oopherectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-20-2002, 07:36 PM
oopherectomy

Hello, I'm new to this site. I had a TAH 4 years ago, but they left my ovaries. Last month they found a mass on my Left ovary. I'm scheduled to have both of my ovaries removed tomorrow. I'm a little anxious about surgical menopause and HRT. Any advice is welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 07:46 PM
oopherectomy

Hi Melissa,

So glad you found us!

Will your surgery be laparoscopic or abdominal? I have heard that ovaries can be removed via lap and the recovery should be shorter (?)

I had a TAH/BSO almost 4 months ago. I'm 46, so menopause was coming up soon anyway. As for HRT ... I had stage 4 endo so did not take any estrogen for 12 weeks. Then my gyn started me on low dose estrogen (0.3 mg). I'll go on a higher dose at 6 months post op.

I really have done pretty well without estrogen, and also now on low dose estrogen. I did have pretty severe night sweats at first, but I started taking a soy supplement and that helped. I also take Tylenol PM at night to help me sleep because I was waking up several times a night (mainly due to the sweats) for awhile. I think your body needs a few weeks to get adjusted with or without estrogen.

Bottom line for me: I feel so much better than I did before surgery that night sweats and some hot flashes are a small price to pay for getting rid of the endo pain. I may not be a good one to compare with ... everyone is a little different in terms of how they react to having their ovaries removed and adjusting to HRT. However, I do think attitude has a lot to do with it. Try to focus on the positive. Best of luck!

Beth
Unread 03-21-2002, 04:48 AM
oopherectomy

Hi, Melissa....sorry you have to go thru another surgery. I realize that by the time you read this you'll be back home and recovering, but when you feel up to it, visit the ladies in the Jungle. You can post any questions you have about HRT there and the ladies will do their best to help.

Best wishes to you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2002, 07:26 AM
oopherectomy

Thanks for the reply. Started mt hormone patch friday. Doing okay so far. I'll have to check out "the jungle"!
Unread 03-24-2002, 07:50 AM
I had an Ooph....

... for the right ovary dec 01 and it was removed by laparascopy. Just wanted to add my

Glad you are doing well, Melissa.
Unread 04-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Know how your feeling

I had a hysterectomy in january 2001.... found a large mass on my right ovarie..so i had a oopherectomy in march this year.. im on a hormone patch .. doing pretty good with it... some hot flashes and sweats but all else is ok.. and i was cut belly button down.....Just wanted to let you know.. email if you like

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register