My pre-op is tomorrow with my ob/gyn... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My pre-op is tomorrow with my ob/gyn... My pre-op is tomorrow with my ob/gyn...

Unread 03-18-2002, 11:23 AM
My pre-op is tomorrow with my ob/gyn...

But my surgery is not until April 15th. My appt. with the hospital is April 9th.Is it just me ...or should my pre-op appt. be closer to my surgery date? I'm having a LAVH ...anyone with any good questions I should ask would be appreciated ? I'm going to try to keep both ovaries.I have endometriosis, bleeding very heavy/with extremely large clots ,with severe pain & pressure on both sides. I have had for laps in the past ...but I'm sure this one won't compare.Please feel free to tell me what your experience was . Everyone on this site has been great. It's great there is a place where we can come for not only support ,but loads of information.Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2002, 01:06 PM

Jo Anne -

My hospital requires the doctor saw me no more than one week before surgery (it was actually 8 days). But all hospital requirements are different.

Your appointment does sound a little far away from your actual "date with destiny". You might be required to follow-up with your gyne once more or see your internist as time gets closer?

Maybe calling your doc prior to the visit to ensure you don't have to make a second trip later might be in order.

Good luck!
Unread 03-18-2002, 01:10 PM

Joanne
My pre-op was one week before my surgery.If you can get the book" thru the land of hyster "It helped me with pre-op? and post-op ? there was a post with a list of ? for pre-op.
I asked about restrictions, incisions , pain meds, preventive antibiotics, apx hosp stay, how long the surgery would be, prep before surgery, bladder repair and if my organs would be sent to pathologist.
My LAVH lasted about 3 hours but I also had bladder and rectal repairs done. I was in hospital apx 30 hours before release doing well at home.
If I can answer any other ? let me know . You can send a private message thru this site to me.
Good luck
Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2002, 01:48 PM

Hi there,

My surgery is also on April 15th and I had my pre-op last week with my doctor. He said to stop in again close to the surgery date just so he could remember who I was for the surgery and answer any last minutes questions.

This appointment last week was scheduled this way to get me started on a good iron supplement, etc.

The next appointment is not a necessity for him. He seemed to be something more to just ease my questions and last minute jitters.

I am having a TAH due to an extremely large fibroid and all the back and belly pain. I have
opted to have both of my ovaries removed because of cysts I get on both. I have all lot of extreme allergis and and am avoiding future surgeries if at all possible.

Take care, Kathy
Unread 03-18-2002, 01:53 PM

I had two doctors with my tvh and bladder sling. One of the doctors scheduled their preop 2 weeks prior to the surgery, the other 1 week prior right before the hospital preop. I just had to be sure to keep track of the paperwork they gave me at the first appointment so that I could hand it in at the hospital. Getting this surgery scheduled was a real pain, both doctors had to be available at the same time, but it came and went without a glitch at the hospital. Best of luck

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register