVICE AND STORIES.
THANKS,
CINDY
EMAIL IS JMPCLP@AOL.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 01:53 PM
Hysterectomy Jitters

Jmp...

I am very sorry to hear about all the troubles you have been through. I know it must be very tough for you right now. Please hang in there and know that everyone here is great. You should try coming into the chat room. In there are ladies who are waiting (lke myself) and post oppers. They can help answer a lot of your questions (as can reading pre and post op boards). I suggest, if you haven't already, that you read some of the stories and hints/tips on the homepage (you can get there by clicking on the princesses in the top left hand corner), they are under some drop down menus towards the bottom of the homepage.

I really wish I could offer you some of what you are looking for, but I can't. I am still pre-op. I'm sure it won't be long before someone will jump in here and help ya.

Also, I'm not sure if you realized this or not, but all caps on the internet is like shouting. Some of us find it hard to read. Please take the caps lock off.

Hope to see you in the chat room sometime! Take care.

Amy
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Hysterectomy Jitters

Dear Cindy,
So glad you found us here at hystersisters. I didn't endure everything you did getting to this point, but I can relate to parts of your story. I am 46 and had my hyst in November last year, primarily due to severe endo. At age 30, I had a diagnostic lap to look for endo, but my gyn at that time said I did not have it. I went through other tests and eventually was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. Fast forward to this time last year. I had severe "belly" pain that lasted for 3 days, decided this might not just be my irritable colon, called my family doc and she sent me to the ER. Long story short, I had two large fibroids that seemed to be causing the problem. I agonized over my decision, but ultimately chose to have a lap myomectomy in June last year. The fibroids were successfully removed, but my new gyn found severe endo and told me it probably had been there for many years. After more agonizing over what to do and trying Aygestin for several months, I chose to have my hyst in late November.
The bottom line is ... choosing to have a hyst is tough, no matter how much you have suffered or how much you need the surgery. There are risks with any surgery and all of us worry about this. Don't feel guilty about needing to do this to take care of your health. Yes, things can go wrong ... but it's a VERY remote possibility that your children would be left motherless. Please think positive thoughts ... you will be a better mother when you don't have this pain all the time. Life will be GOOD after your surgery.

Hang in there. It's normal to be scared. We'll be here for you every step of the way. Sending you big hugs.

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register