I got my DATE!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I got my DATE!! I got my DATE!!

Unread 03-20-2002, 07:02 AM
I got my DATE!!

I am scheduled for surgery (TAH/BSO with rectocele/cystocele repair) on April 30, 2002.

I am so ready!!

I go on April 25th for my pre-op.

I had an interesting thought today. I read another post where one of us hit the wall when it finally dawned on her that she's post-meno. Well, I hit that wall this morning! Except my wall said "YOU ARE NEVER HAVING ANOTHER PERIOD AGAIN AFTER APRIL!!!" I've had my tubes tied since 1986. I went through a brief mourning period then - the never having another child thing. Didn't last long. I just had to convince myself that it was very possible I'd have triplets again! That straightened me right up! Ha Ha!

But this other thing... I kinda makes me sad. I guess I'm going through another mourning period a little early just with the knowledge that it's gonna happen. Geez. This was completely unexpected. I mean the feelings. You know??

I am glad that I'll never menses again. But ON THE OTHER HAND.....

Thanks for listening.

Ya'll are great!

Joann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 07:50 AM
Date/Mourning

Hey Joann,

I had those exact same feelings! I've had four kids and sure didn't want more, but I guess the finality of it all was tough! Just knowing I COULDN'T have them was so permanent.

I'm now 10 month post-op and am feeling fine!! I have a grandson, Tyler, who's 18 months old and he keeps me busy, so I don't have time to think about having kids. He really helps remind me why I'm glad I won't have to run after a little one again!! I love him so much, but I'm glad he goes back to his house!

Don't worry, you're not bananas, just human. We women have it in us to have babies and when that's gone, sometimes we think our lives are over, but they're not! I used to complain about doing nothing but kids because mine were born so close together, ('78, '84, '85, '87) but now I think twice about that!

Just enjoy today and don't fret. If this is the choice you made, you must've had some reason for it. This too shall pass (those feelings of mourning). It will get better!!

Take care,
Unread 03-20-2002, 08:24 AM
Hi Joann

Yes, this is definitely a right of passage. A little sadness at saying goodbye to who we were is normal and appropriate. And sometimes too the surgery brings on changes in our bodies a little earlier than expected.
I know for me, even at 50, I was not ready to feel "post-menopausal". But even at my early stage of recovery I am feeling better. No more anemia, no more flooding and ruined clothes. Boy can I look forward to my next vacation. I won't have to pack a case of pads!
I want to acknowledge you for "feeling your feelings" whatever they maybe. Keep honoring where you have been and where you are going. Life just keeps moving us forward.
Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register