Problems with getting off the couch | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Problems with getting off the couch Problems with getting off the couch

Unread 03-17-2002, 10:08 AM
Problems with getting off the couch

I have been reading that many are having problems getting off the couch after surgery. I was wondering would it help if I placed my couch on blocks to make it 6 to 8 inches higher? I know I would have to put a piece of moulding around the top of the block to keep the couch from slipping off, but if you think it might help I will get right to work on the project.

Lucky for me I found this site and have till April 29th to prepare myself and my home for the big day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 10:33 AM
hmm interesting

I never really thought about raising the couch. My bed sits very high andf it made it easier to get in and out of. So raising the couch would make sense.

Let us know if it works . If you decide to do it

Michele
Unread 03-17-2002, 10:50 AM

OK found out a solution of getting up from and fetting into bed. I had Dh take a rope and tie it to the threadmill and than tie it to the bed. Of course he put the thread mil by the bed on the side I sleep on and I ust grab the rope and pull and than I can touch the handle of the thread mill and I am sitting up. I bought a rocking chair just to sit in as that is what I used at hospital and it was just a wood one. To get off and on the john I brought one of my box fans to sit on the right side of the stool and I use it as leverage to sit or rise from the john.. a lot easer than having nothing..janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 11:16 AM
I never considered this, UhOh

I never even considered this, I feel so unprepared. Janet, I don't understand about the box fan, how did you use it for leverage? I go to the castle in 3 days, and I'm getting very nervous. I feel like running away ! I went to buy my big granny panties last night and they are HUGE. I'm hoping they wont ever fit, I dont want a swelly belly that big! I did get me a Kenny G cd, greatest hits. It's awesome, the music is sooooo relaxing. I wish they would let me leave my headphones on till they knock me out for surgery. Im not sure my bag is packed with all I need or not, guess I'll find out lol. Blessings in Christ, Mikki Jo
Unread 03-17-2002, 02:22 PM

Hi,

Just thought I'd share this with you. I stayed away from our couch for the first week or so, it was just too low for me. I sat in a chair, or reclined, propped up in bed.

To get out of bed I found that this worked. The side I get out of is on the left, so if you get out on the right side, just reverse the process. I would gently roll to my side and get my elbow underneath me. I'd let my left leg slide off the edge of the bed, while I grabbed my right leg, just behind the knee. Then I'd push off with my left arm, while holding onto my right leg. Holding onto the right leg seemed to let gravity help me along until I was sitting up.

I hope this helps, I know it made it easier for me to get up. In this case Mr. Gravity was not mean

Take care, I hope the best for you.

Chris
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:37 PM

Makeitdo and others,
Hmmm... raising the couch sounds like a lot of work. I admit that it wasn't the easiest thing to get out of bed or off the couch for the first few days. But I learned to use my arms and elbows and managed pretty well. DH had talked about renting a hospital bed for me and keeping it downstairs ... I nixed that as soon as my gyn said I could do the steps once or twice a day right away.

For me, it helped if I rolled onto my side first, dropped legs over the side of the couch or bed, then used my arms to prop myself up. The main thing is you just don't want to use those stomach muscles at first.

Let us know what you decide about elevating the couch ... could be a whole new product idea evolving here!

Beth
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:37 PM

Chris gave great advice on how to get up. I had no real trouble either, once I learned a similar technique. The nurses helped teach me to use my arms and legs, rather than stomach muscles. Ask the nurses to help after your surgery. I have alternated between the bed at night (which is kind of low) and a recliner, which was a bit hard because you have to pull a lever to recline in it. My husband had to get me in and out of it for a few days because of that darned lever :-). The couch would have been easier, except I can't see the tv when I'm lying on it!

Micki Jo, don't worry about feeling unprepared - but I can relate to your wanting to run away! As one who likes to have everything perfectly set up, I learned that you can only do your best to plan for what you anticipate, and the rest will work itself out. I found some things I prepared for were really unnecessary for me, and other things I didn't plan for had to be figured out, but none of it was a major deal. Really.

Ask them about the music - someone here wrote that they let her have her headphones on going in to surgery. But I will say that if I had that. then I'd have missed the sweet nurse and anesthesiologist and my doctor talking calmingly to me and making jokes as they gave me my spinal!

Deep, relaxing breaths, ladies! You'll do fine!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register