New to this list | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to this list New to this list

Unread 03-17-2002, 02:30 PM
New to this list

I've been reading some of the messages and realize I'm not alone with my fears of surgery. I will be having a radical abdominal hysterectomy in the first week of April for "early" cervical cancer just diagnosed after routine pap smear showed severe dysplasia, had colposcopy with biopsies and two weeks ago had general anesthesia for a cone biopsy confirming this diagnosis. I'm 43 and have dh who is very supportive and plans to take FMLA for two or three weeks to care for me, ds age 13 and a dd age 7, who has had multiple surgeries and is ready to be my nurse at home! I have never had surgery before, and just trying to get myself ready for this procedure. I'm told I will have a catheter in for about a week. How uncomfortable is the catheter? Does it hurt when it is pulled? My incision will be a vertical incision, but I'm told that they will not cut the muscles...they will move them out of the way. Hmmm...will that make the recovery quicker, I wonder? I'm sure I'll have more questions, particularly about surgical menopause...I'm told I'll go on HRT. Glad I found this list...it's very informative!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 02:51 PM
Hi Gail!

Hi Gail, It's great to have you! You will love the sisters, they are great. I haven't been here long and they are like my second family. Everyone has been so kind and helpful and so encouraging. I am having a TAH in 3 days possibly have ovaries removed. And my bladder tacked. Sounds like you will be in good hands with your family. There is much information that the ladies here can share with you and help you with. I think most of my concerns and questions have been satisfied. I have had a catheter several times. It's not too bad. Just a little uncomfortable because its something your not used to. But most the time you dont even know its there. But I'm sure some people may be more sensitive than others with different procedures. I welcome you and I will be in prayer for your and believing Christ for your quick healing and recovery. Blessings in Christ, Mikki Jo
's
Unread 03-17-2002, 02:56 PM
Weoclome

Hugs and a huge welcome, We are so glad that you found us.
Gail the fear of surgery would be the most thought of thought for nearly every woman who has faced this surgery. Please believe me when I tell you that you are not alone in this. i was more than terrified before my surgery but now on the other side i can honestly say that waiting is the worst.
I am so glad that they have found your cancer early. Please feel free to ask any question, no matter how cumb you think it may be. There is always some sister who is ready and willing to come to your aide. Use all the pull down menus and hey come on into chat, there is a great bunch of ladies that will give you a hug, a shoulder, reassurance or a good laugh.
Catheters, well they are ok, they are not painfull, just a wee bit annoying. Try not to pull on it, or accidently tug as it will be abit uncomfortable, but all in all they serve their purpose. It is good for the bladder to have a couple days of rest while the rest of you is healing.
You sound like you have a wonderful DH, so that is just great, he will be there for you which is nice on coming out of the castle. Make sure that you rest heaps upon coming home, listen to your body and you should be fine. Please keep us posted on how its all going. Hugs Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 03:03 PM
New to this list

Hi Gail, its nice to meet you. I live in northwestern CT - what section of Mass. are you in? This site is INCREDIBLE. I check it a few times a day. I too, am quite nervous about my surgery which is next month. This site has shown me that other women are going thru this and they CARE and understand. It's been so helpful to me. Even my hubby is calling me a punctured princess in waiting. He's a nurse and I know he'll be supportive of everything I am going to be going through. I read a post recently that a woman was singing on the way to the OR.......I think a positive attitude means everything..........think of this as a good thing. Thats the only thing that is getting me through this.

Good luck to you.
Lisa
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:12 PM
New to this list

Welcome to HysterSisters, Gail!!!

I too had severe dysplasia and am so relieved to get rid of that cervix! Yes, it's true they don't have to cut through the muscle to do a verticle incision. I guess a lot of people picture there being just one big muscle across the whole abdomen, but really there's more.

Like the other ladies said, the catheter is really not that bad. As a matter of fact, it's a relief not to have to get out of bed at first to go to the bathroom. When it's removed, you shouldn't feel any pain unless you've aggravated the tissues from pulling on the cath.

Sounds like you have wonderful family at home to help take care of you! That is so great!!!

Good luck with everything. We'll be here routing for you!
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:17 PM
New to this list

Hi Gail,
I am from MA also.... this is a great site, read and read lots of posts and from the front page there is a pull down of alot of info. One thing you said you were told that you would go on HRT.... I don't know about you but nobody not even my doctor tells me what I will choose and wheather or not you go on HRT is YOUR decision. I have decided at least for now not to use HRT but to try using a more natural approach...soy and vitamins and herbs.. they even have especially formulated products for menopause..
anyway.. where abouts are you from.... as you can see in my profile I am from south of boston and am scheduled for april 23... I pray that it passes straight to may 23 so I will be a month into recovery....
hang in there... this is a great site
kara
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:50 PM
New to this list

Gail - I, too, am glad they found your cancer early!! Sounds like you have a wonderful, supportive family. No, you're definitely not alone with your fears!!

The catheter wasn't that bad for me - you do have to remember to move it around with you, and want to avoid tangling your legs in it. It was just a quick weird feeling when they took it out, but it didn't hurt.

I was surprised and very pleased to find they don't cut the muscles, too

Ask away - everyone here is very helpful, and will do all they can to help

Lisa, you are SO right - a positive attitude is really really important. This doesn't mean you aren't scared, and it doesn't mean you may not have moments of being stressed out about it all, but an overall positive outlook will do wonders!
Unread 03-17-2002, 06:25 PM
New to this list

Hi Alisa, Thanks for sharing about the catheter! I'll try to be careful with it!! I do have a really positive attitude...my dr tells me it will be a "bump in the road in my life"...I kind of like that statement!

Hi Kara, I live in Tewksbury, north of Boston, inbetween Wilmington and Andover. Where do you live? Where are you having your surgery done? Mine will be either at Beth Israel or at Mt. Auburn...should here definite date and hospital this week. I have not really talked to my dr's about HRT yet, and they do not seem to be in a hurry to discuss that with me yet. Guess there is time after the surgery is done. Just something else I need to look into!!

PDawn, I agree...can't wait for the surgery to be done and get everything out! I'm glad that I'm getting some good beforehand knowledge so I know what to expect in terms of recovery! Thanks!

Lisa, That's great that your husband is a nurse....he will come in so handy for you both medically and emotionally!! I live about 30 minutes north of Boston (heading towards New Hampshire). I used to work in a Day Surgery unit for years (quit about 4 yrs ago) and have several friends who are nurses and they have been a big help to me!

Vicki, Thanks so much for your welcome. I am definitely feeling like I can get through this! I am doing a meditation-type program prior to surgery...it is a program that a nurse started and it has shown results in healing faster, less bleeding, and just being more calm prior to surgery. I'm trying to be very proactive!

Mikko Jo, Thanks for the welcome and good luck on your surgery. Like you, I'm thinking positive thoughts. Hang in there. Looking forward to hearing how well you have done post-hysterectomy.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! There is something about women understanding women....my husband doesn't get some things, although he is very supportive!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register