TAH/BSO on 3/15 - doing great! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO on 3/15 - doing great! TAH/BSO on 3/15 - doing great!

Unread 03-19-2002, 04:00 PM
TAH/BSO on 3/15 - doing great!

I had a TAH/BSO mid afternoon on 3/15 and have been home from hospital since Sunday afternoon and I am doing really really well. After reading everything on this website and the Book by the Hsyter Sisters and numerous sections of the book "Woman's Guide to Hysterectomy" I was prepared for a pretty rough time... but I have been very lucky and it has been pretty uneventful. I think other gals need to know that sometimes it all works out really well.. I was pretty dopey the night of surgery, but was up standing at 5am on Saturday morning and walking by noon. I did not use any of the pain medication available in the pump but I did use the Naprasyn (2 pills every 6 hours).... the hardest part was waiting for the "big" gas pass and getting back onto solid food. I walked about every two - three hours and napped a lot - I didn't even turn on the TV until Sunday afternoon... Getting into my car that DH brought to the hospital was a bit iffy - it's pretty low to the ground, but getting out was actually easier... and now I have been home, basically by myself most of the day (7am-7pm) and trying to keep pretty quiet. I nap when I can :nap: I walk the lap around the LR,DR,K,FR 5 times at least twice a day and am keeping up the fluids and juices (got some of those large bottles with straws built in).... have taken a shower or two, washed my hair, I can feed the kitties, sit in most of the chairs in the kitchen and family room (and computer room). There are twinges when getting out of bed in the morning or after long naps... but the majority of pain has been minimal and it feels like I did 200 too many sit ups....
I feel free lucky compared to some of you who have had a an awful time post surgery... I only hope my luck continues to hold. DR started me on my Premarin.625 in the hospital and I haven't experienced any hormonal issues (yet!!) I noticed today for the first time that I seem to be losing a lot of hair when I brush my hair or comb it out from a wash - that could be hormonal or as an after effect of the anesthesia... My DH is completely amazed as are most of my friends (particularly those that have had this surgery)...
I will now move to the Post Op board, but wanted all the ladies in waiting to know that there are gals out there who have ok experiences (I wouldn't call it great or even good, but ok)....
Thanks to everyone for their support and messages of hope, I think they helped a lot. :Silly:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 04:16 PM

You sound great! Glad you are having a good recovery...hope I'll be doing as well as you in a few weeks!

Gail
Unread 03-19-2002, 04:51 PM
I felt great too.....

In fact I felt so good that I forgot I was supposed to be resting and over did a few things, and BOY am I regretting it! I am sure I will heal just fine, but the swelly belly and pillow police have nabbed me.

To all you LIW... REST REST REST!!!!!!

Bev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 05:31 PM

Thanks for letting us know that all is well with you! I too was very surprised at how minimal my pain was after my TAH/BSO. I did just fine on 800mgs of Motrin every four hours, after the first 24hrs on the pump.

You are doing great with your princess training....keep it up and you should see slow improvements each day. Remember that sitting is an activity, so don't overdo the computer time or sitting up too much.

Wishing you a peaceful recovery...enjoy your down time!!!

Karen
Unread 03-19-2002, 08:19 PM

Wow sew.........I feel REALLY good after reading your post. I am going in a month.....and I've been petrified. I hope and pray my recovery will be manageable.
You sound like you have a gret attitude. Thanks for sharing your story with us. It made me feel better. HUGS and rest up hon!
Lisa
Unread 03-20-2002, 04:51 AM
WOW!

I want to be just like you when I become a princess!
thanks for the encouraging message!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register