HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

I am 62 yrs old, had a complete hysterectomy and seem to be having hot flashes I am 62 yrs old, had a complete hysterectomy and seem to be having hot flashes

Unread 10-31-2013, 11:16 AM
I am 62 yrs old, had a complete hysterectomy and seem to be having hot flashes

I am 62 years old, had the complete hysterectomy in May 2013. I already went through menopause in my 50's. I am on synthroid for my thyroid. In the past month or so, I see to be getting severe hot flashes that last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Is this as a result of my hysterectomy or my thyroid? What should I do.>
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:47 PM
Re: I am 62 yrs old, had a complete hysterectomy and seem to be having hot flashes

I have moved your thread here so you can receive some personal replies.

Even though you went through natural menopause, your ovaries were still secreting trace amounts of hormones. So now that you have had your ovaries removed, you are in surgical menopause and your body is missing that bit of estrogen.

You need to talk to your doctor about your symptoms and your options. Besides dealing with surgical menopause, your thyroid medication may also have to be adjusted since menopause can affect thyroid issues, too.

You may need some HRT for a time, or you may be able to try some alternative options. We have information about surgical menopause after natural menopause, thyroid issues and menopause, and treating menopause symptoms in our Menopause articles which you might find helpful.

in there!

s
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:14 PM
Re: I am 62 yrs old, had a complete hysterectomy and seem to be having hot flashes

Hi Hippy61,
I was 52 when I had my ovaries removed. I was just about through with menopause, but I developed many symptoms, including hot flashes, insomnia and mood swings, after my ovaries were removed. I also have thyroid problems and for a long time thought that was the problem. My cousin had her ovaries removed at age 61, long after she had gone through menopause, and also developed symptoms. I think that for many women, there is a big difference between having less estrogen (natural menopause) and having no estrogen (surgical menopause).
Unread 10-31-2013, 04:24 PM

Even though you were in natural menopause, once the ovaries are removed you have zero hormones, thus it's not unusual to have symptoms. Have you discussed hormone replacement with your doctor?

Unread 10-31-2013, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the response. I haven't talked to my gyn but I did call the thyroid dr's office. I was told it shouldn't have any affect on me. I guess I (incorrectly) assumed that since I had gone through menopause years ago, that part would be a piece of cake for me. I will consult with my gyn.
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:25 AM

My mom had also already gone thru meno at the time of her hyst and she had to get on hormones (and is still on them at 85)

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.