HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

I may have waited too long to get checked I may have waited too long to get checked

Unread 11-18-2013, 02:41 PM
I may have waited too long to get checked

It was suggested that I move to this thread so here I go...

Background : I had a molar pregnancy in 2007 and family history of cancer and fibroids and all kinds of uterine issues and I am guilty of avoiding issues so as to not have to deal with them.
Well my 6 week post baby pap came back abnormal in July of last year. I got a colposcopy [i dont remember what stage/kind i had but the doc drew a pic and told me that I had cervical dysplasia and that it was oddly shaped[whatever that means]. we have <insurance company name removed per website guidelines> and I had to wait for a referal to be put in for a leep which took a month just to be able to make an appt and so I just kept putting it off.
I never got the leep [the doc told me id be hard for me to carry another child so I was hoping that I might have another baby first which never happened and that was 18 months ago]. recently I started having cervical cancer symptoms [pelvic pain, bleeding between periods, pain during sex] and am freaking out becuase appts have to be made a month ahead with one doc just so they can put in a referral for me to see someone else a month later [if im lucky] just to wait to put in another referal and so on and so on... its a long process and Im scared about all the time Ive already wasted. I just wanted to talk to somone knowledgable so I dont feel like Im over reacting or over thinking but god knows what my cervix looks like now and how bad its gotten... so im am stressing out about waiting any longer and feeling so stupid for waiting as long as i have...Im so scared and dreading my next appt to start the process all over again... and I am just hoping that with the knowledge they already have that they dont make me start from square 1
Unread 11-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Re: I may have waited too long to get checked

Take a deep breath, sweetie! The first step is to get back to the doctor which it sounds like you're doing. Sometimes, docs are able to facilitate the referral process, if they feel it's necessary. And, as you said, you have a previous issue as well. So, don't over-stress that part of things just yet.

Some of the issues you're having can be symptoms of cervical cancer, but that doesn't mean that it's a certainty that's what you have. Even if it does turn out to be something along those lines, many of the gyn cancers are slower growing, so things still could be caught at a fairly early stage. The most important thing at this point is that you do get things checked and moving forward (if necessary).

Whatever the outcome, you can do this, and we'll be here to help however we can.

Unread 11-19-2013, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I am just really nervous as to how badly things may have progressed because I know that whatever the results are its something I allowed to happen :[
I always expect the worst.
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:44 AM

I am miss negative thinker myself....welcome. All I can say is be a pain in their butt. Call for cancellations enough that they will know your voice and not want to hear from you again so they will squeeze you in. Its your body....be its advocat! Keep us posted
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM

So I called and called and called and got my appt moved up to this upcoming monday!!! Im so nervous. This appt is only to find a plan of action [whether to start from scratch or where I left off]. I decided to be proactive for once and picked up my medical records so I know what Im dealing with and what to ask the doctor. Its made my anxiety worse because now im looking up the words and they don't seem good for having left untreated for so long. The biopsy results were CIN 2, HGSIL, leukoplakia. Does anyone have any suggestion as to important things to ask??

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.