Hormone Decisions??? Please Help! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone Decisions???  Please Help! Hormone Decisions??? Please Help!

Unread 03-20-2002, 09:14 PM
Hormone Decisions??? Please Help!

Any other new LIW that don't have a clue what to do about the hormone thing. I am having a TAH and having both ovaries removed. I am 40 years old.

I am already taking asthma and allergy medications permanently and I try to do things natural and avoid medications. But I don't know what to do here.

Can I go on the hormones for a year (like the patch) so I can keep myself under control during my recovery and then go to a health food store to do things a little more natural???

I really want to know if everyone is as confused about this is I am.

Also, I have trouble swallowing pills - actually the trouble is so bad I only use chewables or liquids so is the patch a good choice for me or are there other options?

Thank you, Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 09:37 PM

Hi Kathy,

I also am awaiting TAH and BSO. Sounds like we're pretty much in the same confusing boat! If I understood this right from my DD, I won't be able to get on ANY sort of HRT until all the endometriosis is gone from my body. (approx. 6 months) After that I would like to start on the natural stuff. I've read too many horror stories about the synthetic kind. But, where do we turn? There's so much natural stuff out there, how the heck are we supposed to know what to take and how much of it. Doctors seem to only push the stuff they can prescribe. I'm sorry I'm not much help to any of your questions, but I wanted to know that you're not alone in your confusion. E-mail me directly if you like. Take Care!
Unread 03-20-2002, 09:54 PM

Hi, Ladies,

I'm not a hormone expert, but I've learned a lot by visiting the Hormone Jungle. You may want to visit the Jungle yourselves. The ladies there are very caring and supportive, and they know a lot about hormones.

Also, I'd suggest discussing your hormone questions with your GYN, before your surgery. My doctor, for example, starts all of his hysterectomy patients on the same HRT, and then makes changes if necessary. If you ask your doctor about hormones, you'll probably get a good feel for her/his knowledge of hormone replacement, and the type of approach s/he uses.

Good luck with your research, and I hope your surgeries go well.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2002, 04:47 AM

Your DR (doctor) is the first one you should talk to, like Helen said, before surgery, he/she is the most familiar with your particular case, and should also be advising you because of other medical problems. The Hormone Jungle can offer lots of good advice, that's a great place, they know a lot about HRT, they will also tell you to talk to your DR.
Unread 03-21-2002, 05:23 PM
Hi Kathy

Please do discuss all of you hormone concerns with your doctor. I am sure he can give you information on what he will do based upon your health needs.
There is alot of great information, as the other women have said, on The Hormone Jungle. I like to understand the options so I can ask the doc more questions.
Some other great resources for self education are the following website which is a Surgical Guide to Menopause & Hormones. A site just for us
http://www.geocities.com/NoLinks/def.htm
I have also enjoyed Dr. Susan Love's Hormone Book.
But please start with your own doctor or see another one or two if he does not seem to have all of the expertise in this area that you are looking for.
Good luck.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register