Exercise/Fitness Help !! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercise/Fitness Help !! Exercise/Fitness Help !!

Unread 03-22-2002, 07:48 AM
Exercise/Fitness Help !!

I spent alot of time last night reading through the many, many messages. It really did calm me down and I can't thank you enough. Now I have added another worry to my list.... Over the past year I have worked on losing weight, joined a gym and was enjoying the workouts, new friends and especially my tummy size going down. I was overweight and still had a goal of at least 50 more pounds.

After reading some of the messages, it seems this was all a waste of time. After hysters I'm reading that there is tummy swelling and that is expected. However a couple of messages stated that the tummy stays extended. Then I read another one that said after a hyster there is weight gain. I've worked so hard and now with the fear of the unknown surgery and the outlook of all my work going to waste depression is really starting to settle in. My dh could not understand why I was so distraught when I went to bed. He understands the fear of surgery and has been very supportive, but cannot understand why I am so worried about the weight gain. He says I am jumping the gun and should wait and see what happens.

Has anyone had luck continuing to lose weight and the tummy bulge after surgery?

Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Exercise/Fitness Help !!

Hi, Barb -

First, check out the thread on page 2 right now of the post op board "I feel guilty" - a lot of women are talking about feeling good and some losing weight.

I can only share my experiences so far. I'm not quite 3 weeks post op. The swelling has gone down a lot, but is still there, and my muscles aren't, of course, back where they were yet (that was what was holding that tummy in before!) I lost about 4 or 5 lbs just before going in to surgery (there is one good side effect of that bowel prep day), but was disappointed that my weight was back up when I got home. It may have been fluids, though, since the iv pumps a lot in. Also, hospital food's not low calorie or low fat! Since getting home, I've been watching what I eat, and have lost back that preop weight plus another pound today. I'm making sure to take vitamins, but haven't started to exercise again.

I absolutely understand where you're coming from. I have been overweight my whole life, finally lost 64 lbs almost 2 years ago with exercise, eating right, and not making any foods "forbidden" (for me, that makes me CRAVE it!). Having kept that weight off (and needing to lose another 10-15 lbs), I too was terrified about what the surgery and HRT would do.

Hang in there, and don't go crazy pampering yourself with lots of high calorie/high fat food right after surgery. Realize you won't be able to exercise for awhile, so adjust your calorie intake accordingly. Before you know it, you'll be able to get back to those refreshing workouts with your new friends.

As for the HRT, I'm on 2 mg Estradiol a day, and so far, no problems with weight gain.
Unread 03-22-2002, 08:12 AM
Hi Barb

Congradulations on all the work you have done to support your health and fitness.
Please do not feel that this has been for nothing. You will take that extra fitness into surgery with you and it will help you with your recovery.
We all have different experiences with the surgery and recovery and regaining or improving our shapes afterwards. There is lot's of loving support here.
If you haven't already done so, please visit the Hysteritaville forum.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...hp?forumid=112
Lot's of great support, chat, diet and exercise tips and even recipes! Lot's of women are doing just great in reclaiming their figures.
I came back from the hospital 10 pounds lighter and it has stayed off. The swelly belly is getting better all the time too
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 08:30 AM
Exercise/Fitness Help !!

This is a link to the post Alisa is referring to
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=54946

Also check this one out at the Hysteritaville Safari Resort and Fitness Center (B.E.S.T.):
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...hp?forumid=156

I'm 6 weeks post and have lost about 8 pounds. It's now time to start exercising!

Good luck and think only positive thoughts about your surgery and recovery!
Unread 03-22-2002, 12:15 PM
Exercise/Fitness Help !!

Also go to the scroll down menu for LIW there are excercises that you can start when you are ready after your Hyst. I haven`t gained any Yet but I do catch myself eating coz I can`t clean not coz I am hungry. I am almost 4 weeks post-op and wore my old jeans today ( they were my biggest pair but i was able to wear them without any pressure on my belly)
If you have the strength to lose as you have you will continue to do well . Good luck Paula
Unread 03-22-2002, 01:27 PM
Exercise/Fitness Help !!

Here's another link to weight loss stories for you, Barb:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=53266

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register