Should I keep my ovaies? =o/ | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I keep my ovaies? =o/ Should I keep my ovaies? =o/

Unread 03-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Should I keep my ovaies? =o/

This question keeps replaying over and over in my mind... I'm VERY comfortable with having my uterus and cervix out, as they are causing my so many problems, but, I am confused about the ovaries. I know that if I keep them I won't have to go on any HRT, which is a big plus, but I worry about getting ovarian cancer or later having to have another major surgery to have them out.. UGH, this is so hard! My right ovary seems to like to make a home for cysts.. I don't know if that is a precurser to cancer or not? What should I do? Maybe I should have the doctor decide when he gets in there? Do they take tissue samples of the ovaries to make sure there is no cancer present, or what? How do they determine if your ovaries or "okay"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Good Question

Hello Julie,

Just wanted to let you know. Please discuss this throughly with your GYN. I myself also had the choice to "keep" or to "stay" with long discussion with GYN finally agreed to let them go. Keep in mind, I like you are still young. (I'm 32) I have a 10 cm GYN said possibility of getting them on my ovaries too. Then he would probably have to go in again. Thank you very much, but this is going to be a "one way ticket" IN and that is it...... I pleaded, prayed and cried and got advice from other sisters.... We are not close enough to memopause for them to shrink, so all must come out! (in my case) You do what YOU think will be the best for you in the long haul. I go in tomorrow.... and I am out of my wits! Please take time to decide for yourself. I look at it like this, I would rather be regulated on hormones then to have surgery AGAIN!

Good luck and I will for you!

Cheryl
Unread 03-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Hi Julie

Cheryl gave you very good advice, talk to your DR. They are the one that can give you all the info on what they can and can't do. Maybe he will be able to tell when he gets in or maybe he thinks you should have them out, like I said YOUR DR will know what to tell you in answering most of your questions. I like cheryl let my DR decide and she removed them both, I would have prefered to have kept at least one, but both were a mess inside and out. But you decide what is best for you. Each sister's surgery is different even though we all have the same surgery. Our bodies are all different so have a little chat with the DR and I bet you will make that decision easily. God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 01:04 PM

This is going to sound like a broken record, but I go along with talk to your dr and ask him/her about the pros and cons for YOU. You ask some excellent questions and have very real and legitimate concerns. Don't be afraid to call the dr's office and ask them!

I don't believe that cysts are necessarily precursors to cancer - lots of women have cysts, and the chances of ovarian cancer, barring strong family history or genetic defects, is pretty low.

There are a lot of things to consider in taking or leaving ovaries, and it is something you will have to decide with medical counsel. They look at things like your age (the closer to menopause, the more likely to consider taking them out), family history of ovarian cancer, and a lot of other things. For me, it was a bit of a no-brainer, though I wasn't crazy about surgical menopause and the potential pitfalls of HRT. I had a mass on one ovary which might have been cancerous, and some family history of ovarian cancer, and I'm 48 - pretty close to menopause. But each individual has different circumstances that come into play.

Good luck - you'll make the right decision for you!
Unread 03-17-2002, 01:16 PM

Hi Julie - I become what I call a partial Princess on April 2. Had my pre-op with DR and ultrasound a few days ago and same discussion with DR. I'm very lucky. I have prolapse and one very small fibroid so she will be able to do all vaginal taking only uterus and cervix (with suspension of bladder). My ovaries are small (3 on a scale of 1 to 10) and I'm 49. DR said if I had needed abdominal hyst she would have taken ovaries too. I told her I was leaving it up to her what she wanted to take and what she wanted to leave. If you have confidence in your DR let him decide what's best for you. Is this an incredible site or what? I'd be nuts without it this past couple of weeks. Just ordered myself the Princess Package - wearing coverup in the Castle. I might just give my crown to my DR! All of us LIWs are a little nervous right now so you're in good company. Take care and good luck! Pam

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register