PreOp appointment | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PreOp appointment PreOp appointment

Unread 03-19-2002, 12:50 PM
PreOp appointment

Hi all my hystersisters, I just got back from preop. It went well. They did send me to cardiology for an EKG. I have mitral valve prolapse and right side heart enlargement so they wanted to check that out. Got my blood work done. Having scary thoughts of them calling and canceling my surgery! I would lose my mind! (as if I haven't already) The Dr came in and sat down and said ok, do you have any questions. I laughed and said yes, a whole page full but don't worry I'm not going to ask you everything. He said you ask whatever you want, thats what I'm here for. We have all the time in the world so ask away. He was so sweet and answered every question. Then he explained to me the risks. We discussed me keeping my ovaries, and maybe just one ovary. If they are healthy. He said he would take them both out if thats what I wanted. I'm going to pray about it tonite and decide for sure in the morning. He explained to me that he would start me on HRT immediately, I would have a patch on before I even came out of surgery and then we would work on getting them balanced out later on. I have to give myself two fleets, one tonite and one in the morning before I leave for the castle. Also I have to give myself a vaginal betadine douche solution after the first enema and then before I go to bed I am to use a vaginal cream. It's all to prevent infection. Im having a TAH so I dont know why everything is going in the other end. lol Precautionary measures he said. Thats a good thing. He did tell me I will probably come home with a cath in and get it out when I go to see him again on the 28th. He said he may let me go home Friday night as long as everything goes well. Well, thats about it for my PreOp appt. It went very smoothly, except for 2!!! enemas. Love you all and big 's, Mikki Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Binder???

Oh yeah, I have a question, He did say that I would be wearing a binder. I have heard good and bad about these things. What do you all think? I have heard you can become dependant on them and it gets hard to go without it. Will it make my stomach muscles weak, or harder to heal? Thanks, Mikki Jo
Unread 03-19-2002, 01:36 PM
preop

I found your post interesting. I had no idea about all the things they want you to do before going in for surgery. What exactly are the test they can do at the preop appointment? Does it depend on your age. I have been told that if you are 50 a lot more test are required. I am 49 and not sure what to expect. I have been reading this site and have my list of questions but I would like to know if I am getting any kneedles put in me that day?
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 02:42 PM
PreOp appointment

Hello Mikki,

Good luck to you on your upcoming surgery. I had a TAH on Nov. 13th, 2001 and am continuing to heal. You will feel SO much better after it's all said and done.

Just a few tips from my little adventure...
Don't drag a bunch of crap to the hospital, you won't need 90% of it.
DO bring a pillow from home. It helps not only at the Castle, but on the drive home.
DON'T expect to be doing SQUAT for at least 3 weeks. If you do..you'll just set yourself "back", no matter how good you feel.
DO ask tons of questions!

You will do wonderfully........I PROMISE.

Amelia
Unread 03-19-2002, 03:46 PM
Mikki

Thinking of you and wanted to send hugs and prayers to you for an uneventful surgery and smooth recovery! Please come back when you are ready and let us know how things went.

Amy

With God, all things are possible
Unread 03-19-2002, 05:39 PM
LINANNDAVIS

I didn't have to do any enemas, douches, or creams. I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight the night before, and that was it.

As far as pre-op tests, I had blood taken for various tests, one of which was a pregnancy test, although I had my tubes tied 12 years ago, and haven't had sex in over 2 years - routine, they said - it would have been a miracle if I was! I also had to go to my primary doctor, who did an EKG and cleared me for surgery.

That was it for pre-op, aside from the 200+ question interview with the nurse - she had to ask me all about medications I take, medical conditions, past surgeries, etc. It also included a section on my mental state - what concerned me the most about the surgery and what could they do to make me more comfortable with it, both mentally and physically. She asked if I had any special requests, and she made a note of my request to have pillows put under my knees when the surgery was over and they parked me in the recovery area to wake up. I have scoliosis, and my back aches if I lay flat on my back for a long time. I woke up in the recovery room with - lo and behold - pillows under my knees! They listened to everything I said, and were quick to do whatever they could to make me more comfortable.

Also, I agree about taking things to the hospital - take a pillow - I took a small, firm living room pillow - it really hurts to cough, sneeze or laugh - and if you have time to grab it and press it gently to your stomach before you do one of these, it REALLY helps. I sneezed once before I had time to grab the pillow, and I thought my guts exploded! I took a book to the hospital, but didn't have the attention span to read it - I either snoozed, vegged out, or watched TV all the time.

I took a nightgown with me, and changed into that the 2nd day - and I took my Cranberry capsules with me - at my pre-op interview with the nice nurse, I asked her about that - whenever I have a catheter for any reason, I get a UTI. So I've found that if I take cranberry capsules and drink plenty of water and cranberry juice, I can head it off before it gets bad enough to take antibiotics - which my doctor knows I hate to take - they give me lots of other problems - yeast infections (I'm allergic to yeast, so those are nasty for me) and diahhrea. I honestly could have done without anything else, except maybe my hairbrush.

Good luck - relax - you'll do fine!

Debbie
Unread 03-19-2002, 05:49 PM
PreOp appointment

Hi Mikki Jo,

I will be thinking about you tomorrow and praying that all will go well with your surgery and recovery.

I was already going through menopause and on HRT but my doctor did not remove my ovaries when she did my surgery. We didn't even discuss it, but from what I have read here, if they are healthy it is better to try to keep them because they do still secrete hormones that help lessen your dependence on HRT.

Be sure to come back and let us know how you are doing after you've been home a couple of days.

's

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register