Nervous Breakdown??Tuesdays the day | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous Breakdown??Tuesdays the day Nervous Breakdown??Tuesdays the day

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:11 PM
Nervous Breakdown??Tuesdays the day

My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, I keep crying and my patience is non-existence. I'm fine one minute, saying that I can do it, then I'm like in lala land thinking this can't be happening to me. I'm so afraid of waking up from my surgery and either being sick or in pain, or hearing bad news. I went to church today, was put on the prayer list, talked with the pastor and I still feel like I'm letting God, myself and everyone down because I'm not being braver about this. This constant crying one minute, yelling the next, freaking out, worry about how I'll feel when I come out of surgery, if I'll be sick, if I'll handle the hormones okay, when I can get up, how much to walk, not wanting to be alone at all in the hospital, even if I will be able to poop! I'm on stress overload. My cat of 18 years just seems to have developed some sickness so I don't want to leave her though she's in good hands. "And" on top of that I get my period today......I hope it's true the wait is the worse, because I'm just plain wore out. I want to get in there and back home as soon as possible. Any advice????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:20 PM

Hi Gracie,
I hear you ... you're almost there but you feel like you just can't get through these next two days. Take a deep breath. You really will be okay. Yes, things can go wrong but you have to think positively about this. You are having this surgery to IMPROVE your life. Focus on the other side of this, if you can. Yes, some people have complications but lots more do just great. Focus on how you are going to be one of those ladies who does just great ... keep images of your guardian angels hovering over you and taking care of you in your mind. Now is the time to really lean on your faith.

Fear of the unknown is so powerful, and that's what this is. No one can say for sure exactly what this will be like for you, but chances are really good that you are imagining something far worse than what you will experience. Remember, millions of women before you have survived this surgery and lived to tell about it! Many of us even live more happy and productive lives afterwards (I'm one!).

I know you are terrified ... I was terrified too. But you will make it, Gracie. I'm praying for you, thinking of you, sending all the reasurrance I can to you. Take another deep breath. Keep breathing. You can do this. You are stronger than you think.

Beth
Unread 03-17-2002, 04:30 PM

Gracie -

Being scared is very normal, and being brave DOESN'T mean you can't also be scared - you are not letting ANYONE down! We all have gone through all the "what ifs" and most of the time, none of those things we feared come to pass - for me, the waiting and worrying was definitely the worst part of the whole experience.

In terms of the hormones, I had a patch put on in recovery, and have been doing fine on estrodoil. Many many women handle the hormone issues without a lot of trouble, though it's a personal decision you should discuss with your doc as to how to do it.

Personally, I couldn't believe how good I felt when I came out of surgery, was briefly sick that night, but it wasn't too bad. The nurses will get you up and walking as soon as they feel you can. They had me standing up a few minutes the evening of my surgery (which was in the morning). and I was walking around a little bit the next day. You'll build up the amount you feel like walking. but it is an important thing to do. You'll eventually be able to poop, but probably the first thing is passing gas! Both of these will be helped by drinking lots of fluids, and walking. I was given a gas-x type thing and colase (a stool softener) in the hospital to help me with that, but it took 4 days till I had a bm.

I got my period a few days before my surgery, too - just remember it'll be the last one you have to deal with!! And, it'll be a real short one :-)

As an animal lover, I can understand your concern about your fur baby - HUG.

Hang in there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:38 PM

Dearest Gracie,

Beth and Alica are wise experienced women. Copy their posts and take it with you...read it over and over while waiting.

If you believe in a higher power, now is the time to give it all up. Let the thoughts and worries go from your shoulders toward heaven. Worry no more... The only way to the other side is to go through it...hurry up and get there so you can come home. You are going to be OK.

waiting with you,

Maralyn
Unread 03-17-2002, 04:40 PM

Hi Gracie -- I was really scared too & felt like the world's biggest wimp. I was astonished at how easy it all was. The hardest part for me was dealing with my BOREDOM after I came home. I found it helped to tell people what I was worried about, especially nurses/doctors if I had specific medical concerns; you mentioned hormones. Talk to your doc or a female nurse, let them know you need not just a prescription but some support, information, alternatives. My concern was about postop nausea and when I talked to people about it they wrote it in my chart, they let me know what treatments there were, they asked me how I felt after I woke up, they helped me find a drug that worked for it. In other words, I felt that they helped to shoulder some of that burden & solve the problem with me, and that made me less anxious.

You're going to be fine. You're taking care of your health, not letting anyone down. Imagine yourself saying to God, "I feel like I'm letting you down," and then imagine what kind of loving & supportive answer you might get in return. Be really nice to yourself right now -- warm baths, candles, whatever makes you feel relaxed & comforted.

Katie
Unread 03-17-2002, 07:21 PM
I'm right there with you....

Just wanted to let you know I am right there in the same boat as you. My surgery is Thursday. My husband is so sweet, he's going a long with my moods. One minute I'm crying, the next laughing, and then I am yelling about one thing or another. He's keeping his cool and whatever mood I'm in, he lets me be. I seem to be spending a lot of time in our bedroom just by myself. It's giving me quiet time and I do a lot of praying and just getting my thoughts together. I too went to church this morning. But I guess my nerves are getting to me and spent most of the time in the bathroom. My girls kept me up to date on what I was missing. Even had the bible turned to the chapters we were reading. I have sent out so many prayer requests to family and friends and to thier churches they attend.
My nerves were so bad, I had to go get some anxiety medicine. I wasn't eating, sleeping. I was very nauseated. <spelling>. But I'm feeling better. I feel like I'm walking in a dream. I guess it's the medication. But I'm sleeping better and my appetite is better but not that great.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless,

TGalvin
Unread 03-17-2002, 07:30 PM

Boy do I know how you feel. I was the same way 11 days ago. I am now 10 days post op. It will be okay. I am only 31 and felt so afraid I was snapping at the kids, the hubby, the parents who came to help. sorry guys. But............ I made it. It was not a quarter as bad as I had let my imagination make it.
Take a bath, a long walk, relax to some music, no sappy crappy stuff, realize this is a difficult time and tho you think you are letting people down by not being "brave enough", I found out those around you are feeling the same way and maybe.....you should give your loved ones a chance to help you. Talk to them. I finally did, I said, "maybe I'm losing it, maybe it's fear, hormones, whatever but I feel ...............". I found out those around me were just as scared, but made me realize I wasn't crazy, or letting anyone down. This is serious stuff and you have a right to be upset. Relax, we've been there, and you are not letting anyone down.
God Bless, if you have any questions, please email, I'll give any and all details of what I went through just 10 days ago.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register