Pre Op Hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre Op Hysterectomy Pre Op Hysterectomy

Unread 03-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Pre Op Hysterectomy

Hi, I'm new so any information will be helpful. I will be having my vaginal hysterectomy and removal of my overies on April 22. The doctor will also be taken care of a "Uterine prolapse" and "Rectocele". I had a set of twins and guess the weight has caused everything to fall. Will the recovery on this be longer than a regular hysterectomy ? Also I walk 3 miles everyday and lift a few weights, how long before I'm back to normal. Thanks friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2002, 10:50 AM
Welcome!

Hi, ititl! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site on the Web for comfort and support and info! Glad you found us, and we'll try to answer any questions you have. The extra repair work you have to have done may cause more swelling, but I think the recovery time would still be about the same 6-8 weeks as with a "simple" hyst. Your dr could probably give you more specific predictions in your individual case. You can check out the "search" button at the top of this page to read threads of other women discussing "rectocele" and "prolapse." As for exercise afterwards, you won't be able to walk 3 miles for a few weeks after surgery, but you can start short easy walks the day after your surgery and after a couple weeks slowly lengthen the walks. You shouldn't start strenuous exercise until your dr releases you after your 6 week post op check. Each week gets easier, and after the first couple weeks I think you'll be feeling fairly normal. Just remember no lifting, straining, heavy housework (including vacuuming), or standing on your feet for long periods until you reach that 6 week anniversary. Those things can increase internal swelling and put stress on stitches/healing tissues. Read all you can here at HysterSisters (pull-down menus on the home page, etc.) and we'll see you through this journey. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 03-21-2002, 11:37 AM
Pre Op Hysterectomy

Welcome to Hyster Sisters! It is a great place to find information and support both before and after surgery.

I had a 9 pound baby and I blame her (ha, ha) for the uterine prolapse I had, too. Of course, I never tell her that. When the nurse pushed to get her other shoulder free during birth, I know that is what caused the rectocele.

Something I don't quite understand is your reference to having the uterine prolapse taken care of.

Having a hyst means the uterus will be removed. It does take care of that heavy pressure you may be feeling with your uterus in a fallen position. I am just a little foggy as to the possibility that your dr. was referring to some other type of repair- cystocele( bladder) perhaps? Or that he/she will do repairs to the pelvic floor?

If you can clarify for us, I think we will be able to give the best answers. Also, if you share the reason for your surgery that sometimes helps us give more useful info.

As for the rectocele repair,there might be some added discomfort initially. Some of this depends on your particular repair. My stitches were all inside and were not very much of a problem. Everyone is different. Some have had external stitches as well. Ask your dr. to give you an idea of what your repair will be like.

I do not think the rectocele repair adds to recovery time. However, I did have additional restrictions that went along with it. ( lighter lifting limits which apply for 6 months and no straining, no bearing down, keep stools soft)

Since everyone recovers at a little different speed, I can only give you general guidelines and my own experience.

Resting, a LITTLE walking to keep circulation going and drinking plenty of liquids, plus maybe working the t.v. remote, is all you should do at first. Then, as you listen to your dr and your body, more activity can be added. Everything else will follow . It is important to GRADUALLY get back into activities, first the easier ones, like light dishwashing, then when I was released for ALL activities I started with the harder ones like vacuuming.

I walk 2 miles (out of 3) now at 3 months. I am a little on the slower side. I also started that a little late as I have a dog I take with me and she will sometimes pull. I did not want to be jolted in case that could cause complications. She gets a little unpredictable on a rare occasion.

I hope this is useful. Keep in touch.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register