curvix...to stay or go!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

curvix...to stay or go!! curvix...to stay or go!!

Unread 03-20-2002, 05:35 AM
curvix...to stay or go!!

Can anyone tell me the answer...I am having surgury in May and I cant decide. It was hard enough to decide to have a tah. I have large fibroids. (No heavy bleeding or pains or anything for that matter) Thats why it was so hard to decide. They grew to about a 4to5 month size...little bloating. Dr. says I am having some pressure on my kidney. anyway...about the curvix??? any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 08:11 AM
Hi jlo

Unfortunately none of us can tell you what to do regarding the cervix. If you ask 10 different women you will get 10 different answers.
However knowledge is power. So I suggest you hit the search button on the upper right side of this page and type in cervix. You will get lot's of "hits" and threads to read through. This will provide you with alot of different experiences women have had here. Keep in mind that women can have different experiences at different stages of their recovery as well.
Also, please discuss your concerns with your doctor and his nursing staff or additional medical practitioner's.
I don't know if I actually had a choice in keeping my cervix due to the endometrial cancer. I pretended I did for awhile. My cervix was actually found to have a precancerous condition when it was removed and my PAP had been normal. So for me I was glad I had it out.
But this is your body and your decision. Please use the search features and the forums to get lot's of information to help you in this decision.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 03-20-2002, 09:45 AM
curvix...to stay or go!!

This is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, unless you are having a vaginal hyst, then the cervix has to go. This is the way my DR explained it to me: the cervix is not a separate organ, it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.

I am six weeks post and have had no problems so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 01:53 PM
curvix...to stay or go!!

If you're doing an opinion poll...my cervix is - pardon the pun, hystory! For me, it was a pragmatic thought -- One less thing you could get "cancer of". Searching on "Cervix" is a good idea. Some people have a very emotional time with that particular decision.
Unread 03-20-2002, 02:20 PM
curvix...to stay or go!!

Hi there!

I am 32years old and 2weeks post-op today; I feel great! My Doc. is female and she suggested I keep my cervix...I did so, and from the folks I know who also did, they have had no issues. Keeping the cervix helps prevent bladder problems and also sexual problems...it does serve a purpose! My hysterectomy was done laproscopically...everything else was taken out. I am also a medical school student, and would want to remind you that yearly pap smears would be necessary if you decide to keep this organ...so talk to the Doc!

Good Luck!
HUGS!
Deborah
Unread 03-20-2002, 04:14 PM
curvix...to stay or go!!

In the manner of full disclosure I must say that my mother AT THE AGE OF 75 had a TAH/BSO because of a her fallen bladder and prolapsed uterus, not to mention the ovarian cyst. The only guarantee is that we are all different. I'll also tell you about my best friend who had a cystocele and rectocele with her hyst with prolapsed uterus that was all held together with her cervix. The only guarantee is that we are all different and need all the information we can get our hands on in order to make an informed decision as to what is right for each of us.
Unread 03-20-2002, 05:33 PM
curvix...to stay or go!!

I just wanted to add that even if you don't keep your cervix it is still advisable to continue to get paps and exams because cancer can even turn up in the vagina. Each dr. is different though so ask first. I you decide to keep your cervix you would have to notify your dr. I noticed you said TAH. Total means uterus and cervix so it would include the removal of the cervix. Your dr. would have to have the training to do a supracervical also known as a partial hysterectomy. Also be aware that that there is a possibility of "mini periods" every month if you keep your cervix. Good luck in your decision.
Unread 03-20-2002, 05:44 PM
cervix... to stay or go!!

hi!! i had my hyst last july,for 3 large uterine fibroids,and had 2 LEEP's earlier last year for stage 3 cervical dysplasia. keeping my cervix wasn't an option. my ob/gyn had indicated at the hospital after performing the second LEEP,that she wouldn't do it,again,unless the 2nd procedure was totally successful. i ended up with a diagnosis of carcinoma in situ,anyway. so,with that,and the fibroids,there wasn't any other procedure she'd feel comfortable doing. i didn't want it,but i'd rather have no worries about cancer cells from the cervix turning up somewhere else down there!!!!! so,out it came. i feel really good.
Unread 03-20-2002, 07:23 PM
curvix...to stay or go!!

Hi jlo,

As you can see, everyone has an opinion about keeping or not keeping their cervix ... and ovaries are much the same. Be sure to ask your gyn about this (keeping cervix) since the location of your fibroids could be a factor as well.

Best of luck.

Beth
Unread 03-20-2002, 07:41 PM
curvix...to stay or go!!

Please read the post by trish in this thread.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=29944

I think trish's post brings up some important points, and as Beth said, everyone has a different opinion. You have lots of time to research your options, and I'm sure you'll make the decision that's best for you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register