Waitresses -- When did you go back to work? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waitresses -- When did you go back to work? Waitresses -- When did you go back to work?

Unread 03-21-2002, 05:18 AM
Waitresses -- When did you go back to work?

My castle date is 6 days away, and pretty much have all the medical and recouperating questions (that I can think of) answered, except one...

Wanted to know when other Waitress Princesses went back to work. I know everyone has their own personal experience based on what they had done and why, but I was just looking for a general concensus.

I, too, have been listening to everyone telling me I'll be up and about in anywhere from 5 days (by my husband -- "you'll be at least 80% better), to 6 months and am interested in hearing from other Waitresses, cuz who better to know.

I'm having TAH/WOW ovaries for CINIII/CIS with AGUS (sp?); don't even know if it's spread at this point, so am just assuming all the bad stuff is coming out and that will be that.

Look forward to hearing other Waitresses respond.

Luv Ya!

SueK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2002, 07:16 AM
Read my mind...

I too am a waitress and had the same question...I have only had one surgery (lapo) and I did so well coming out of the anest..I never took any of my pain pills and was back to normal (except the sore tummy) the next day...I am hoping to only have to be off 2 weeks! I only work 3 days a week, so I am hoping not to take too much time off work!
Unread 03-21-2002, 08:39 AM

mjm93

oooohhhh -- that sounds real soon to be going back. i'm sure there are so many princesses who feel great right away, but i thought we were supposed to take it easy despite how we feel.

anyway, when did you have your surgery? what did your doctor say about going back?

i have preop tomorrow and will be grilling the doctor, yet some more, and will ask him generally what to expect with regard to going back to work, and more specifically, waitressing.

i'm not worried about how much time i take off, although i really enjoy working. i'm lucky enough to have retired from the Port Authority (the same one that lost 74 people in the 9/11 tragedy) and realize that life is too short.

thanks for getting back to my post. and do keep me posted with what's happening with you!

luv,

SueK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2002, 11:08 AM
the 6-8 week pampering

Hi, Sue and mjm! Enjoy as much time as you can being pampered after surgery! You must get medical clearance from your dr before going back to work, and for most of us, that wasn't until 6-8 weeks post op. There is so much trauma to the pelvic area during a hyst (cutting ligaments & blood vessels, moving organs around, numerous stitches, etc.) that you must give the healing tissues several weeks without stress in order for them to heal properly. That means no lifting, straining, heavy housework(including vacuuming), or standing on your feet for long periods of time until your dr says you are healed enough. Even then, healing continues for up to 6-12 months. It is major surgery! Waitressing means long hours on your feet, lifting, and stretching--very stressful for tender, healing tummies and likely to cause swelling. Be kind to your body and give it a good chance to heal. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 03-21-2002, 04:25 PM

I am very sure that 2 weeks in not realistic, I have to meet with my doctor on April 2nd and I will talk to him then. From reading other posts, recovery time is different for everyone and it depends on which surgery you have...I am hoping to have a TVH, which seems to be a quicker recovery! Let me know what your doctor says, I am interested to know...
Thanks and good luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register