Getting ready for surgery...3/21 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting ready for surgery...3/21 Getting ready for surgery...3/21

Unread 03-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Getting ready for surgery...3/21

Hi everyone. I first want to say everyone in this group is great and so supportive. My aunt gave me this site and I am ever so thankful. I am having surgery Thursday. Feeling scared, anxious, depressed and moods of crying. What am I to do? My hubby took me shopping yesterday to get me ready for my castle stay. Got some new "jammies" a travel kit, which I call my castle kit. Got some books, magazine, and a puzzle book. He is trying so hard to keep my mind off things. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. I don't know if I will get any reading done in the hospital or not. I'm scared to death of hospitals and often have panic attacks. Should I mention this to my DR tomorrow when I go to pre op? I know my husband can't stay with me 24/7 but he said I will be pretty much medicated the entire time I'm there.
I have a lot of questions for my DR tomorrow and the anesteologist. <spelling>. I want to know what is right for me. I have never taken Morphine and the thought of that scares me. I would prefer Demoral or something else. I haven't had a medicine pack, does that go into your iv or what? If it doesn't, I am going to ask for shots straight into my IV. I have had minor surgeries but not anything like this. So I'm trying to stay brave and keep my faith. I have sent out so many prayer requests. To the church we go to, friends, family, and to their churches. Am I crazy for doing this or what.
The last time I had surgery, which was a minor one. Before I went in, I imagined me and God walking along the beach with my aunt that passed away several years ago and with my brother that passed away when I was only 4. That helped me so much.
But I have been having horrible nightmares. About death. Not me dying but people I don't know. It's like I'm there but don't know why I'm there. I don't know these people and don't even see their faces. Just a closed casket. Today, I woke up crying from a dream. All I remember is someone being in a lady's house and she was having to go to her daughter's funeral. Just so happen my husband was in the bedroom and asked me to tell him about it. I told him, If I could have told this person someone was in her house, maybe her daughter would not have died. None of my dreams make any sense what so ever. Did anyone go through this?
I would love to have all the suggestions I can get. People say the waiting is the worst part. I hope that's true. I'm just ready to get this all over.
Thanks for letting me vent about everything including my fears and dreams.

God Bless,

TGalvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 08:40 PM

s TGalvin & welcome to HysterSisters!!!

You have come to the right place and we're glad to have you join us here. Yes, I found that the waiting was really the hardest for me. It's normal to be nervous before having surgery and yes, you should tell your dr about your panic attacks just in case you have one at the castle.

I had all my meds through my IV until the next day when it was removed except for one shot for nausea. (I think that nurse was just being mean because all the other shots I got for it was through the IV.) After the IV was removed, all my meds were by mouth.

I had a PCA with Morphine and it was great for keeping away the pain and helping me to relax. It did cause me to be a little itchy (especially the nose), but that side effect was worth it since the medicine made me have a "really not care" attitude about it and kept me from hurting.

You may want to jot down a list of questions you have for your dr since it's easy to forget some while you're there. And if you do think of something later on, don't hesitate to call & ask.

Sounds like you have a great dh.

If you think of anything else you'd like to ask us, please do. Or come to the chat room.
Unread 03-17-2002, 08:58 PM

Hi TGalvin,

Hugs to you and prayers too. From reading almost everyday since February, I have seen almost everyone having these same types of dreams and fears. As soon as I got my date I started with a few of my own, as well as some crying jags.

Hold on tight to your faith. You are a very brave lady!!! Your imagination of walking with God and your aunt and brother is just beautiful and just the thing to think about now. HE will be with you this time too. I had surgery for breast cancer in December and the thing that helped me the most were the prayers and thoughts that God was right there with me through all of it. I had so many prayers offered by people of all different faiths, I felt so truly blessed. I will be asking for all those prayers again this time, cause I know this is what will help me the most. Having Hystersisters has added one more wonderful thing to help this time. Everyone is so wonderful here. Know that your fears and dreams are normal and that they will pass. This time next week, you will be a beautiful princess and on the road to a healthy recovery!!

God Bless. We will all be praying for you. Tell us LIW your experiences after you are feeling better. And keep posting now right up to your surgery to help you through this.

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 09:39 PM

Hi TGalvin ... I am 7 weeks post op from a TAH/BSO. I, like you, was sooooooooooooo scared for this surgery. I had never been in the hospital before except to have my kids (two times) I was only in for less than 24 hours both times. The last time was 13 years ago. Oh I wish you could know me and know how scared I was for this surgery. My friends and family were so worried about me for my fear of hospitals and surgeries. I didn't find this site untill after the surgery ... you are soooo lucky you have it before hand!!!!!!!!!!

Tell your Dr. your fears and about panic attacks. This way they can give you something when you get to the hospital in morning of your surgery to calm you. I had something in a tiny little cup that was clear liquid and tasted kind of strange but it did help take the edge off. My DH and kids were with me (my request) the whole time before I went to surgery. Remember you are paying them alot of money to take care of you, request whatever you want and you will most likely get it. Anyway, they were all with me from the minute we walked into the hospital untill they wheeled me to the OR. In the OR the Drs. and nurses and anest. were sooooooooo nice and understanding. I was bawling and shaking and so scared (the little drink took the edge off while I was still in the room waiting, not after the ride to the OR ). One nurse prayed with me while I breathed in something that made me feel so relaxed. I didn't have general anist. I had a spinal because of my great fear of being put under, so I was awake for the most part. Everyone was wonderful. I felt so calm and safe and good. Like I said earlier I wish you knew me, you would know that hearing all this from me is NOT what you would have expected. My friends are blown away when I tell them how well I did. *Big Smile*!!!!! After the surgery I was wheeled into the recovery room where I did not have to stay for too long. (I think that is cuz I wasn't put under) When I got back to my room my DH and kids were there. I was tired and don't remember much after that. I was in the castle for two days. I had everything through my IV for the first day after surgery. After that came out I had pills but no shots or anything like that. One time they took some blood, but again I don't really remember that. Couldn't even tell you if it was a man or woman who took it ... I hate getting blood taken. My worst day after the surgery was the day after, but I just let them pamper me and kept pushing the pain meds. button for my IV. I was soooo scared to have morphine and told Dr. that before surgery. Well, again I got what I wanted at the castle ... it was demeral (spelling). I have never had morphine so I don't know why I was scared of it, but I was. My surgery was on Mon. and I went home Wed. night. I wish there was something to tell you to make you not scared. I know how I was though and I don't think anyone could have calmed me down. It is funny though, just today we were in the town where I had my surgery and we drove past the hospital and I thought to myself .... I actually had major surgery WOOHOOO for me!!!!!!!!!! For me that is HUGE! I always said I would rather die than be in the hospital having surgery!!!! I was serious to when I said it. Then I thought as we were driving by there today ... and look at me now, 7 weeks later and I DID IT!!!! I feel good again, I lived through the castle experience, I am so proud of myself. I can't believe it has been 7 weeks, and I feel so good. I can't believe I can sit here and write to someone and say surgery isn't all that scary .... or all that bad .... Looking back to 7 weeks ago I guess what I really can't believe is why did I put myself through the pain and misery of being so dang scared??? The stress I put on myself during the waiting was NOT worth it. It just wasn't that bad. Remember TGalvin ... you are hearing these words from the worlds worst chicken when it comes to hospitals and surgeries!!!! You are going to be fine and when you are all done you are going to say ............. Why did I worry so much, that wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it would be. When you hit the 7 week post op mark send me an email and let me know how you are doing and what your feelings are ... I just bet they will be similar to mine. The very best of luck to you .... I will pray that you will have a peace now and through this whole ordeal. Lots of s to you.
Unread 03-17-2002, 10:23 PM
Pre op support

Hi , T Galvin,

Your so lucky to have found this site before your surgery. I just found it today and found all the answers that I was to embaresed to ask my MD (but did)about. Today I am 19days post TAH/BSO. I am doing very well. I went home 2 1/2 days after surgery. Believe me I was there like you are know waiting for the days to go by , thats the worst . But I had Severe Endometriosis and figured that the post surgery pain was not going to be even as close to, as the pain I had before surgery (for 10 years with pain and no diagnosis). And you know what I was right. Im getting around and about now, It was hard in the begining but with help you will manage. Before the surgery I was always crying by my self (of course to proud) not to worry anyone else in the house,dreaming of my past on relatives, but at the hospital everyone assured me it was okay to be afraid and cry, It's NORMAL...But if you need medication they can give you what you need as soon as you get to the hospital (as so to keep you calm). The anesthesiologist are great talk to them if possible before the surgery, they can answer all your questions as theyare the main person(s) to monitor you during surgery. The biggest thing we forget (since were so nervous) is that during the procedure WERE ASLEEP! and afterwards were given pain medication to help and before you know it gradually you will be taken off the meds. Heres a little hint as far as comfort is concerned. My bed is an extra firm mattress my DH went out and got whats called I think an egg crate its the size of the mattress and has lumps that look just like an egg crate/place under your sheets and you wont believe its the same bed. I was very uncomfortable- with the back aches you will experience, I did especially when I woke up in the Recovery Room it felt like I had mopped and waxed a school gym. But it only Gets better after surgery. Your quality of life will be given back to you, as I already feel. Keep your Faith always, will think of you on 03/21/02

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register