Cervix ? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-17-2002, 10:27 AM
Cervix ?

I am a new member and this is my first post.......so please bear with me as I bumble my way through this.

I would first like to compliment everyone on this site for your compassion and willingness to help out a fellow sister. This support group is very comforting as I read what others have experienced and their desire to communicate and open up to others in need.

I am a LIW and am scheduled for a TAH on April 12 due to fibroids (fallopian tubes & ovaries will not be taken). Am I scared? You bet! But I am determined to keep a positive attitude through all of this and trust that God will take care of me.

I feel so much more informed about this whole process since reading all of your postings, which I believe will better prepare me for my visit to the castle.

One nagging question I have is, should I have my cervix removed? I know there is debate on the pros and cons. My doctor is recommending taking the uterus and the cervix, but will leave the cervix if I so desire. If it is taken out, then obviously I won't have to worry about cervical cancer. However, will sex feel differently for either my dh or myself without my cervix? I am very worried that without my cervix, things will feel differently and not as pleasurable. I don't want to make a decision that is irreversible and that I will regret. I would love input from anyone on the pros and cons! Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Keeping Mine

I am due for my surgery this week and have had to make the same decision. I have to tell my doctor on monday what I decide. After alot of research and a 40 min. discussion with my doctor I have opted to keep mine.
I am having no problems with my cevix. No painful intercource. So I have decided to keep it. My doctor is from Russia and has told me its only in the United States that the attitude is take it all out while you are in there. In Europe they always leave the cervix unless it must come out.
This is my own personal decision and everyone must do their own research and soul searching. I have taken about 3 weeks to feel comfortable with my decision.
I hope this helps. Let me know how you are doing. God bless.

Debbie
Unread 03-17-2002, 07:14 PM
cervix

Henna,
I learned from this site that women who keep their cervix may continue to have mini-periods. That seemed like a good reason not to hang onto mine.
Also, if you've ever flunked a pap test, that tips the balance toward removal.
Good luck with your decision making.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Hi Henna

I did keep my cervix for the same reasons as Debbie has decided to keep hers..I also did not have any bad pap smears and I still have good tone to my pelvic floor..which is another criteria you have to met for my dr to suggest the subtotal.

The chance of a mini-period out weighed my fright of having problems down the road with my pelvic floor and bladder.

I have cycled already and didn't have a mini-period. I have talked to other women that have had subtotals, some do have a mini-period and other's haven't had them.

Good luck in whatever you decided to do, the choice is yours.

Sometimes I think it's easier when there isn't a choice, lol!!
Unread 03-17-2002, 08:01 PM
Cervix Pro's & Con's

Hi there Henna !

Welcoem to Hystersisters. You have come to a great place for support and information.

The Cervix: hmm. Well I can only give you my opinion. My cervix was removed with my TAH. I also had a bladder suspension and kept my ovaries. I am 35 years old.

I to was worried about my sex life post hyster. I had a wonderful sex life with my bf prior to my hyster (when i was not bleeding that is).

Okay this will sound silly but, I was not sure mine was even removed after my hyster. My GYN explained to me i was having a TAH. I asked " so my uterus?" He said "yes" Well.. since they do not concider the cervix as a seperate organ of the uterus, he did not even think to tell me that meant "cervix" as well..

Day of enlightening: I found out for sure mine was in fact removed "cervix" LOL I was not really sure what i felt about it honestly.

Me and my BF experimented some during recovery time. Sinse nothing in the "vigina" was on hold, we dabbled in the 4play a lot!. "The big O's" were just as intense as before. This time with no cramping following them.

Once we were cleared for sex we took it slow and built up to it. I was so pleasently surprised it was awesome!. He said he could tell no difference except it felt somewhat tighter along the back wall where my cervix once was.

I would like to add I had high level dysplasia of the cervix. I had no choice but have it removed to prevent cancer from developing. I was very worried about the whole surgery and how things would be after the fact. I now have no worries. All is good and life has been given back to me "pain free"

Gather your information and learn all you can. Ask your Dr questions until you can make an educated decision that will give you peace of mind.

's and welcome, please keep us all updated on your up coming surgery and how your doing.

Michele
Unread 03-18-2002, 12:45 PM
Cervix ?

The cervix is not considered a separate organ, it is just the opening to the uterus. It is about the size of a coat button. After the uterus is removed it no longer has a function. The ligaments to support the vagina are attached to other ligaments in the abdominal cavity. Also, the cervix has nothing to do with supporting any of the remaining organs.
Unread 03-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Cervix ?

Whether or not to keep your cervix is a difficult question to answer, each of us has to make a decision that's best for ourselves, but I can give you some things to think about. Discuss these things with your doctor, and between the two of you, you can make the best decision for YOU.

1. Cancer. Is there any history of cancer in your family? Removing the cervix drastically lowers your chances of cervical cancer (still a remote possibility due to the chance of some cells being left behind)

2. Bleeding. Some women who keep their cervix end up having "mini-periods" monthly (only if they also have at least one ovary). These seem to be rare, and are very light, but are a possibility.

3. Sex. There are many conflicting opinions on whether the cervix contributes to sexual pleasure. Ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers. I can say in MY case, at least, sex is wonderful after the surgery (I had my cervix removed). My doctor told me it wouldn't make a difference, and in my case at least, she was right - neither myself nor my husband can tell any difference.

Keep reading, talk to your doctor, and good luck with your decision!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register