What about Jewelry? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What about Jewelry? What about Jewelry?

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:42 PM
What about Jewelry?

Hi...

This is totally off from any questions I have asked about anything related to surgery. But are you allowed to wear your wedding band during surgery or is there swelling that would prevent you from wearing it? I just got married Oct. 5, and can't imagine being without my wedding band. And also are you allowed to wear polish on fingers or toes? If not color can you wear atleast a clear coat?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:53 PM
What about Jewelry?

Hi Rox

I wore my wedding ring into surgery, the admitting nurse placed a piece of tape over it. I'm not sure about finger nail polish but can't see a problem with clear.

Best wishes for your uncoming surgery and a speedy recovery.
Unread 03-17-2002, 04:55 PM
What about Jewelry?

Every hospital is different on this issue. Jewelry in general is a no-no.....but exceptions can usually be made for wedding rings....they will just wrap some tape around it. My hospital said nail polish was okay but always ask first!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:58 PM
My hospital said no.....

No polish and no jewelry. DH held my wedding band until we saw each other after I was brought out of recovery. He tenderly put it back on my finger.
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:04 PM
What about Jewelry?

My hospital said no to jewelry...didn't ask about the nail polish. My husband had my ring in his pocket and gave it to me right after surgery..
Good luck
Lorraine
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:09 PM
What about Jewelry?

My hospital had me remove my wedding ring -- I think to be sure it didn't get stolen. I mean, I was unconscious. I didn't mind letting my husband hold it till I woke up again.

Melissa
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:57 PM
nail polish...

I imagine you can wear polish on your toes, but leave it off at least one finger on each hand--it's so they can put a little clippy thing called a pulse oximeter on that finger and tell what the oxygen saturation of your blood is. If you watch ER you may have seen them; they don't hurt or anything, just fit over your fingertip and measure the oxygen through the fingernail with a red light. Polish makes it hard for the light to get through and can mess up your readings. They keep a close watch on your O2 saturation while you're under anesthesia.
Hope that helps!
Unread 03-17-2002, 07:04 PM
What about Jewelry?

As you can see, each hospital is different. Call the admitting office of yours, and ask what the policy is.

I left my jewelry home and wore a cheap plastic watch after surgery so I could see the time. I put my rings back on once I got home.

Just call and ask!

Karen
Unread 03-18-2002, 06:54 AM
What about Jewelry?

I was told no jewelry and no nail polish. Husband held onto my rings until after the surgery for me. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-18-2002, 10:45 AM
What about Jewelry?

Rox -
TVH 2/20/02. For my own protection and safety, I removed all jewelry and left it at home. Besides, I was only in the hospital 1.5 days.

I have acrylic nails, which I had let grow out for about 3 weeks pre-op so that my natural nail beds showed. If you do not remove your polish prior to surgery, they may have you take it off once you get to the hospital. However, I think clear might work.

Good luck!
margie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register