2 week post op from lapo/hysto...help! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 week post op from lapo/hysto...help! 2 week post op from lapo/hysto...help!

Unread 03-21-2002, 02:20 PM
2 week post op from lapo/hysto...help!

When I had my lapo/hysto procedure two weeks ago and the Dr. discovered a cyst larger than my uterus, two other large cysts, endo, fibroids and one ovary adhered to my uterus, I was told the next day that if I did not plan to have kids, she would recommend a hysterectomy. Took me a few days to get over the shock - been married 20 years (I'm 38) and we decided not to have kids but this news was shocking to me. So, I find hyster sisters, which is a life saver, literally, and I learn a lot on this site. I got a second opinion from my physician, who we both love and trust, and he's kinda "fatherly" towards me and says "Donna, you're a mess" and he agreed with the recommendation.

So today at post op, I of course have a list of 23 questions to ask because of this site (I think I intimidated my gyn......which after reading some posts I've heard of this happening). So today she says I may have an option of having the cysts removed and keeping my uterus. This makes no sense to me, ESPECIALLY since my physician told me this is what I should do and originally, she said the same thing. I have not been wishy washy with her about no kids - it's never been "Hmmm...we're not sure" and she's been my gyn now for over 12 years and every year she asks me the same question - plan on having kids? NOPE.

Sometimes I think they don't realize what kind of decision this is....as in you get the bomb, you digest it, you decide what to do, you get ready to move on and then WHAM. She's not NOT recommending the hysterectomy, she just gave me the "if you want kids, I may be able to".

I don't want this stuff to come back, we all know how much it hurts and how uncomfortable it is - uncomfortable being an understatement at times. If I let her do the other procedure, it's basically the same surgery, same recovery but I leave myself wide open to have another surgery in six months. Just in time when I'll feel pretty good...............she also says she may get in there and have to do the hysterectomy any way. So now I go into surgery NOT KNOWING what will happen in the end...I DON'T THINK SO. At least this is THE little bit of control I would have, making my decision and knowing what to expect.

WOW - any way, I just needed to vent and there are no more understanding women than "my sisters". My husband and I have discussed it again and based on not wanting kids, me not wanting to have more than one major surgery like this, we are electing the full procedure.

Please don't misunderstand - she's an absolutely wonderful gyn and is highly recommended and I wouldn't want anyone else to do the procedure. This has to be done in April............

She was impressed with all the questions compiled out here sisters - thank you so much. I feel much more informed.

See you on the other side!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 12:24 PM

I can sort of understand what you are going thru. I knew I was having a Hyst just not sure of How or what would be removed because my doc thought my uterus was too big for a TVH but the ultrasound showed it wasn`t and there were cysts that doc thought were nothing but. So I signed permission for her to do LAVH but also a TAH\ bso if needed . I was so scared but THANK GOD I was able to have LAVH and kept my ovaries . My uterus was large but it was from endo they didn`t know i had and only one cyst was there and it was removed and so far all is well.
My DH didn`t understand why I was so scared and nervous before either. But he has been great during my recovery.
Good luck Paula
Unread 03-22-2002, 07:42 PM

Donna,

Whew, you've been through a lot in a short time! It's great that you are still so loyal to your gyn, even though she has sort of 'whipped you back and forth' over the hyst decision.

It sounds like you processed the initial shock of all that information, evaluated your options, and made your decision. Even though you have repeatedly told your gyn that you don't plan to have children, maybe she looks at your age (under 40) and wonders if you might have second thoughts. Hard to say.

You can always get another opinion just for additional confirmation, if that would help ease your mind. You can still have your usual gyn do the surgery. You never know, she might feel better about the whole thing knowing that you got another opinion and her original recommendation was confirmed (if that is the outcome).

Let us know what happens next. And feel free to vent here anytime!

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register