Time In Surgery and Recovery Room? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time In Surgery and Recovery Room? Time In Surgery and Recovery Room?

Unread 03-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Time In Surgery and Recovery Room?

Hi Again Special Ladies
I hope I'm posting this on the right board. I figured ladies reading this have probably all ready been through it. I am having a TVH with A & P Repair 3/28/02. My question is how long were you in the operating room and recovery before you came back to your hospital room? My surgery is at 9:00 a.m. I"m guessing I will be back in my room by 2:00, surely. Did any of you get up and walk the same day of your surgery? My dr. says I can go home within 36 hrs. if I don't have fever. Am I expecting too mych? I've all ready got my mind made up I will be up walking that night. Stubborn or determined, which ever fits. I'm going home as soon as possible.Again thanks to all the ladies who have helped me so much.
Rocky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2002, 02:36 PM

Hi Rocky,

I'm almost 7 wks. post-op from the exact surgery that you will be having. I also had a spinal with heavy sedation.

I was in the OR for 3.5 hours and in Recovery for 2 hrs. My DH told me that I was in Recovery longer because they let me sleep. I have no idea if this is standard or not, but maybe some other ladies who have had this surgery can comment on their experiences.

My surgery was at roughly around 8:30am (was supposed to be at 7:30). I was taken to my room around 2:30 or 3:00. I was kinda out of it, so I don't remember the exact time. I didn't get up until the next day, but I really had no desire to! I slept on and off the rest of the day of my surgery. I had to have some x-rays done the next morning, so it was over 24 hrs. before I got up for the first time.

My Dr. told me at my Pre-Op appt. I could go home after a day and a half, but I ended up staying 2 days. It depends on your individual circumstances. It seems most stay 2 days after this surgery.

I hope this was helpful! Best wishes for your upcoming surgery and recovery!

Unread 03-18-2002, 02:40 PM
hi

I had my TVH on 5th Dec, i didnt have a A & P Repair though.

I was in the operating room about 2 1/2 hours. I was in the recovery room a little longer as they were running behind, and the wards persons where run off their feet. I think i was in recovery about 1 1/2 hours.
Just remember everyone is different, that we all have our own reasons for having this surgery.

Big Hugs
JudyS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2002, 03:33 PM

Hello,
I had my tvh and bladder sling on Monday 2/25. I had surgery at 7:30 am and made it to my room by 2:00 or so. I tried to sit up that night, at the suggestion of a nurse, on the side of the bed and became really nauseated and dizzy. The anesthetic and morphine, along with no solid food, was just too much for me to stay clear headed. The next day, off the morphine pump, it was almost easy to get up an walk.

I was not allowed to eat solid food until I "passed gas" which took until late Tuesday afternoon. Being released was dependant on being able to tolerate the solid food, which I did. I was released Wed. at about 10am. I couldn't wait to go home either.

I wouldn't have been able to make the 36 hour time frame, but I was released within 48 hours (plus a few).
BEST OF LUCK!!
Unread 03-18-2002, 03:36 PM

I had TVH on 2/19..My surgery was at noon and my DH said my dr was out telling him I was in recovery at 1:30 and was in my room by 2;45..I did get up that nite and sit on the edge of the bed around nine or so..Before that I was so out of it from the anesthesia and the morphine that I could not of gotten up I did get up the next morning as soon as they took the cath and IV out and the packing and was up walking around and went to the visiting room to visit with my kids and then my dr came in at 5 and I asked if I could go home so I was out of there by six pm..Came home went to bed and took it easy but was able to sleep in my own bed and get sleep..I felt great..
Unread 03-18-2002, 04:19 PM

Had TVH and Burch. Went in at 7:00am and was in my room awake by 12:00. The dr. required me to get up and sit in a chair once the first day. I was home within 30 hours. That was fine with me, I'm like a cat: bring me food and leave me alone (when I want to be alone)
Hope things go as well for you but as a previous person said, Everyone is different, with different recoveries.

Take CAre
Tam
Unread 03-18-2002, 05:36 PM

Yep, you are in the right place! Welcome!

As the ladies have said, each person is different, even though they may have the exact same procedures. I wouldn't be making plans just yet for when you'll be up. The first day you will likely be VERY groggy, and you'll have your catheter in so you won't have to do any walking and can rest well.

The nurses will get you up and moving at the right time, probably the next morning. Just listen to them, listen to your body, and give yourself a chance to heal properly. This is big stuff, and we get one chance to heal, so please be gentle with yourself!

Keep reading and posting, and we'll all be here to help you every step of the way!

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register