HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Posts from the Heart > Aching Hearts

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Tired of feeling sad/worthless Tired of feeling sad/worthless

Unread 11-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Tired of feeling sad/worthless

I have been sad and feeling worthless despite taking Zoloft. My gyno said I had a hypothyroid and low iron at my last visit so I think that could part of the problem.
I should be having a hysterectomy and bladder suspension next month and I really am looking forward to it-call me crazy. I'm sick of my bladder leaking, heavy & frequent periods, etc. I know it won't solve everything, but I want to feel me again. I've gained an enormous amount of weight, have constant brain fog, zero sex drive (he doesn't want sex anyway and I leak so bad during), and I've been an emotional wreck. I have to keep reminding myself I have two kids whom I love dearly and I would never leave them. My depression and host of medical issues are really starting to scare me. Will I ever get my old self back?? Am I going to go through more depression after surgery? I don't think I can handle it!
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Re: Tired of feeling sad/worthless

If you are keeping your ovaries then this should help with hormone balance and mood issues, but no guarantee this will prevent the menopausal symptoms.
Some women do have problems afterwards with moods, depression after this surgery . You may be going through pre-menopause now where your hormone levels are starting to fluctuate and cause some problems with your moods.

You sound like you need your surgery and it will help with some of your problems. Ask your doctor if you will be able to take hormones after your surgery. Women sometimes need hormones to feel better with balance after the surgery.

Unread 11-11-2013, 09:01 AM

Low iron can cause debilitating fatigue and lethargy - have you spoken with your doctor about trying to bring your levels up via infusions before surgery? It's not a magic solution, but it could well be a part of what's making you feel so down and it's a part with a relatively easy resolution.

You're in my prayers.
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:53 AM

Thinking of you. I found out I had hypothyroid in the fall of 2012 and it did a number on me. I gained a lot of weight. I'm on medication for it but still struggle with fatigue although it is much better than it was. I telecommute for work and would literally drag myself downstairs after work and sleep for two hours. I don't do that anymore. My dr tests my thyroid continously and has adjusted my med for it. Are you on medication for it?
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:52 PM

Meds for thyroid are starting to help I think. I've been taking my Zoloft faithfully as well. If this is going to be my last period I will be forever grateful. It's been a doozy going on 3 weeks now. Should be getting a date very soon for surgery. Unfortunately, it has to be over the holidays, but it's the the only time I have off.
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srtx View Post
Meds for thyroid are starting to help I think. I've been taking my Zoloft faithfully as well. If this is going to be my last period I will be forever grateful. It's been a doozy going on 3 weeks now. Should be getting a date very soon for surgery. Unfortunately, it has to be over the holidays, but it's the the only time I have off.
I can TOTALLY relate to finding joy in knowing that the surgery is coming!! I also had the never ending cycles and went thru everything on the market trying to find "normalcy" before my surgery! Depo-Provera was finally approved by the FDA- well that was a "nice" 3 month cycle!!

Even if your surgery is over the holidays, be happy There is a reason it is called "time off" and yes, I am the pot calling the kettle black LOL. Also, remember that everybody's recovery is different!! My friends say I was "lucky" because mine was so easy. It's not that it was "easy" it was just WAY better than the pain and bleeding I had fought for years!
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Tired of feeling sad/worthless

In no way shape or form would I ever minimize a 3 week or 3 month cycle. It's torture no matter how much time PAST a "normal" cycle is for anyone. For me, 7 months straight and this past one was 5 months. I was immensely grateful the day of surgery, my bleeding finally stopped. I never could have imagined a life without bleeding before this surgery.
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:02 AM

I also was looking forward to my surgery! Bleeding constantly and the worthless feelings, I couldn't cope! My surgery went very well and although it took me a full year to recuperate fully and was rocky, I am 15months post surgery and emotionally sane. I have my moments of course, but I can work through them much better. When I feel like I need a cry, I give myself permission to cry and get it out. I am not doing hrt because after 8 months of confusion and magnified Pam's, I decided it wasn't for me. Believe me, I tried different kinds and different doses and felt crazy! But I decided for myself that I was better off without it and I have not regretted that decision. It is different for each one of us, so take deep breaths, consider your doctors advice, don't neglect to tell them everything no matter how insignificant it may seem, and if they don't seem to understand or support you, find you another doctor ASAP.

I ended up taking a full 6 weeks off and felt guilty in a lot of ways because I didn't think my coworkers understood but it was my life and my body and I knew I couldn't handle certain things or could deal with things very well, so my doctor helped me in that aspect. But you know what your body is capable of, no one else, so please try not to stress about what time you need, how much rest you need (I had to rest between putting on makeup and getting dressed!) it makes it worse if you feel you aren't performing to satisfaction! This is major surgery and you might not bounce back like some other women, but that's ok!!!! Take it one day at a time, one step at a time, and listen to YOU. Good luck and God bless!
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:36 AM

*not Pam's! Should be PMS! Stupid spell check! Lol
Unread 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsmac View Post
*not Pam's! Should be PMS! Stupid spell check! Lol
I always called it PAMS since you cant really pronounce PMS and people look at you crazy when you bring up PMS in public. so it was my Pretty Abhorrent Menstrual Cycle

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway