anxious and nervous 1 week to go | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anxious and nervous 1 week to go anxious and nervous 1 week to go

Unread 03-19-2002, 08:57 PM
anxious and nervous 1 week to go

Good evening Ladies. Well as my topic said I have 1 week to go and am getting very anxious. But I am also getting very nervous. My dh sid everything will be fine,he is well prepared in knowing what will have to be done when I get out. But he has never had to do this(housewife duties). I am very pround of him and my 10dd,my9ds and my 3dd. But still when I am not pre-occupied I start thing about the or and get butterflies. Any last minute advice? What were the things that you did tried to achieve and get done in the last week before your or. I ordered the book from hystersisters on Sunday,I wish I would have found this wonderful caring support group sooner.I hope my book will be here before I go in. Sorry I am rambling just nervous!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 09:35 PM
What to do?

You will do fine. Just remember to let your family help you. Be glad that your husband is willing to help. One thing -- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO VACUUM POST-OP for at least six weeks. Your doctor will tell you when it is ok to do the housework. There will be stitches inside that you are not aware of and these can pull when you use a vacuum. Just make sure that you ask him WHEN, what and how much you can do. I don't know what type of surgery you are having, but your doctor will give you orders on what you can and cannot do. Listen to his or her instructions and try not to overdo.
As far as the book goes, you will love it. It has a lot of light reading in it that you can do at the hospital. It made me laugh when I was down and feeling sorry for myself. You will see that everyone goes through the same emotions, just not at the same time.
If you feel like e-mailing me direct, please do. My e-mail address is Norwaylin@aol.com

Best of luck to you next week.
Linda
Unread 03-20-2002, 03:38 AM

Hi BjS3/27,

Welcome to Hystersisters!!

I hope your book will come before your surgery, but if it doesn't, (if you haven't already found them), there are lots of pre-op and post-op hints on the home page (click onto the 3 Princesses at the upper left of this page to get there).

It sounds as if you will have a great support team at home, and your two oldest are old enough to help out, too, so your DH won't have to do it all himself.

Linda's advice about vacuuming is right - also no mopping or sweeping - all of those activities can pull the internal stitches.

Continue to read and post questions - we'll be here for you.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 06:42 PM

Hi BJS3/27,
One week to go ... I remember that feeling. At that point I was trying to get things in order at work since I knew I would be off for six weeks. At home, I was trying to make sure we had foods and juices that I thought I would want, a good supply of my favorite shampoo (sounds crazy, I know) and other toiletries that DH probably could not find on his own.

Hang in there. I know it's tough at this point. Sounds like you will get lots of support at home, so take advantage of it. Remember, no lifting anything over about 10 pounds for the first six weeks. Best of luck!

Beth
Unread 03-20-2002, 09:30 PM

Hi, BJ -

I'm with the others - you'll do fine - let your family help. Remember that dirt and dust will keep, and the world will honestly not fall apart if the house is a mess for awhile. Your health has to take priority. And there are lots of easy to fix foods that your husband and the older kids can make - they'll manage just fine! In fact, I bet the kids will feel very special that they can help Mom!

I had grand plans to clean, dust and vacumn before my surgery, but was hit with a strained shoulder and the news that I may have thyroid cancer, so spent the last few weeks running to doctor visits and having medical tests and not feeling physically up to cleaning. And it's all still there :-) My husband was busy with work and our business and taking care of me and an injury of his own, so housework just had to slide. I've had to just look past the dirty floors and dust. I'm now at a point where I can do some of the cleaning, but there's a lot that still just will have to wait. And we ate Healthy Choice frozen dinners and soup and sandwiches. I found that in a few days after I got home, I was quite able to work with my husband to make some of the meals and do laundry (I instructed and did some things, while he lifted and reached and bent over for things we needed). Working together, we did just fine!
Unread 03-21-2002, 05:36 AM

Ditto on what the other ladies told you. Also, prepare a place for when you are back home. We don't have a TV in our bedroom, so we set up a couch in the family room facing the TV, put a table next to it at the right level for me to reach and drink water, take meds, etc. Then we got a tray and put my puzzle books, magazines, etc. on it along with my pencils and pencil sharpener. A box of kleenex, heating pad, and a waste can nearby also. I went straight home from the hospital and right to my little couch from which I did all my "business" for the next couple of weeks or so.

My kids are 11 and 13. We talked a lot about how my recovery would be and how much help I'd need. They were great and loved doing things for Mom for once.

Sounds like your prepared, so stay calm and before you know it, it will be over!
Unread 03-21-2002, 06:24 AM

Up until the last week before my surgery I was very calm. I didn't get crazy nervous, but I did keep going to the grocery store and stocking up til I couldn't fit one more thing in the refrig or pantry.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register