My evil right ovary... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My evil right ovary... My evil right ovary...

Unread 03-18-2002, 05:12 PM
My evil right ovary...

I will be having a hyst in May for bleeding, severe pain, suspected adeno. here is my problem, other than constant cramping, I have SEVERE pain on my right ovary, which I am fairly certain IS my ovary because when i get an exam and someone touches it i scream. That ovary gets cysts a lot but otherwise has appeared "enlarged" but normal on lap and ultrasound. So I am fighting w/ my doctor because he says that if it doesn't "look" at all abnormal enough for him he will leave it in there. I am terrified he will leave it in there and then we will be going in for round two...which is NOT in my plans. I say, I am leaving the left one so who cares? That one works and doesn't try to kill me. So I want to know if anyone had an ovary left behind that kept causing problems, or had a bothersome ovary left behind that suddenly started to behave.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2002, 05:27 PM
My evil right ovary...

I think you need to discuss this with your doctor. I'm sure they won't leave in anything that looks "questionable", but if you feel strongly that you want it gone, be sure to make that really clear.

I know that several women here have had ovaries out that were originally left in. That's just a BSO. Things can go bad later that looked fine during surgery. But each situation is so different...if you don't like what you are hearing from your doctor, consider getting another opinion and see what another professional might have to say on the pro's and con's of all this.

I hope you get some answers to help you decide what's right for you. Please keep us informed!

Karen

ps: LOVE your username!!
Unread 03-21-2002, 11:56 PM
My evil right ovary...

I had a BSO some 15 months after the original TAH.

One ovary showed a cyst on a routine ultrasound, and I had a bad score on a CA-125.

So both went out last month, and although the final results aren't in yet, it's been almost a month and things seem to be okay.

1) I don't regret leaving the ovaries in at the time of the TAH, they were healthy then, and I had that little extra bit of estrogen.

2) It wasn't a question at my age. Even though only one looked bad, both went out.

But talk, talk, talk to your doc and get additional medical opinions as well, we're all different.

Bestaluck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register