Am I a good candidate for a hyster... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I a good candidate for a hyster... Am I a good candidate for a hyster...

Unread 03-17-2002, 11:43 AM
Am I a goof candidate for a Hyster

Hello everyone. I had a pelvic ultrasound last Thursday. It showed several small/tiny fibroids in my uterus, and a very large cyst, in addition to several smaller ones, on both ovaries. The large cyst are over 65% of the size of my ovaries.

When I initally met with my GYN regarding severe right sided pain which drove me to ER, she stated that the pain was probaly ue to a ruptured cyst. She also informed me that I could go the hyster route or meds. She then stated, and I quote "I love performing surgery, however, I do not want to perform surgery unnecessarily." This was prior to my ultrasound.

I do not want to bother with meds at all. I have been living with a dull ache on my right side for over 12 years, along with painful and heavy cycles, which also include clotting. When I had my ultrasound done, I was in pain afterwards and it caused cramping. They used the vaginal probe and that was no fun.

Also, just yesterday, my husband and I went running. While jogging I felt a pain on my left lower abdomen. It is so painful that I am now limping. I've put icy hot on the area, laid on a heating pad, and have taken meds to no avail.

I guess I do not want guessing, I do not want a D&C or meds. Overall, I don't know if I'm a good candidate for a hyster. I just know that I want the pain and discomfort to go away.

What do you guys think! Please let me know.

Tonya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 02:59 PM
Am I a good candidate for a hyster...

It sounds to me like you already know what you what to do, but need a little validation that you are choosing the right thing. You said that you didn't want to deal with meds at all, and that you have been in pain for years. I think you have your answer.

I can tell you from my own experience that I have wanted my problems to just go away without doing anything. Or, maybe just doing vitimins or exercise, but none of that took my problems away. I know it is scary making a decision even when you are suffering and the answer seems obvious. So it is helpful to have others tell us that we are making the right choice.

What did your doctor say after the ultrasound about you needing surgery? It seems she gave you two routes, and you don't want the long and unsure route of meds and a D&C, so....are you a canidate for a hysterectomy? Your doctor said that you were. You are in pain and have been having problems for 12 years. It seems to me that you are a canidate for a hysterectomy, but like so many of us, wish that you weren't Mu surgery is on April 1st and still in the back of my mind I'm trying to figure a way out of this Or I think that I've been dealing with this pain for so long, surely I can deal with it a little longer. That is until I have a really bad bout and then I wished I had the hysterectomy "yesterday!" Just remember how you felt when you had to go to the ER, and maybe write down how you were feeling. That helps when you feel better later and think that maybe you don't need the hysterectomy. I wish you the best on making your decision and hope whatever you decide will bring you relief real soon
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:05 PM
Tonya

Hugs. This will be one of the most important decisions that you will have to make and it is one that should not be made lightly. It is a decision that you along with your surgeon will have to make. Please before deciding, read all you can on the subject, use the pull down menus and even come into chat for some advice and a hug.
My personal opinion is that the Hyst that I had was one of the best decisions that i could have made. it was a very hard one to make and I put it off for well over 12 months. I do feel heaps better now and am glad that I made the decision that i did. The decision you make is one that you have to be happy and comfortable with.
I wish you all the best and keep us posted on how it is going. hugs Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 03:10 PM

TonyaE,
So glad you found us at Hystersisters! Since we are not medical professionals, all we can offer is our personal opinions. As for whether or not you are a good candidate for a hyst, only you and your doctor can make this determination. It's almost always a good idea to get a second opinion, so this might be a good option for you right now.
Please understand that we will support you, whatever way we can. A hyst is major surgery and not something to be taken lightly. I can hear that you are suffering and feel that a hyst is the most definite answer/cure. You may be right. However, the doctors will take many other things into account such as your age, overall health, risk factors for surgery, etc. A hyst is not something to rush into, although it may be your best option at some point. Keep in mind that while many ladies do very well after a hyst, others do have complications. There are risks with any surgery.

Please try to be patient as you continue to discuss this with your doctor and perhaps another gyn for a second opinion. Let us know how you are doing and what your gyn (and any others) recommend.

Beth
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:18 PM

s & welcome to HysterSisters!

I agree with what the others have said & wanted to add one more thing. You may want to check with your insurance company and see if they will pay for a hyst at this point. Sometimes they won't until other options have been tried first. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but just don't want you to plan on having surgery and then the insurance company not covering it.
Unread 03-17-2002, 04:21 PM

TonyaE
I'm not sure what you mean by a good candidate. Usually, a good candidate for surgery would imply that the patient is otherwise in good health, has a good attitude about surgery, and would be cooperative with all recovery stages. I have the feeling that this is not what you are asking.

Perhaps you want to know if you are justified wanting the surgery without trying the other options the doctor suggested.
Twelve years is along time to live in pain. I believe you are mostly bothered by your doctor saying the word,"UNNECESSARILY." Just remember that was prior to your tests that certainly prove you have gynological problems. No doubt you are anxious to get on with your life. Without the threat of cancer often our doctors give us a choice of surgery. When we have a choice we drive ourselves nuts with the decision.

Basically, you deserve to live pain free, if it is a possibility. Often, the bottom line is a decission for, "quality of life". And if you have the surgery with the full support of your doctor but end up with a few recovery difficulities...then your positive attitude and gratefull appreciation for the help that you did recieve would make you a good candidate.

If it was sure thing that surgery would cure all and be totally risk free, all of us would be running for the castle door. I think you pass the test and deserve surgery if that is your choice supported by your doctor. Give yourself permission to take care of yourself.
Good luck with your decission...
Maralyn
Unread 03-17-2002, 06:09 PM

I think I understand where you are coming from. I am having a TAH/ Poss BSO in May. I have thought many times "am I doing the right thing?" It is not a life threating problem. I have numerous ovarian cysts also. I have ruptured two of them. I also have abnormal bleeding that has gone from occasional spotting to Occasionally I don't spot.

Between the cysts and the bleeding 20 - 25 days of the month and the pain from the cysts, after three years of drugs to try control the bleeding and the pain from the cysts, I am ready to throw in the towel and get my life back. My Dr has said many times over the past several years, he will do anything and everything I want to try and control this without surgery, but surgery is the only cure. So after meds, biopsys, D&C's, repeated US, pain and aggrivation, I just had to know that "I" was ready for it. Now I am.

Caren

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register