hyster vs c-section | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hyster vs c-section hyster vs c-section

Unread 03-19-2002, 01:56 PM
hyster vs c-section

Please don't laugh, because I've never had any children, I wouldn't even begin to know this answer, so I'm asking some women who've had both - some of you! My sister and one of my best friends keep comparing my upcoming hysterectomy to their c-sections and telling me after a couple of weeks, they felt fine. My question is - is the surgical wound (I don't know what else to call it) for a hysterectomy pretty much the same as it is for a c-section?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 02:14 PM
hyster vs c-section

Hi. I had an LAVH BUT in 1992 I had a myeomectomy and that's basically the same cut as an ab hysterectomy. I then had a c-section through the same incision in 1996. The recovery is similar. However, I think that because I was busy caring for a baby and I wasn't anemic in 1996 (and I was in 1992) the recovery for the myeomectomy was a bit longer. It was definitely not 2 weeks in either case. Please please heed your Dr. in recovery. Don't try to be back to normal in just 2 weeks. Remember that for a hysterectomy , they're moving many more things around in there than with a c-section. That means there's more to heal inside.
Unread 03-19-2002, 03:38 PM
hyster vs c-section

Hi there! This is a very common question, that I've seen many times.

I never had children, but have seen many posts from women who had both c-sections and hysterectomies. Almost every one of them agree that the recovery from the hyst is longer.

With a c-section, the doctor is merely opening the abdomen, making an incision in the uterus, and removing a baby, which is SUPPOSED to come out. With a hyst, they are having to cut away an organ which was never intended to be removed, and you have countless internal sutures where they have to cut and tie off various ligaments and tissues, so there is much more internal healing that your body has to do.

Make sure you give yourself the time you need to recovery, and just ignore those who say you should be feeling better before you are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 03:59 PM
hyster vs c-section

I too compared a c-section to a hyster.

The recovery for ME was tons easier than for a c-section. I don't have a baby to care for so I had tons of energy to direct to healing.

I have had 4 cuts on this tummy. 2 from babies, one from a tubal and one from a hyster. Horizontal, vertical, vertical and horizontal.

Since I had a horizontal cut, it was TONS easier to recoop. If you can have a horizontal cut, ask to have one...I was thought to have fibroids, but, alas it was adeno.

Remember, everyone is different! I got up and walked in the castle the day after surgery. And walked, and walked. They named me the "perfect patient" as I did what I was told. I didn't use a straw and I had good motivation to get home as the girls had a special weekend with activities they were in. While I didn't get to go to these, hubby brought me digital pictures.

If you have a positive attitude then you will heal quickly! Listen to your doctor, they know what they are talking about.

If you have questions email is always on.

Sara
Unread 03-19-2002, 04:13 PM
hyster vs c-section

HI,

I've had a c-section and an abdominal hysterectomy. To me, this is by far a longer recovery than with the c-section. My scar is also longer now than it was before. I think because a c-section they just make an incision and take out the baby, but with the hysterectomy they are removing a major organ. Everyone keeps expecting you to be healed and feeling well within a few weeks, it's been 5 weeks and I'm finally starting to feel semi-normal again. Everyone heals at different rates though, this is just my opinion.

Good luck!

cyaple
Unread 03-19-2002, 04:21 PM
hyster vs c-section

Hi there

I have had 2 c-sections and a TAH. I had alot easier and faster recovery with my csections. As far as the incision, that is usually up to your doc. I had a low bikini incision with both csections, an laperotomy, and my TAH. The doc just went into the same place everytime. Hope this helps a little. Discuss it with your doctor if you would prefer a certain incision.

s
Unread 03-19-2002, 05:39 PM
hyster vs c-section

Hi!

I had a c-section and a TAH/BSO through the same incision. I think the recovery from the c-section was much easier but for different reasons --

When you have a c-section (or just a baby in general) you have something visible -- a baby in your arms - so people automatically open doors, help load the groceries into the cart, carry heavy things, bring meals, and expect you to rest and be off your feet. In my experience total strangers will drop everything to come to your aid. People expect you to be tired, wearing mismatched socks and think it's generally okay when you haven't washed your hair in two days because you couldn't get to the shower.

When you have a hysterectomy you don't have some visible sign that you've just had a major procedure (unless you wear your crown in public which I was tempted to do!) -- so people are more apt to let that heavy door go instead of holding it for you and they don't offer to load your groceries in the car, etc. therefore I think you get a lot less pampering and help in general because people forget pretty quickly that you've just had major surgery.

Just my worth

Leslie
Unread 03-19-2002, 07:26 PM
Hi Mel

I have had three horizontal cut csections. I had a tah/bso on 10/30/01

After my c's I was shopping a week later. I was lifting my babies, and doing my stuff, slow but sure.

I can honestly tell you that my hyster has been a slow recovery. I don't want to scare you, but I won't deceive you either.
Hysters are completely different than a csection and don't let anyone tell you they are similar. You must take special time to heal, deal with hormones, and deal with swelling issues. Your body is made to get rid of a baby, not organs.

Please be good to yourself and give yourself the time you need to heal. Don't let someone who hasn't been there tell you otherwise.

Take Care - robins

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register