New here! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-20-2002, 06:04 AM
New here!

Hi, my name is Jodie and I am 29, but going to be 30 in a few weeks. For the past 4 years, after the birth of my last child, I have had problems with my periods. Very heavy bleeding and cramps. Sometimes I have been worried about leaving the house because I'm afraid I will have an "embarrassing moment" it public. It has happened a few times. My doctor has put me on the pill...didn't work, then I had surgery where he scraped the lining of my uterus. I think it was called a "resection". Well, that seemed to work for about 4 months, then the heavy bleeding started again. Well, I am finally tired of this and called him on Monday and went to see him on Tuesday. I had some labs done and he told me my options. Try the pill again (don't think so) try the resection again....what if it fails again??? Or a TVH. He wasn't crazy about doing a TVH because of my age. My mother had one at 35 and my grandmother at 42. I don't want to wait another 5 years! I am tired of living this way. So, he finally says he will do a TVH. He tells me the risks, and everything. So I get in my car and start to drive home and I'm thinking, "wow this will FINALLY be done and over with!" Well now today... the day after, I'm getting a bit freaked out. I've been reading all of the message boards and it sure does help, but still I'm a little worried. It just seems funny to me because for 4 years all I thought about was having this surgery and how bad I wanted the problem to be solved and now that I have the green light, I'm getting scared. Did anyone else have these feelings? I'm thinking things like, will sex be the same? Will it hurt? How can I have them take out a part of me, the "home" of my 3 kids for 9 months? Will I feel like "less" of a woman? I sure could use some advice. No surgery date has been set as of yet, because we are checking out things with insurance and stuff but my Doctor said he could do it fairly soon. Help! I just don't know if it wil be doing the right thing. Thanks!
Jodie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 06:23 AM
New here!

HI Jodie,

Welcome!!!You have found a great site. Hopefully everyone will be able to calm your fears a little and give you some advice. They are wonderful ladies... Well just to let you know Im 29 and had the same feelings you are having. Im three weeks post-op and feeling wonderful. I too wanted relief from heavy periods and pelvic pain. When my dr finally decided to do a TAH. I was a bit nervous. I couldn't believe it would finally be over. The waiting and thinking about it are truley the worst part of the whole thing. You didn't say if your dr is going to try to leave your ovaries. My dr left my left ovary so I have not had the feeling of emptyness like some women do. I wish you the best of luck in your decisions and remember if you have anymore questions your in the right place. Take Care.

Jeanie

P.S. Im from Michigan too Corunna where are you?
Unread 03-20-2002, 06:32 AM
New here!

Hi Jeanie-

My overies will be kept. For that I am grateful. I am so glad to hear from you. I live in Rockford, which is near Grand Rapids. I'm glad to see I'm not the only "younger" one here who is considering this surgery. I know my life will be better off, but of course I'm worried. I am also wondering why some doctors do a TAH, instead of the TVH, and how does he know that he will be able to do a TVH on me. I guess I should have asked him yesterday! I wasn't thinking I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 06:43 AM
New here!

s Jodie & welcome to HysterSisters!

You've come to the right place for lots of support and answers.

I too had those "embarassing moments" and understand how you feel. I've had irregular periods with lots of cramping since I was 12. (I'm 38 now.) I was able to take the pill for years, but after my 2nd baby, noticed I would get migraines every month during the week I wasn't taking the BCPs and they would last for days. The dr explained that it was due to the dip in estrogen at that time. About 5 years ago, I had a tubal so I wouldn't have to suffer from the migraines as often. During the time of the tubal, I also had a hysterscopy, laparoscopy, and D&C because of all the heavy bleeding and pain - not only menstrual pain, but also horrible back & side pain. The dr found that I had adhesions that had attached to my intestines as a result of the C-sections and removed them.

Well, removing the adhesions did take care of a lot of the pain, but I still had horrible cramping with periods and the bleeding kept getting worse & worse. I almost begged for a hysterectomy. Then about 3 years ago, after having nothing but normal paps since age 17, my results came back with severe endocervical dysplasia. The dr took care of it. The next year, it came back again and this time did a different procedure, but told me if it came back again, he wanted to do a hyst. I was all for going ahead with the hyst right then so I wouldn't have to worry about it coming back and to get rid of the pain & heavy bleeding. But the dr said the insurance company may not pay for a hyst at that point. Finally, this past November, the dr saw signs of adenomyosis during a vaginal ultrasound and told me that the only true cure for it was a hyst. He didn't think taking hormones would be a choice for me since I'd already had problems with BCPs and the hormones only were a temporary buy for time anyway. He said he could do an ablation, but that too was only temporary for it IF it helped to begin with.

Hearing that he was finally going to do a hyst, I almost wanted to jump with joy, but at the same time, I was surprised at how I suddenly felt. After wanting to have the op for so long, I couldn't figure out why I was all of a sudden having such mixed feelings. It was like before, it was my choice, but now, I was being told I had to have it done & my choices were taken away. For the next month, up until time for surgery, I kept wondering if I was doing the right thing and had all the same questions you do.

At the time of my visit when the dr found the adeno, he also did a pap smear. It had come back negative. One month later, after my hyst, the pathology report showed that the severe endocervical dysplasia had returned AGAIN. Because it came back and was severe and up so high each time in only 3 short years, I feel very relieved that the hyst was the right thing for me to do. Not to mention that I will never have to suffer from these horrible periods again!!!

I do not miss my cervix one bit and the sex life is just as good or better as before. That was a huge relief. Don't put anything into the vagina until the dr says it's ok and then only when you feel ready. The first time or so, take it easy. You may want to try being the one on top so you can control the penetration. It didn't hurt me, but I was careful. Kinda felt like a virgin again.

I understand how you feel about the uterus being the home for your babies when you carried them there, but I now feel about mine that it served it's purpose while it was there and is not needed for more babies. It was begging to come out, so I honored it's request and bid it farewell.

My dh told me when I asked him if he would think I was less of a woman and he said no, I will still look the same and still be the same woman he loves. I realized he's right. Even though I had an organ removed, I'm still the same person with the same thoughts and feelings. I wouldn't be any different if I had an appendix or any other organ removed, so why would I be any different without a uterus. The only thing different is that I don't have periods with pain & heavy bleeding...and that's wonderful thing.

Good luck in what you decide and please let us know.

Pam
Unread 03-20-2002, 06:59 AM
New here!

I felt the same way..For yrs I did everything I could to make my organs work so that I could have children. the adhesions caused infertility that I finaly after five surgery's was able to concieve. So after these yrs after having children that I have had cramping and in the last yr bleeding all of the time and pain., I was still a bit upset about the thought of losing my uterus..Not that I was going to have more children, but the idea that I could never have them upset me..It is emotional. I am glad that I had it done My life can be a normal life without worrying IF my period is going to start again. I had sore breasts all month long cuz I would bleed every ten days..I am not four weeks post op from a TVH and feel great..I followed my DR's instructions to a T and have had a wonderful healing proces..Sure there are things here and there that get you down. But it is not bad And my dr gave me the green lite to have sex at 3 weeks post op WE tried it once and I was just too nervous so waited another week and it is wonderful Better than it was before and that is the truth. I too kept my ovaries..And I am not sure if it is going to stay liket his but sex is great..Just take it easy and go slow. Don't do anything unless Dr says you can and the recovery is not bad at all..I get tired in the afternoon and sit in my recliner with my feet up for an hour or so. And that is about the worst of it at t his point..Good luck to you. And know what you are feeling are normal emotions..And welcome to hystersisters..I am so thankful I found this site too
Unread 03-20-2002, 06:59 AM
You are not alone.....

Hi Jodie,

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in how you are feeling. I am 33 and have been dealing with the heavy bleeding and pain for years now. I was just diagnosed a couple of weeks ago with adenomyosis. I have been through taking the pill, a D&C and laparoscopy, and also having to take pain meds for the severe pain. Now I am finally scheduled for my hyster. on 3/27/02 and I am getting scared also. I have been waiting for this surgery for so long and now that the time has come I am soooo scared. I know that I will feel better afterwards, but I am like you and having all the same fears and questions in my mind.
This is a GREAT site to get information and talk to ladies who are going through the same things you are. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and I know things will work out GREAT. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
Unread 03-21-2002, 07:35 AM
Neighbors...

Hi Jodie...Howard City here...were neighbors! I am only 31 and have tried b/c and lupron...both failed. Had a laporoscopy in June,01 and diagnosed with possible/probable adenomyosis. Have an appt with a new gyn (insurance reasons) on April 4th with hopes of a hyst. I am sure if that is what he decides I will be excited, but yet scared. This site has been such a supportive and educational site.
Unread 03-21-2002, 07:58 AM
New here!

Wow...Howard City. I pass by that everytime we go up to Cadillac where my in-laws live. I am even more nervous now that I seen the pictures of how they do a TVH on Pelvicfloor.com. I guess I shouldn't have looked Oh well, I guess if I can be done forever with this heavy bleeding and pain it will be well worth it. I really do hope that my insurance OK's this because my Dr. told me they will balk about my age. Then again they will see that I have tried the pill, and had a failed ablation, they should give me the green light. Keep your fingers crossed! I hope everything works out for you as well, keep me posted!
Unread 03-21-2002, 08:34 AM
New here!

Hi Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I am only 25 and I have 2 children at home I am 2 weeks post-op from a TVH and I feel better now than I have in the past 2 yrs. This op actually turned out to be a blessing for me, my Dr. thought I had adenomyosis but as it turns out from my lab reports I had endo on my uterus on the back side of it and that was the cause of my misery. Don't be scared I know that's easier said than done but the worst part was the last few days before the surg. and it all worked out great. The main thing is to remember you are not alone and read all the info you can find it helps to know as much as possible.
Unread 03-21-2002, 08:41 AM
Hello Jodi!

Well you are definitely not alone!! I just turned 30 last month and most of my problems started after my only child. When I was younger before husband I had 2 miscarriages not that I know if those have anything to do with my ongoing problem. Ever since I started my period when I was like 12 I have had irregular periods. When I was 18 I had cervical dysplasia (starting of cancer cells) I had my cervix cauterized and I was free from that nad had good paps ever since! My problem started like I said right after my son he will be 6 yrs old next month I have endometriosis and have had 2 laproscopic surgeries a D&C, been on Lupron injections (never again!! Horrible) I had a chocolate cyst removed from my right ovary and then lo and behold 1 year later problems bleeding all the time and heavy cramping, recently had a very large blood clot pass through me but boy did my cramps lessen afterwards!!
I had 4 options and have done them all in the past and Hysterectomy last option and my surgery is on March 29, friday. I am excited that its closer but I am nervous too! My auth. from the ins I was tiold would take 2 weeks which in the past for the other procedures it did! But for this it took 2 days!!! I freaked out when I got the phone call I cried I screamed I laughed I went through all the emotions within 30 seconds...I know your fears and I along with other women share the same feelings. Keep reading the boards and get into the Chat room, alot of helpful and encouraging words there. You are not alone OK

Look upon Jesus and he help you through!
God Bless!
Christine

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register