Hysterectomy 5 days away! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy 5 days away! Hysterectomy 5 days away!

Unread 03-20-2002, 08:32 PM
Hysterectomy 5 days away!

Hi, I'm so glad I found Hyster-sisters. Just in the short amount of time I've spent looking around, I can already tell it's a great site. I'm 39 yrs. old. Having (lets see if I get my letters right here!) a TAH and BSO on 3/26/02 and I am really scared. Believe it or not, not so much about the surgery, but about what life will be like afterwards. Yesterday I cried and it was a great way to release some of the emotions! So many people say that I'll feel so much better once I start on HRT, but my DD has told me that I'll have to wait for about 6 months to start, due to the fact I have endometriosis and adenomyosis. I guess it feeds on estrogen, so until all the above mentioned diagnosis are gone, no hormones. Does anyone know if that includes natural HRT? That's the route I'll be taking anyway. I'm afraid I'm going to turn into some fat, moody, sweaty, hot flashing martian. No one will like me anymore, I'll never be the nice, loved (or liked), cheerful person that I am as I sit here today! Really, I like me today and now I'm afraid about what the future hold. If anyone can help out, please do, I'd really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 09:07 PM

Hi, Shari -

Just wanted to send you a hug! I don't have answers to your hormone questions, but I encourage you to do more reading here and talk with your doctor. I'm sure someone who's had to wait awhile for HRT can give you a feel for what they've gone through. I had a TAH-BSO on 3/4 and am doing pretty well on Estradoil, but can relate to all those concerns about what these hormones will do to us! And don't we always imagine the absolute worst possibilities?

I also want to assure you that being scared is normal..about the surgery and afterward - fear of the unknown is very real. And I'm absolutely with you about crying, as I have been doing my fair share of that about another upcoming surgery I'm trying to set up and deal with. I definitely find crying to be good for me, rather than keeping everything bottled up inside.

Hang in there!
Unread 03-21-2002, 09:54 AM
Me too

My TVH is scheduled for the 26th too...7:30 am, glad it's so early so I won't have to worry about it all day...what time are you scheduled for?
HS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2002, 11:45 AM

Hi
Thanks for replying to my post. My surgery is scheduled for 3/26 at 8 in the morning, I'll have to be there at 6. (TAH, BSO) I'm not doing too good right at the moment, pretty scared. I'm past just being nervous! There are so many things to make sure I get done beforehand, it's rediculous. Then, of course, the surgery itself, which everyone keeps telling me will "go just fine" and I have "nothing to worry about". It's funny how easy it is to say that when it's not you! lol! My daughter just came down with strep throat last night and if I get it and my surgery gets moved, I'll just scream. I don't think I could waiting longer. And on top of all this, I think I'm on the virge of starting my period again. What will I do if I'm on it when Tuesday comes? Will they go ahead with the surgery or have to cancel it? I'm sorry, I'm doing a lot of complaining and whining here, but I have so many things bouncing around in my head at the moment! Schiplover, I'll definitely be thinking of you on Tuesday especially. Take care and good luck!
Unread 03-21-2002, 12:01 PM
Welcome!

Hi, Shari! Welcome to HysterSisters! Glad you found us and are getting some support here. Sorry to hear you have to join our "club" but I'm sure you'll be feeling better and be healthier after your hyst. You will still be a nice and lovable person even after your hyst! As far as moodiness and hot flashes, the ladies over at the "No Hormone Desert Oasis" forum can give you some feedback about dealing with this problem if you want to post over there. Some drs will allow their patients to use natural estrogen or even low dose HRT (add-back), but others want them to be completely off estrogen for several weeks to several months to let the endometriosis die out. And yes, they can still do surgery if you're bleeding (what's a little more blood?)! We'll be here to support you through this journey! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 03-21-2002, 12:07 PM

I also am going to the Castle on the 26th. And I too am so nervous. I'm nervous just about my pre-op visit today. I will be having the same TAH/BSO, and am worried about HRT(so is my hubby). Keep coming back to this site, and check out their chat room.Everyone is so nice and caring. They are in deed sisters! I will be thinking of you on the 26th knowing that I am not alone!
Unread 03-21-2002, 12:34 PM

Snickers: Set for a TAH/BSO for endo on 4/23 and my first dr said no hrt for six months too! Went to another dr for second opinion and he recommended same EXCEPT for he said he'd give me hrt immediately! For several reasons, including the HRT factor, I am having dr #2 do it.
Unread 03-21-2002, 12:51 PM

Hi Madeline,

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I go in for my pre-op tomorrow at 11:00 am. I just noticed that we're neighbors! E-mail me directly if you like. Only 2 towns away from each other. Snickers75214@aol.com. And let me know how you're doing as soon as you get the chance.

Good luck to you tomorrow!
Unread 03-21-2002, 01:51 PM

Snickers,

I had a TAH/BSO on 2/28 and I started on Climare .05mg the night of my surgery. After two weeks I was increased to .1mg and I am feeling fine (except for some sleepless nights as I am trying not to take the Ambian). I also had endo stage 2 and anedomysis.

You should discuss with your DR what his plans are for HRT. I discussed it with mine before the surgery and I know that I would be starting it immediatly. Each DR has his/her own plan as each women is different.

Good luck on your surgery. All will be fine after and you will feel like a new women.

Nancy
Unread 03-21-2002, 02:22 PM
HRT

I asked my doctor about taking HRT after surgery, and he said with everything the patient has to going thru, he thinks its good to give the hormones to patients THE NEXT DAY! Hey, i agree!

I have severe endo, with possible rectal involvement and adenomyosis. I tried Synarel (like lupron) and it was hell, and I would rather not go thru the menopause thing so soon after the surgery. At this point, its a quality of life issue. Menopause was tough for me...Been there..did that! Gimme a pill!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register