Bad Pre-op Jitters | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad Pre-op Jitters Bad Pre-op Jitters

Unread 03-19-2002, 03:46 PM
Bad Pre-op Jitters

Hi! My name is Miki and I'm an scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on 3-21. I'm so nervous that I'm making myself sick - the anxiety is driving me crazy! I've been tempted several times to cancel the surgery but I know that it is necessary. I was diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with atypia cells. Since I've decided not to have nay more children (I'm 39), my doctor says that the hysterectomy is the best thing to do. But I'm a wreck! I' think of all the bad what ifs. If any one can give helpful advice, I NEED IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 03:55 PM
Bad Pre-op Jitters

Those pre op jitters are the worst! But believe me, that is the worst part of it. I too had a complex hyperplasia and the pain and bleeding that I experienced prior to hyst was so much more intense than the post op.......even the day of surgery! I am 53 and opted to have my ovaries removed also, but that was my decision. You just need to hang on for a couple more days and I know that you will do well. Keep posting to get answers to your questions! That's what we are here for! If I don't here from you before your castle trip, I wish you well .

Unread 03-19-2002, 04:00 PM
Bad Pre-op Jitters

Miki,

Hi there!

It's normal for the nerves to mess with us before any surgery, and what you are about to go through is a major surgery. Things will be just fine. If the anxiety you are experiencing seems to be too much for you to handle, or want to handle.. ask your doc for something to "chill em out". I was experiencing insomnia, and because of the isnomnia ~ really bad jitters. I spoke to my doc who gave me Trazodone (its use for depression / anxiety and sleeplessness). Your doc will be there to either calm your jitters through talking with you, or giving you a little something. And of course, don't hesitate for one minute to ask the anesthesiologist for "a little something" in your I.V. prior to the surgery. Most will gladly give you something to help, such as versed.

Read, read and read some more about the procedure you will be having. Also, come on in to the chat room. The ladies in there will be happy to answer any questions you might have (if they can). There are pre and post oppers in the chat room. It's a great place to be to learn and have a little fun while you're at it. I hope I have helped you some.

I'm having my TVH on 4/23 and have a ways to go. I keep telling myself that my nerves aren't going to go haywire on me, but I know they will.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! We will be here for you every step of the way.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 05:17 PM
I was a basket case

The closer to surgery I got, the more nuts I got. I was literally making myself sick with worry and anxiety, and thought bout cancelling the surgery because I was so scared.

I know from experience that nothing anyone says can make you feel completely better, but try to think positive and not get too crazy. (yeah, right, I know)

Something that helped me was when I went the week before to the hospital for the pre-admission testing, the nurse interviewing me about meds, conditions, etc was very compassionate. She wrote down a couple of special requests, (put pillows under my knees when they take me out of the operating room and park me in the recovery room, as I have scoliosis, and lying flat on my back for long periods makes my back ache) and answered all my questions.

One of the last questions on her form was "what concerns you the most about having this surgery?" I said "WAKING UP!" The next question was "what can we do to make you more comfortable about it, and she wrote in big red letters "WAKE ME "UP!" She was very funny, and very understanding.

Everyone was so nice and helpful - there was always someone around to make me more comfortable, both physically and mentally.

I couldn't have had a better hospital stay. The first night, the nurse had me turn on my side and massaged my back with lotion because she thought it might relax me - I went along with it, and it was so nice.

I had some nausea afterward, for about 24 hours, but after that it subsided, and they brought me anything I wanted to eat or drink.

My DH has no clue about ladies' internal anatomy and didn't really have any clue about this surgery. I actually made it a point to sit with him and let him know exactly what this surgery included - and what they were removing, and why. And also what they were NOT removing. I think he thought (but never asked) that they were removing everything - he didn't know if intercourse would be possible afterward (but didn't ask me or anyone else). When I explained that I would be keeping my ovaries, and they are what produces the hormones that I would need, and probably wouldn't be needing hormone replacement therapy, (he had no idea there was such a thing) he asked "so you won't be growing a mustache then?" That talk helped him out a lot, and me too.

I am so happy I had this surgery - I'm almost 3 weeks post-surgery, and I'm going back to work for half days next Monday - faster than some, but I went to see the doctor today, and he was thrilled with my recovery. I'm happily surprised at how well I've done too - I'm way overweight - but ready to lose it now. I didn't expect to do this well.

The biggest problem I have had was having a bowel movement afterward. I couldn't go for a week, and I think I was having more pain from being backed up than from the surgery. I didn't think that was going to be such a problem - hey everyone - DRINK LOTS OF WATER! TAKE WALKS AROUND THE HOUSE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! IF THEY SUGGEST STOOL SOFTENERS, TAKE THEM! I was eating raisins, prunes, apples, drinking GALLONS of fruit juice and water, fruit juice popsicles, milk of magnesia, and finally drank mineral oil. Then I couldn't STOP going!

Sorry for such a long post. Try to stay calm, talk to your doctor and nurses about how nervous you are, and they can help.

Best wishes - see you here afterward.

Debbie
Unread 03-19-2002, 05:26 PM
Bad Pre-op Jitters

Hi and welcome!

What you are feeling is SO normal!!! I was a basket case before my TAH/BSO, and this site got me through. You've gotten some good ideas here...I would definitely call your doctor and ask them to phone in a scrip for you for a mild sedative...Xanax or the like.

There's no reason to have this very normal anxiety get the better of you when there is stuff to help. Just a very short term thing, but it will make a big difference, I promise you.

Keep reading, keep posting, and please stop into Chat. The ladies there are wonderful and most of them are going through EXACTLY the same feelings....we've all been there. No need to go through this alone...we're all here to help you every step of the way.

Please call the doctor, and hang here with us...we'll get ya through.

s to you!

Karen
Unread 03-19-2002, 06:02 PM
Bad Pre-op Jitters

Hi Miki,

I know how you feel, tomorrrow 3-20-02 is my surgery. I am
having a hysterectomy (don't know what type) my doctor said
he won't know until he has me under. I have the same thing
you have Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia (wow typing that
is hard). I am so nervous too, as a matter of fact I had a kind
of anxiety attack yesterday and couldn't sleep. So I took a xanax
pill to calm down and that worked really good.

I am feeling a bit anxious today, but I just can't wait to get it over
with and get on with my life. A life without severe bleeding, cramps, anemia, blood transfusions and all that bad stuff I've had
to go through with this problem.

So concentrate on the good stuff, how wonderful your life will be
after surgery, when you don't have to deal with all this messy stuff. I don't know how much you have suffered with this, but if you have gone through half of what I have, you'll want it over with and done.

So don't worry, It will all be fine (keep telling yourself that) I do.
And leave it all in the hands of the most high God.
I will pray for you tonight, since tomorrow I'll be on meds.

God bless you and surround you with his angels, his peace be with you, and may he comfort you with the knowledge that he will
be there with you and see you through this.

s
Nora V.
Unread 03-19-2002, 06:26 PM
Bad Pre-op Jitters

Hey there....I am 3 1/2 weeks post op having had a LAVH. I was nervous before also...but great doctors and hospital staff helped me through. During my preop when I met with hospital staff..the
anesthesiologist asked me if I had any concerns...I said I just do not want to wake up nauseated. He said he would put the necessary medicine in my IV since I had asked and that should take care of my fear. I went in the morning of surgery, had to wait 30 minutes before they called me...believe it or not..due to
the grace of God...I was relatively calm, which I could not believe.
They took me in to preop, got my weight, took my blood pressure, had me change and gave me a local in my hand to numb me before they put the IV in me. Both my anes. and doctor came to talk to me in the preop room..they both tried their best
to calm my fears...but by this time I was fine and was already getting very sleepy. They took me into the Operating room and talked to me for a minute...I hardly remember any of that, and then I was in la la land...sound asleep. I was grateful I did not have to be awake for them to put all of the machines on me and all of the prepping they do in the operating room. The next thing I knew they were waking me up and telling me everything went GREAT!! I don't remember too much after that until I was in my room. I was NEVER nauseated one bit...I am so thankful for that. I had AWESOME nurses that I was sure had to be angels. You will do fine...the only other thing I would advise is to take your OWN pillow to the hospital with you. It is so much more comfortable and it is helpful for the car ride home with the bumps you may go over. Good luck and I will be thinking about you. Take care.
Kay
Unread 03-19-2002, 06:54 PM
Bad Pre-op Jitters

You are all such a blessing. My anxiety has gotten so bad, I've taken more xanax in past 2 months than in the previous 10. Today, the attack snuck up ... more like PMS (haven't cycled since December except for 1 wk of weird staining). I found myself wanting to have a hissy fit at work (and I work with all men). The xanax hit me a little strong, but would have hit stronger if I hadn't recognized it and taken it when I did. I know that waiting till my 4/10 castle appt. is going to be rough ... we all surely need those uplifting stories!

I've spoken harshly both online and off (though I'm really trying not to) ... I'M SOOO SORRY, please forgive me. This is the time of my life I'll look back on soon and refer to as my psycho time ...

Technically, psychotic can be anything that interferes with normal functioning. If bees swarm around me, I stop whatever and duck / dodge them ... therefore, they've stopped my normal functioning, and the appropriate antipsychotic drug is to remove the bees ... so, you see, psycho-week does really fit
Thank you for posting and for answering this thread.
Unread 03-19-2002, 07:00 PM
Bad Pre-op Jitters

{{{KATIE}}}

Don't worry, we've all been there! Somebody here this week called it a "wait-mare"...I thought that was a perfect description of the kind of anxiety episode you've talked about!!

Hang in there...it just doesn't get any worse that this. It DOES get much much better!!!!!

HUGS to you!

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register