Who had bowel Involvment? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Who had bowel Involvment? Who had bowel Involvment?

Unread 03-21-2002, 08:16 AM
Who had bowel Involvment?

I have to have a Lap Hyster/BSO for severe endo on April 16th. The doctor said there is a good chance of bowel involvment, and there is always a chance of complications. (ie: needing to go laprotomy and colostomy etc..)

I wanted to know if any of you ladies had a Hyster due to endo, and if you had bowel involvement.

I need to know what to expect since this is turning into such an extensive surgery.

I am hoping there is someone out there like me...who has already gone thru it..

Dancindebz@aol.com

debz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2002, 10:31 AM

Hi Debz!

I did not have bowel involvement, but I wanted to pop in and wish you well in your upcoming surgery!

Hysterectomy with or without bowel repairs has an initial recovery time of 6 - 8 weeks, sometimes longer with bowel repairs - it really does depend on you, and your specific surgery. Lifting restrictions are extremely important, particularly with bowel involvement, from what I have researched.

Best wishes to you! Please know we are here for you!
Unread 03-21-2002, 02:38 PM

Dear Debz,
According to my doc I had "extensive" endo including some wrapped around my lower bowel and a big pocket of it behind the uterus (in what's known as the "pouch of Douglass"). Fortunately the endo had not infiltrated the bowel and he was able to strip it off like a casing. I wondered if that would weaken the bowel but my doc said it wouldn't.
I didn't have any complications other than surgery taking an hour longer than expected to remove all the endo. My recovery has been speedy so far with minimal pain from my lower unit. BMs and peeing presented no problems other than a pinching feeling when finishing a pee but I believe this will disappear in time.

I was kind of surprised at having so much endo because my discomfort was never severe enough to warrant pain pills. My doc said that the amount of endo has little or no relationship to how much pain & suffering it can cause.
My doc is a laparoscopic surgeon with an excellent reputation. He said he'd done over 2000 hysts and was confident he could handle whatever presented itself. I felt I was in good hands.

Hopefully your surgery will proceed uneventfully. Your surgeon seems prepared for complications, and that will minimize surprises. Good luck!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register