post-op sexual relations - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post-op sexual relations post-op sexual relations

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:12 PM
post-op sexual relations

BJS3/27:

Ditto what many others have said ... vaginal penetration is a strict NO-NO for at least 6 weeks. Your gyn will give you the specifics he/she recommends. Some ladies need to wait several weeks longer if they are not healing properly. We're not trying to scare you, but I've read posts here from ladies who did not heed this recommendation, had sex too early, ended up in the emergency room for "repairs." Not a pretty sight, I'm sure.

There are other ways to be intimate, without vaginal penetration. Be creative, but be safe. You only get one chance to heal properly from this surgery. Do everything you can to make sure you heal without complications. Then life will be great again, sex will be great again (really!)

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 05:16 PM
post-op sexual relations

If your husband cares about you, chances are he would happily make the "sacrifice" of 6 weeks to ensure your smooth recovery. Just because he's used to having sex more often doesn't mean he won't be perfectly willing to hold off (or explore alternatives).

Melissa
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:34 PM
post-op sexual relations

I cant add anything more, the other ladies have said it all. I just wanted to be another voice telling you to listen to your doctor and follow his orders. I understand you being more comfortable asking us than your doc but keep in mind he/she has seen and heard everything so dont be shy about it. Talk to your doc.....and listen.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 05:45 PM
post-op sexual relations

BJS3 - If I read your question right, you are looking for alternatives during the six week wait, right?

I think that the no intercourse/nothing in the vagina rule does NOT mean you can't be intimate with your DH during that time. Keeping in mind that those are very real and important restrictions,(again, NOTHING in the vagina) pretty much anything goes for HIM. NOT for you....even orgasm can stress your internal stitches and your muscles will be extremely sore and tender (if you even have the inclination, which you probably won't!).

Remember that you can cuddle, kiss, etc.....I'm sure after three children and many years together, you guys can figure out some alternatives. Just stick to the rules, as the others here have said, and you will be fine.

Good luck!

Karen
Unread 03-17-2002, 06:29 PM
post-op sexual relations

Sexual intercourse has been too painful for me the last year...soooo my husband and I have engaged in mutual masturbation. What fun we had finding new ways to pleasure each other ......by the way we are both in our 50's. It was nice to try something different after all these years

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register