Scared & Breastfed Baby at Home | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared & Breastfed Baby at Home Scared & Breastfed Baby at Home

Unread 03-18-2002, 08:38 PM
Scared & Breastfed Baby at Home

Hi, Everyon!
I am new and scheduled for a Total Vaginal Hysterectomy for a Precancerous (Carcinoma in-situ) Cervical Lesion on March 28th. I have to get it done now for insurance reasons.

I would appreciate any information from those ladies who had small children at the time of their surgery. I have five children and my youngest is 7 months old. My two oldest will help when they are out of school, and my husband will help as much as possible--but he will have to go back to work, and I am wondering how I will manage. I will have help from friends and family, but I am mostly concerned about being able to take care of and breastfeed my baby. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Since I won't be able to lift my baby, I was thinking about putting a mattress on the floor so that I could be at arm's length to my baby while he crawls on the floor--but I was wondering, " Will I be able to then stand up from that position? Will it be more comfortable on a couch sitting or in a bed laying? Additionally, will I be able to nurse---from a comfort aspect.
Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice or experience.
Gwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 04:16 AM

Hi there

My kids were not as young as yours, my youngest was 18 months, but I kinda know how you feel.

Firstly, have you thought about how you are going to breastfeed while you are in hospital? You would have to express a weeks worth of milk. Perhaps now would be a good time to maybe think about formula?

From a comfort point of view, it will not be easy for you to breastfeed for a while, any pressure on your tummy, especially that of a little one, will be quite painful. If you can find some way to breasfeed lying down as the baby is beside you and not on you would be better, but can you do that every feeding time?

I think you should accept as much help as you can possibly get. I actually had my kids off to stay with my mother in law for a week and my mother for another week, just to get the worst over with. It was heartbreaking, but definately best. At that age they do not understand that you are in pain, and it is easier to visit for a while. After that 2 weeks, I still wasn't able to pick them up but it certainly made it easier for me.

And another problem will be, as it was for me, if they fall, as a mother will you be able to stop yourself from going and picking them up.........I know I couldn't, and nearly damaged myself severely because of it. After that I had someone with me everyday to do the things with the kids that I wasn't able to do.

Hyst in situations like this is very hard, and you will need alot of help. First and foremost, above the needs of your children has to be your health. If you do not look after yourself properly after this, what good will you be if you need further surgery for prolapse?

I do truly sympathise, I have been there myself, but you will have to make some sacrifices in the pursuit of health, not just for your sake, but your kids' sakes too. They need a healthy mother, and that may mean that you cannot function as a proper mother for a while, but you will be better for the rest of your life after this is over.

Please stay stong, and don't be afraid to ask those people for help...........you are going to need it for a while.
Unread 03-19-2002, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the Info!
Gwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 10:24 AM

hello!

WHEN I HAD MY 3RD BABY BY C-CECTION I CAME HOME FORM THE HOSPTIAL AND THEN PUT BACK IN FOR A UTERINE INFECTION!
I WAS SO WORIED ABOUT MY WEEK OLD BABY!
MY MOM WAS GOING TO TAKE CARE OF HIM ALONG WITH THE OTHERS, AND I TOO WAS BREASTFEEDING. THANK GOODNESS FOR BREAST PUMPS! THE HOSPITAL HAD A GREAT ELECTRIC ONE AND I
PUMPED EVERY 2-3 HRS.( THEY HAD STERILE BOTTLES AND EVERYTHING) AND THEN MY HD WOULD TAKE THE MILK TO MY MOM
AND EVERYTHING WENT FINE!
YOU SOULD BE ABLE TO NURSE YOUR BABY IN THE HOSPITAL BY THE 2 OR 3RD DAY (WITH THE HELP OF PILLOWS) IF YOU ARE FEELING UP TO IT!
SO IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PUMP JUST ASK THE HOSPITAL FOR ONE
I'M SURE THEY WILL HELP OUT ANY WAY THEY CAN!

GOOD LUCK!!
TAH ON 3/21!
Unread 03-19-2002, 06:23 PM
Breastfeeding

When my 3rd was born, I had to have a D & C when she was 3 weeks. I too was breastfeeding. They told me I would have to pump and throw the milk away for 24 hrs, due to anethesia. I talked to the anethesiologist and he suggested a spinal, which I had and was able to feed her as soon as I got home that day. I had a csection with my 4th and breastfeeding was not a problem. I plan on asking for a spinal for my hyster in April, not so I can breastfeed, but because you feel so much better...no nausea and in your case, no anethesia in your milk. Try to pump some ahead for the first couple days and then someone could bring the little one to you for feeding til you get home. Breastfeeding is so wonderful, as you know...where there is a will, there is a way.
Also, if you are having a TVH, you won't have an incision for baby to bounce on so maybe that is a plus.
Best of luck.
Unread 03-20-2002, 02:22 AM

Hi there!
Welcome to my "having a hyst while breastfeeding one of multiple young children" club. hehe

Okay I'm probably going to go against the grain here so please no one take offense- this is just MY experience with having a hyst while having young children one of which I'm still nursing and MY opinion on how to continue breastfeeding/etc.

I had a vaginal hyst in July of last year- pretty much the same situation except my little nursling was 13mo old at the time- and still not walking. So pretty much just bigger than your 7mo old and way more wiggly. LOL I also had a 3.5yr old and 7.5yr old at that time. Just FYI... my baby is now 21mo old and still going strong on the breastfeeding.

I had NO help from friends or relatives except for my church family brought me meals in the evening for the 2nd week after surgery (but that in of itself helped a lot). My husband also had to go back to work after 3 days.

I am by no means the "norm" and certainly wouldn't RECOMMEND doing it like I did- so please accept whatever help you can get- any and ALL help you are offered by friends/relatives/etc. I can only say what happened to me though. I had my hyst that morning, came out of surgery/recovery in the afternoon, within hours nursed my daughter (DH brought her to the hospital) and hours later-late that night- I left the hospital. If you indeed do have a vaginal hyst I can say it's WAY easier than say a c-section (I've had 2 of those and bf afterwards) - so that IS a plus. But just as we can nurse babies after a c-section- we can nurse after having a hyst with surgery that is LIKE a c-section in many ways. So please don't be discouraged if you end up not being able to have a vaginal hyst for any reason. I'm not saying you would- just making sure you don't think it can only be done if you have a TVH.

As for "pumping and dumping"...
A) I'm proof positive that this is not exactly accurate even if some doctors or nurses tell you that you must do this. I have had c-sections with anesthesia and nursed a newborn afterwards, I have had a D&C with anesthesia and nursed my baby shortly afterwards- and I have had a hyst with general anesthesia (not spinal) and nursed my 13mo old hours afterwards.

B) this is just what my dr told me but if your dr tells you something different- or a nurse does- just ask them- why would this surgery be any different than someone say having an emergency c-section, having general anesthesia and then able to nurse a NEWBORN just hours later after they are able to physically after recovery/coming out of anesthesia? And see what their answer is. This is how my dr told it to me when I asked if I had to pump and dump after my hyst- he said.... if others can nurse brand new newborns just minutes to hours old after having that same anesthesia (and yes, pain meds also- they had me on morphine after my c-sections and morphine as well as other pain meds later on after my hyst also) then why couldn't I nurse an OLDER baby- a much stronger bigger baby after my hyst?
That was enough to convince me. The most that could happen with some babies would be that they get sleepy from the pain meds (this is also what the dr told me- they tell you that if you are on pain meds after a c-section also but I never noticed any difference in sleepiness even with my newborns- so apparently that is not always the case. That or I'm unlucky... mine were never sleepy babies LOL) - but if it doesn't hurt a newborn (and it doesn't) it won't hurt a 7mo old or as in my case- a 13mo old. So, take that info or leave it- your choice ofcourse. Just think about it before pumping and DUMPING. If you are unable to nurse for awhile afterwards in the hospital- you might consider pumping and storing the milk to feed through bottles or sippy cups since your baby is old enough for a sippy cup. (depends on if your baby has been introduced to a bottle before now- if not.. your baby might decide he likes the bottle better since it comes out faster and then you'll end up either weaning to bottle/formula or expressing milk from here on out.)

**oh and I also was put back in the hospital twice- for a week each time in the first 6wks of my middle child's life - I breastfed him also but I had him there with me at the hospital. He had to stay in my room with another person there in case something happened to me- as I was there for extremely high fever and they weren't sure why I had the fever. But anyways, maybe I'm just a little too headstrong on breastfeeding to let anything get in my way LOL Everyone might not be that way though. LOL **

Oh and that's a great idea on the mattress on the floor/etc. My baby was a little older and getting around and such but probably not much more than your 7mo old. I mean she was getting around at 13mo about the same as my eldest did around 7-9mo old... since she wasn't walking quite yet (she started that a few weeks after my hyst. LOL Guess she was trying to stay my baby as long as possible- she also didn't have any teeth yet till her 14 month LOL). If you have a vaginal surgery you should be okay with getting back up off the mattress and it will probably be less painful than having the baby lying on your stomach while nursing with you sitting up. Also it helps you not to have to pick UP the baby as often as you would if you only nursed sitting up-ya know? I would just get on the floor to play with her and if she wanted to nurse- I'd lie down with her- but a mattress would be more comfortable. Don't know why I didn't think of that. LOL I did nurse her sitting up though often also- I always used a boppy pillow so that her wiggling/etc didn't like accidentally kick my stomach or something. It really was not near as bad as having a c-section and nursing is. (if you have ever done that- then you know what I mean by that) I mean my stomach didn't really hurt at all yet a c-section did, know what I mean? If you don't already have one of those (boppy pillows- it's like a pillow that goes around your stomach for them to lie on and it cushions your stomach also)- you can find them almost anywhere- including resale shops with childrens/baby's items. If you don't have one and have a problem with getting one (okay this is going to sound weird....but...) I have one I do not use anymore sitting right here in my office. If you need it -you can have it. I have no use for it anymore since my daughter is 21mo old and wouldn't lie on a boppy pillow to nurse anyways. LOL Just let me know.

This is getting really long so I'll end this post now but please email me if you have any questions at all or if I can help you in any way at any time.
Unread 03-21-2002, 06:38 PM

My sentiments exactly...I could not have said it better. You are a great encouragement. I too was "headstrong" about breastfeeding. (My 4th was almost 2 and could unbutton by shirt before he was weaned).
The point is that if we really want to do it, there is a way and you bring up many excellent points about the anethesia. Hope this all works out for you, gpearson64! Let us know how it goes.
Unread 03-21-2002, 08:00 PM

You gals are really encouraging, and I feel much better about this surgery already. I have heard so much negative advice and horror stories from well-intentioned people who say things like you won't be able to do this, and you absolutely cannot do this, and how can you continue breastfeeding, and your rectum will fal if you aren't careful, and oh, honey you will be in so much pain!!!! I am so glad I found you ladies who have actually been through this because they were really freaking me out. You have given me some very practical suggestions and things don't seem so dismal. Thank you!

I especially enjoy hearing from you nursing moms, as I was starting to think I was the only nursing mother that ever had a hysterectomy. I especially appreciate Shelly's practical advice especially about the Boppy pillow. And Shelly I may take you up on your offer if I cannot find one at the store.

Feeling Better,
Gwen
Unread 03-28-2002, 10:18 PM

I'm so glad to help! It's just about the only situation with my surgery that I know of that *I* can help with. LOL I mean my hyst was pretty uneventful (by comparison to others) and so, well, I can't help with some things because they didn't happen to me and I can't help with hormone replacement because I don't need them as I kept my ovaries... so it's wonderful to still be able to help others with what my situation WAS- which is having a hyst pretty young, with young children- one of which still nursing. I'm glad to be able to help in some small way the way MANY helped me in so many ways when I first came to this site.

And Gwen- I meant the offer. Really- if you need it- it's YOURS.
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:08 AM
Nursing after surgery

Hi, everyone!
Shelley thanks for all or your support. I had my TVH surgery on Thursday, March 28th and was released by my doctor on Friday. I have hardly any pain and am recovering well. I worked myself up alot more than was necessary. I am grateful for an uineventful surgery. Thanks to everyone for their encouragement, support and advice. Ladies, you are wonderful.

However, I am having a problem that I need help with. It seems since my surgery, my let-down reflex is gone. I know it is still early, but I can't sleep and am wondering if anyone else had this experience after surgery. In fact, while I was sleeping a couple of times in the hospital when my breasts were full, the milk just came out on its own and I was covered in milk. This has never happened to me, and I may attribute that to not having a bra on which I usually never take off. Can you ladies tell me if your experienced this with the let down? Does it come back? Will I be able to continue to nurse? My doctor said that I would be able to, but it just seems like something is not right. Am I panicking over nothing? I really need to hear from you moms who nurse.
Thanks, again!
Gwen
:confuse rincess

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register