Bladder | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-21-2002, 04:35 AM
Bladder

My surgery was 26 years ago at age 28 and I have had no problems until the last couple years. When I cough I can't always control my bladder. Also frequently it feels like I have a weight in my belly bouncing up & down when I walk and it is quite painful. I think my bladder is dropped, one medical exam a couple years confirmed this. I have in the past heard horror stories about bladder repair (painful, quite involved). Can anyone give me current information on bladder repair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2002, 05:27 AM
Bladder

I had bladder repair along with my TAH/BSO last October. I had the sames symptoms prior to that...leaking when I coughed, sneezed, or laughed too hard.
When I awoke, there was a suprapubic (above the pubic bone) catheter which drained my urine. At 3 days post-op, I was instructed to close the valve leading to it and try to urinate on my own after a couple of hours. I drank lots of water during that time as it seemed to make it easier to urinate on my own when my bladder was really full. The next day before I was discharged, I was leaving very little in my bladder after urination, so they removed the catheter. Some women end up going home with the catheter. In fact my nurse told me that only about 10% get it out before they go home. So don't be concerned if that happens to you. The only minor complication I suffered was a bladder infection at about 3 mo. post-op. It didn't feel the same as they had in the past, so it was 2-3 weeks before I went to the doctor and had it diagnosed. I thought it was pain from my surgery! But after 3 days of antibiotics, it was completely gone and all pain was gone too.

At more than 5 months post-op, I can laugh, sneeze, cough, all with my legs spread wide open! LOL Truth is that now I don't have to worry about making sure my bladder is never full, or wearing maxipads "just in case". I think you'll see it's a great improvement.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register