Cervix & more questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix & more questions Cervix & more questions

Unread 03-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Cervix & more questions

I am so happy to see the question as to whether to keep the cervix already posted, as I logged on today to do the same! I am struggling with that same question, as well as some other related issues that need decisions, and need to make my decisions in the next two weeks.

My doctor would like to remove my cervix; he explained the European and US approaches to the issue and gave the same "arguements" for removing it. He and the other doctors I have seen all claim that their only unhappy hysterectomy patients are those who elected to keep theirs and now experience the mini-periods. One explained that he would cauterize where the uterus joined the cervix to try to prevent the mini-periods. Can anyone comment on whether this is common practice or does it happen to those who don't have that extra step completed? Or, if it is common to cauterize, do the mini-periods happen anyway? I'm not sure if that is clear. I guess what I am getting at is this: if I should elect to keep my cervix, is the cauterization a reasonable step to take to prevent continued bleeding, or does the bleeding occur in spite of the cauterization?

The doctors also say that very few patients have had pelvic support problems post-surgery. I do realize that this can happen, but how common is it?

I am most interested to hear from anyone who did have their cervix removed and would be willing to comment on whether they have had pelvic support problems or bladder support problems (or any other problems for that matter!).

My last question is about ovarian failure. I am planning on keeping mine, but wonder what the chances for post-hysterectomy failure are. I figure that keeping them at least gives me a chance to have functioning ovaries and a regulated body. If they fail, so be it, but I am one who feels better knowing things ahead of time and would like to know how common this complication really is.

Thank you, thank you all for your input!

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2002, 02:05 PM
Cervix & more questions

Sarah,
I am nine weeks post-op. and my overies are working . I still notice the soreness in my breasts and get a little "cranky" as if I were going to have a period but my doctor's opinion is that if they are healthy, leave them. It was the best decision for me and I urge you to make sure you have a doctor you trust. I am going to try the progesterone cream for that. I was scared to death to have a hysterectomy (TAH) but 9 weeks later I feel so much better. No more aching back,leaking urine when I sneeze and no more bleeding profusely every month. Keeping my cervix wasn't an option for me. Good Luck! This is the best web site! Karlene
Unread 03-18-2002, 04:29 PM
Cervix & more questions

Sarah, it's pretty smart to research this the way you are. I was so scared, I closed my eyes and "jumped". I knew I would chicken out and I trusted my dr.s. It worked out well for me. I had my cervix removed, I can't comment on the bladder support because I had a bladder suspension surgery on my bladder at the same time. Post surgery sex, has been good for me. Both my husband and myself have noticed nothing but good things. I did keep my ovaries but started having meno. symptoms the day after surgery. I'm still having the symptoms, even though a lot of the ladies here had theirs go away in a couple of months. Even with the meno. symptoms, I don't regret the decision to have a hyster. Everyone is so different, and in a lot of ways I was very lucky. I've been trying herbal therapies for the meno. symptoms and it does lesson the symptoms but I'm going to check out estrogen therapy with my dr. next week (wish me luck) .
Good luck and I hope things work out well for you. I don't think you will miss the periods .
Take care
Tam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2002, 05:04 PM
Cervix & more questions

This is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, unless you are having a vaginal hyst, then the cervix has to go. One thing to remember is that it is not a separate organ, it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs.

I am six weeks post and have had no problems so far.
Unread 03-18-2002, 06:36 PM
Cervix & more questions

I had a TAH with my cervix removed over a year and a half ago. I haven't had any problems with support or bladder function, and sex is GREAT! Neither my husband nor I can tell any difference.

My ovaries are continuing to work beautifully. I'm not sure what the percentage of failure it, but my surgeon said it was very rare for healthy ovaries to fail after the surgery.

Good luck with your decision!
Unread 03-18-2002, 06:53 PM
Cervix & more questions

I can tell you about one of my best friends. She had a TAH/BSO with the removal of her cervix many years ago, and she has never had any bladder support problems.
Unread 03-19-2002, 05:55 AM
Kept mine

Despite the cauterization I still have mini periods, which seems to bother the doc more than me. With only one exception, they have been no big deal - minor (and I truly mean minor) spotting. The one exception was last month - I had developed an ovarian cyst and skipped my mini for 3 cycles. The pill cleared up the cyst, and I did have more bleeding when I finally cycled again than I expected. I've had more problems with the r ovary than with the cervix.
Unread 03-19-2002, 08:25 AM
Cervix & more questions

Hi!

I am scheduled for an LSH on 3/27/02. I have the option of keeping my cervix and have decided to do so. The mini period as it was explained to me only occurs if you keep your ovaries. My surgeon has had great success with this procedure for patient's with fibroids like me. His reasoning is that there is less risk for bowel and bladder complications, less cutting so shorter healing time and possibly (he said there is mixed reviews on this one) a more satisfactory sex life after surgery. Pelvic floor support was also mentioned.

They do cauterize the cervix at the same time, I was told this was to make sure there is no dysplasia. I have always had class one paps though and that is a very important consideration.

My decision really was based on the fact that I could have this done through a scope, less hospital time, and quicker recovery so I can get back to work which is financially important to my family since we start paying for college tuition in the fall!!!!!

Whats most important is that you make the decision yo are most comfortable with!!!! Good Luck to you!!!
Unread 03-19-2002, 08:49 AM
cervix & ovaries

Hi there Sarah

I first want to wish you the best on your up coming surgery.

now for some answers "my own perosnal experiences" The cervix: I had no choice but to have mine out with my uterus. I had high level dysplasia and my cervix was covered with it. I can feel no difference with it gone. The vaginal cuff seems to be supporting everything and keeping things where they belong. To add to this. my partner bf" can not tell a difference either. Sex is still awesome, the big "o's" are as well. no lubrication problems either. I know you did not target these issues but i felt it was good for the "opnion" about its absense.

Ovaries: I also kept both of mine. The first 3 weeks or so they were in surgical shock. "sleeping" so to speak. I suffered slight surgical menopausal symptoms during this time. When they woke up "oh boy did they" it was very noticable. My hormones took some time to start leveling out. I have now had 3 rounds of pms "w/out the period of course " The first round was the worst i have ever had. However, the next two were uneventful. A little bit of the cravings, some breast tenderness almost no moodiness, and slight bloating. I am just now "3 months post" starting to feel more leveled out.

As for ovaries failing post hyster. From all i have read and information from my ob/gyn. It is a 50/50 thing here. I saw it as " 50% chance they stay doing there job till its time for them to go out gracefully"

So far so good Sarah. I feel good about my hyster. Of course i was a nervous wreck pre op but all is calm now and i am happy with the results.

Gather all the info you can and make a list for your Dr. Ask each question and get an answer before you go to the next one. Also a little tip. Take notes so if you feel a need to refer to what info he gives you

Seems like you are going about this very well. I hope you get your answers and make decisions that give you peace of mind and have a healthy recovery.

Take care and keep us posted !

Michele

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register