post-op sexual relations | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post-op sexual relations post-op sexual relations

Unread 03-17-2002, 10:37 AM
post-op sexual relations

I am patiently awaiting my hyst. My surgery date is March 27.Only a week and a half away. yeh! yeh! My question is kind of different and personal. Sorry! I am 30 and my husband is 34. we have a 10, 9, and 3 year old. we have a wonderful sex life.At my pre-op the dr. said no sexual intercourse for 6 weeks after surgery, My husband is used to getting it on a regular basis,except for the last 3 months,but still getting it at least once a week,if there isn't any thing else that we can do I know he will be completly understanding, but if anyone out there has experienced trying any thing new during the 6 wk. post-op no sex,please inform me. This is kind of embarrasing but I feel better asking you princesses than asking my Dr.

Thanks for responding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 10:47 AM
post-op sexual relations

Dear bjS3/27:

Please don't feel embarrassed for asking that question. I just joined Hyster Sisters today myself and have wondered that very same question. My TAH is scheduled for 4/12/02 and I too would be interested in reading replies from those who have gone before.

I'm sure our dh's will appreciate any information that we can find out!

Hang in there sweetie......it'll be here and gone before we know it.
Unread 03-17-2002, 11:23 AM
post-op sexual relations

Hi. I did a Thread on sex after Hyst and there were lots of replies. Try to find my Poll on Sex Thread on the Post-op Board. Hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 11:46 AM
post-op sexual relations

Please don't be embarrassed.. We all need to be able to rely on eachother for even the most intimate ?'s. It has been several months since my dh and I have had actually intercourse.. we have found other ways to get around the fact that it hurts toooooo much with penetration.. I think if you explore your imagination you both will be just fine... hope your surgery goes well and recovery is even better..
Unread 03-17-2002, 12:00 PM
post-op sexual relations

You really need to talk to your GYN. Remember ANY thing in the vagina is a big no-no. Not only can you get a vaginal infection which is very painful, you can also end up going in for more surgery for problems you have brought on yourself with carelesness. You have only one chance to heal and your hubby is a big boy. If he truely loves you he can wait the 6-8 weeks you need for clearance. What is this is the scope of a lifetime together? This is major surgery and you are not even going to feel like sex for at least a month and then its restraint time. I am sure you had to restrain after the births of your children and this is much much MUCH more involved. Please realize the severity of this operation and give your body the proper time to heal.
P.S. I hope this does not come across too severly. I am just really concerned about you! and there are ways you can give your hubby a hand so to speak.
Unread 03-17-2002, 12:16 PM
It will be worth the wait in the long run

I am 5 weeks post TAH/BSO and my husband has been more than patient, knowing that my recovery is more important than him "getting it on a regular basis". I agree with Sheri - you should discuss this with your doctor and only do what he/she says is okay -- it will be worth the wait in the long run - you don't want an infection or need to have other surgeries due to not waiting for the healing to be complete. I am sure your husband will be understanding that your health is more important! I apologize if this is too much to the point - just take care of yourself.

Good luck with your surgery - it won't be long til it is over and recovery really does go by fast.
Unread 03-17-2002, 12:22 PM
post-op sexual relations

s & welcome to HysterSisters!!!

Please listen to you dr. It can be very unsafe for you to have intercourse too early after a hyst. There are other ways to be intimate without it. If you have your cervix removed, the stitches at the vaginal cuff can be popped, leaving an opening into the abdominal cavity. Regardless of whether you keep your cervix or not, you could pop other stitches and you could set yourself up for infection and increase the amount of time to heal. This would mean you'd also have to wait longer than the initial 6 weeks before resuming intercourse. Please, please be patient. If you heal right, it will be much more pleasurable for you after the 6 weeks and will be worth the wait.
Unread 03-17-2002, 12:32 PM
post-op sexual relations

BjS, I agree with the last 3 ladies............PLEASE discuss this with your doctor and only do what he suggests. Anything else besides his orders can have serious complications. Honey, it is only 6 weeks or so and then life wii get back to normal if you rest and take care of yourself in all aspects. I am a slow healer and my DH had to wait 10 weeks and he didn't die. It will be worth the wait!!!!! Take care and good luck with your surgery..........

Emily til doc says ok!
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:10 PM
post-op sexual relations

Hello Bjs
I agree with the other Sisers. You really need to give your body the time it needs to heal. Like someone else said if you hurt yourself, then you will have to wait a lot longer than 6 weeks. Please Please listen to your Doctors orders on this, it is very important that you wait the full 6 weeks.
It will be fun for you and your DH to find creative ways to be intimate without intercourse.
Then when you get cleared by your Dr. for intercourse, you can plan a special romantic night with candles, and champagne.
Take Care of You
s
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:59 PM
post-op sexual relations

Talk to your doctor, and better yet, your dh needs to talk to your doc! Please explore "alternative" methods to intercourse. My dh and I had sex without penetration one week post op, penetration early can rip stitches and then you would be looking at real trouble and maybe another major surgery! I think that men do not realize the surgical damage done internally, and when they are informed, would be more concerned with your recovery in the short term, so there would not be a longer recovery in the future. Communication and information is the foremost here. You will have to decide what you are comfortable with. Best of luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register