HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Liquid Diet Day Before Surgery........ Liquid Diet Day Before Surgery........

Unread 11-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Liquid Diet Day Before Surgery........

I'm dreading the liquid diet the day before my surgery. Also, I have to drink the stuff to clear out my bowel. Ewwww! Did anyone else have to do this?
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Re: Liquid Diet Day Before Surgery........

Oh yes. I had to do the same. I found some yummy little Popsicle things that I ate amongst other real liquids. They made it seem like I was eating food. They were called something like Mighty Minis. They are also slow melting. Best wishes for you surgery. The bowel prep. That wasn't too bad either.
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:11 PM

I did the liquid diet but didnt have to drink the stuff to clear out the bowels
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margienol View Post
I'm dreading the liquid diet the day before my surgery. Also, I have to drink the stuff to clear out my bowel. Ewwww! Did anyone else have to do this?
URMEGUR! Yes, I had to drink the bowel prep. But I couldn't have anything at all after I started bowel prep at 3 PM the day before surgery. Second dose of bowel prep was drank at 7 PM. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything after that. Surgery was 3:30 PM the following day.

Hang in there, though. This too shall pass.

(((Hugs))) You're gonna do great!
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Liquid Diet Day Before Surgery........

Yes!! I had liquid diet day before and had to drink that nasty stuff......but I also had to use 2 fleet enemas! Keep some baby wipes by the potty...they will be nicer to ur bum! I ate ice cream w chocolate and caramel syrup! Was a huge treat for me bc I do weight watchers! Praying for smooth recovery ) for u.
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetorun View Post
Yes!! I had liquid diet day before and had to drink that nasty stuff......but I also had to use 2 fleet enemas! Keep some baby wipes by the potty...they will be nicer to ur bum! I ate ice cream w chocolate and caramel syrup! Was a huge treat for me bc I do weight watchers! Praying for smooth recovery ) for u.
Oh, yes! Baby wipes! You'll need them! I also needed zinc oxide ointment, too! Hang in there!
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:01 AM

My gyno didn't require me to clear out my bowel or go on any liquid diet thankfully. I think I cleared out my bowel myself with my nervousness!! Any way I didn't have any problems post op bowel wise which is always a good thing right?
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:26 AM

I didn't have to do bowel prep and thought I was home free - only to arrive at the hospital and have the nurse present me with a Fleet enema!

I was allowed *clear* liquids only after 5 PM and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Lots of vegetable broth, white grape/peach juice blend and white cranberry juice blend.
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Clear liquid diet, bowel prep liquid and enema. It was not the most pleasant but not as bad as I anticipated. To be honest I was so busy the day before surgery finishing yp things I was suprised I was not too hungry. Personal or baby wipes were helpful. Broth, popsicles and jello. Best wishes!
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:42 PM

I had to do a clear liquid the day before, with a full bottle of miralax at Noon, followed up by 3 dulcolax at 4. Let me say it was not fun. Nothing hit the spot, but I got through it. The downside is my surgery wasn't scheduled till 12:30 the next day. By 10:30 when I had to check in, my tiny little veins (despite me drinking a TON of fluids up till 11:50pm) were hard to find. For the Da Vinci they have to put in two IV drips, the nurse was only able to get in one and the other they had to wait till I was knocked out to try to get in.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.