Endo and keep or take ovaries questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endo and keep or take ovaries questions Endo and keep or take ovaries questions

Unread 03-19-2002, 01:32 PM
Endo and keep or take ovaries questions

Hi everyone!
I am sure this gets asked a bazillion times here but can anyone who's done or going to be doing their surgery that HAS endo tell me your opinions on taking or keeping the ovaries?

Main question is if the ovaries are NOT endo ridden, wouldn't it still be advantageous to take them anyway since the estrogen is what feeds the endo?

I understand about the HRT if you do take them but don't understand how that would be any different than leaving the ovaries in.

My Ob says to leave mine in. I'm 37 and of course at this stage don't know if they have endo on them or not. ( In my lap 4 yrs ago, they did not. ) Yet I keep thinking that of course down the road at some point will I have to have them out anyway? So why not do it all now? UGH!

Thanks for any insight! It's so nice to have someone who understands about endo. KimAZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 04:05 PM

This is one of the very big questions! Keep ovaries or not? At your age I can understand that you are in a quandary about the decision. Try to gather all the info you can, I have heard that with endo, it is a gamble; but this is a very personal decision. Good luck with your decision, do what makes you comfortable!

Unread 03-19-2002, 04:13 PM

Hi Kim,
The ovary/endo equation varies from woman to woman. My doc and I agreed to save one ovary if possible, despite his suspecting --and subsequently finding & removing lots of endo. I won't be able to take HRT due to breast cancer two years ago and we both agreed keeping an ovary would keep me on an even keel and protect my bones a few years longer.
My endo had not seriously troubled me and although my doc found it to be extensive, I'd never needed any pain medication for it. My feeling is that it took 30 years for my endo to become uncomfortable so I'll probably experience menopause before it becomes a problem again. My guess is that a women with severe endo discomfort is probably at greater risk for it to return with a vengence.

It turned out one of my ovaries was covered in endo but the other was fine so I still have one.
Good luck with your personal decision,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 04:27 PM
My humble opinion

Kim:

I had severe (stageIV) endo. I was 43 at the time of my surgery. My ovaries has very large endometrial growths, called "chocolate cysts". So, my circumstances are different than yours. I had gotten to the point where the cysts could not be removed without taking the ovaries; they were embedded into them. It can get this bad, and no one knows if you will get this bad or not. My said he would not take my uterus without the ovaries, since estrogen "fuels" the endo. I believe that when you're on HRT, it is a lower level than your ovaries would produce. I was put on Climara 0.5 right after surgery. Anyways, I also had endo near my bladder and bowels; I was quite a mess!! You are right to question whether or not to take healthy ovaries. Ask your doc again, and maybe even get a second opinion on this. That way, you'll feel comfortable with your decision. GOOD LUCK
Unread 03-19-2002, 04:58 PM
My opinion

Hugs. Yes I reckon that it is abit of a gamble but when i had my Hyst the right ovary was beyond any help so it was taken. my left ovary was apparrently ok so it was left in. I had severe and deep Endeo and my surgeon and I discussed at length about the ovary question. i had had a lap the year before and my right ovary was then riddled with endeo and stuck solid to the stomach wall so we knew that that one would have to go. i told my surgeon that if the left one was not in good condition then to take it but if it looked ok to leave it as i am one of those people who did not want any form of HRT and prefere natural as possable. I am fine and no HRT needed, the left ovary is doing fine and I felt that i made the right decision. It is a personal thing and you yourself have to be happy with the decision made. Endeo is a nasty thing and yes i have the chance that maybe it may come back some day, but hopefully i will be well into menopause when and if that ever happens. The best of luck with your surgery and your decision. Hugs vicki
Unread 03-19-2002, 05:03 PM

I am 38 years old and am three weeks post op. I had my hyst. because of endo and fibroids. My dr. recommended taking the ovaries and said that in cases like mine if we left the ovaries, he often has to do more surgery later on to go back and remove the ovaries anyway. He also said that even if my ovaries looked clean, endo loves to "hide" in the ovaries. He left the decision up to me and I opted to take them out because I didn't want to fuel the endo, and I certainly didn't want more surgery down the road. It is a tough and personal decision. I am hoping I did the right thing, but only time will tell. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Unread 03-19-2002, 05:39 PM

Let's not forget to ask our doctors about the research that says that women with endo are at higher risk to get ovarian cancer. I think for me I had to factor that fact in with the other facts to come up with agreeing with my doctor to take the ovaries.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register