I have a date! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have a date! I have a date!

Unread 03-20-2002, 03:00 PM
I have a date!

Hello Ladies. My surgery is scheduled on April 17th. Oddly, I've been nervous since I was informed of the date. I had WLS surgery 1 year ago and wasn't nearly as nervous. I guess this time I feel like I'll be losing a part of my womenhood. Oh well, this surgery is definately for the best given the extreme pain I've been in.

Can anyone recommend any items I sould purchase or anything I should do to aid in my recovery? Any comments would be appreciated?

Thanks!

Tonya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 03:16 PM
HI Tonya

First here's a big It is so normal to be nervous, especially now that you have a real date that is coming up. We have all been nervous, this is a big step and a big life experience.
I am so glad you found this site. As you can see so many of us have come through this so well and are so much better than before. Waiting really is the worst part.
Tonya I'll just bet many things make you a remarkable woman; your heart, your spirit, the kindness you give to your family and friends, the people you have helped throughout your life. How could any surgery every take that away? It can't . All those wonderful qualities will be there when you wake up from your surgery just like before you went in. Besides you are going to be an official don't forget.
I too was afraid I would not be the same person. I was so relieved to feel just like me when it was over. It is really going to be okay.
Best purchase I made was a "grabber" to pick the stuff up off the floor and to reach stuff in hi places. About $10-$20 at a hospital supply store. A hospital bed table is nice to rent to, so you don't have to reach alot for that first week or so.
Let us know how you are doing, okay?
Unread 03-20-2002, 04:51 PM
I have a date!

Tonya,

Hi, there is a great list on the Home Page for things to bring to the hospital. I don't think books were mentioned but I've seen lots of posts on that topic. I brought one but my eyes couldn't focus on the small print because of the pain meds!

That grabber idea is great. Two things for home that were super for me were staples: 1. My moist heating pad and 2. We rented a "hospital tray table" from a local pharmacy. It was somewhere around $25. a month and they delivered and picked up.

Other nice ideas that I've seen were - depending on your home situation - do you have stairs? Oh, well, anyway; a styrofoam cooler to keep next to the bed with beverages (fizzy stuff could give you gas); I, personally, prefer my water warm so I put the electric tea kettle in the bedroom and had dh fill a couple of qt. pitchers with water before he went to the office for the first couple of days. I was a TAH/BSO and wasn't really as spry as some are their first few days home.

Do you have dogs? We had to put up a baby gate at the door so our 140 lb dog wouldn't jump on the bed and love me to death.

Think that's all I have to offer. I wish you well and a speedy recovery. You've probably heard this already but the waiting is the worst part. s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 05:54 PM
I have a date!

hi! welcome to the board. all that remains is the waiting,which is nerve-racking,but you'll have enough to keep your mind occupied,reminding yourself of things to ask your doctor,and pre-admission tests to be performed. are you on iron therapy,in preparation to self-donate a pint or two of blood? i did 2 months of Chromagen Forte,and about 2 weeks before surgery,i self-donated a pint of blood. i was told by my ob/gyn that she didn't need to use it,thank God. i came through the surgery beautifully,and having never been under general anesthesia prior to the hyst,i was more unnerved about that,than the procedure itself!!! i kept my ovaries,which was another concern of mine,as i am hypothyroid,and didn't want to have to lose them,even after the fact. she said i'd get another 10 years or so out of them. well,okay. the waiting really IS the hardest part of the whole thing.
Unread 03-20-2002, 07:15 PM
I have a date!

Hello Ladies. I feel much better after reading your posts. What a great idea about the "grabber and the hospital table". This is a wonderful site.

Thank you!

Tonya
Unread 03-20-2002, 07:16 PM
I have a date!

Hi Tonya,
Welcome!

As others have suggested, be sure to check out the pull down menus on the home page, especially for Ladies in Waiting. There are great suggestions for things to take to the hospital and things your family/friends can do to help care for you.

When you're in pain, it's easier to accept that you need to have this surgery. Just don't be surprised that if you have a couple of good days, you may start having second thoughts. Almost everyone has those moments of "do I really need to do this?" Or, "how much pain is enough?" If any of these feeling crop up over the next few weeks, just remember that you are normal and many other ladies have had those thoughts. Deciding to have a hyst is tough, even when you know you need this surgery in order to get your life back.

Hang in there. We'll be here for you, every step of the way.

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register