Morphine or Demerol pump? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Morphine or Demerol pump? Morphine or Demerol pump?

Unread 03-17-2002, 02:11 PM
Morphine or Demerol pump?

I noticed in reading posts that some hystersisters had a morphine pump for pain and others had a demerol pump. My surgery is scheduled on April 1st so I am starting to think "pain meds." I know that I have had demerol before with childbirth and in the pill form for endometriosis, and I know that I am not allergic to it. However, this would be my first time having morphine so I am a little nervous. I do plan on talking this over with my doctors during my pre-op appointments. I have sensitive skin and have problems in the evening with itchy legs. In reading different posts I have seen a lot of hystersisters share of itching as a side effect of morphine. I did see that they can give you something to help with the itching. I'm just trying to decide if I should request a demerol pump instead of morphine. I wonder if any of our hystersister nurses know if demerol is as effective for severe pain as morphine is? Anybody have any experiences or thoughts they'd like to share? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 03:04 PM

(((((Jerianne)))))

Hi!

I had a TAH (kept both ovaries) on Nov 29, 01. I had a demerol pump after surgery. With a previous surgery, I did have a morphine pump. I too was itchy from the morphine, but it really wasn't that bad.

I suggest that you talk it over at your pre-admission appt. Just let them know about your concerns with the itchyness (sp). Also, when you talk with the anesthesiologist the day of your surgery, mention it again...you can never be too proactive when it comes to your health.

I found that the demerol pump kept me quite comfy after the surgery. The IV and the cath were removed the following day too, then I was able to take Vicoden ES by mouth for pain control. To be honest with you, the pain after the hyst was MUCH less than it was prior to the surgery.

Please keep us posted as to what the Dr's say about your choice. Good luck with your surgery.

Love and Loads of 's
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:25 PM

Definitely talk to your doctor about this, Jerianne - things vary from doctor to doctor, and depending on the type of anesthesia you have. I had a spinal with sedation. They gave me morphine with this, and I didn't have any kind of a pump - no need for one. I had no pain at all till the next morning, and then when I had a little pain, they put a bit more morphine in my iv (after some anti-nausea med at my request) - after that, the iv came out, and I was on pills for pain. Personally, had no itching at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 03:31 PM

Jerianne,
As others have suggested, talk to your gyn and the anesthesiologist about morphine vs. demoral or other pain killers. Mention that you have problems with itchiness already ...

Either way, the good news is that the hospitals have a number of options with regard to pain killers and will do their best to keep you comfortable post surgery. I never had morphine before my hyst, but I was fine with it. You just don't know. I was only on the morphine pump for about 12 hours after surgery, then it was removed and they switched me to percocet. Another great drug for managing pain.

Best of luck!

Beth
Unread 03-17-2002, 04:14 PM

I was on Demerol pump and then went to Demerol pills. It worked pretty well. The first day I had Toradol with it and it helped alot. I have never had morphine. I did not itch with Demerol and I did not get sick. I was glad about that.

Good Luck !! Talk to your doc...Hugs teresa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register