LIWs -- visualization works! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LIWs -- visualization works! LIWs -- visualization works!

Unread 03-22-2002, 09:50 AM
LIWs -- visualization works!

A week before my LAVH, I visualized the whole procedure, including delivering the uterus through the vagina and creating a vaginal cuff. I visualized it all going smoothly and well, and painlessly, with a quick recovery. That really calmed me down; I'd been a stress-wreck for weeks.

At my 1-week post-op yesterday, my doc told me that the surgery went better than she'd expected. She said my uterus had actually dropped lower, and that she was able to deliver it through the vagina easily, which is unusual in women who've never had kids. And sure enough, I haven't been sore "down there", even the day of surgery. She said my body was really ready for the uterus to go.

I was floored, and so pleased! My doc also told me the nurses had been so impressed with my recovery that they felt I could have gone home that night! Of course I don't know how it would have gone without visualization, but I believe it helped prep my body for what was coming. Now I'm 9 days post-op and almost weaned from pain-pills (still taking ibuprofen). I feel good. I'll feel even better when I get rid of this pesky cold.

Anyway, I just wanted to suggest visualization as a means of calming yourself down and preparing your body. It did me more good than I even realized at the time.

Good luck to all of you! May you astound the castle staff with how well you do!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 07:09 PM

Melissa,
What a great post! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I listened to a surgery meditation CD the day before and morning of my surgery. It was very calming and I liked the images you were instructed to focus on (guardian angels hovering around you during surgery, making sure everything goes well). The CD also had you visualize the doctors and nurses commenting on how well things were going during surgery. Good images to have in your mind before surgery!

After surgery, my gyn told my DH that my blood loss was very minimal and that things went beautifully. Like you, I really believe that those mental images helped me during surgery. Now if I could just remember the name of that CD ... I borrowed it from a pastor at my church.

Hope your recovery continues to go well. It sounds like you are doing great.

Beth
Unread 03-23-2002, 04:39 AM

That's great to hear about your experiences with visualization. I am doing a meditation/visualization program, and it is very calming. I was told that this would help with quicker recovery, less bleeding and less pain.

I'll let you know how I did after my surgery on 4/3!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 08:38 AM
Yes, it works

I too used meditation and guided imagery tapes. The meditation tapes really calmed me down and helped me make peace with what I was going through. I was able to go into surgery very, very calm and with a totally normal blood pressure.
I used the guided imagery tapes to visualize successful surgery and recovery. It worked.
My surgery went very well. My recovery has been remarkable as far as I am concerned. I had very little discomfort. Soreness yes. But only took one pain pill after I got home from the hospital. Starting driving a little on day 10, 12.
Today I am 4 weeks Post-Op. Feeling real good, pretty good energy, only sleeping 6-7 hours a night and my scar has almost disappeared.
Glad to hear others have used these methods successfully too.
Unread 03-23-2002, 09:45 AM
It worked for me too!

I found meditation and visualization very effective for me too. I didn't use any tapes pre-op but I did spend time picturing a successful and smooth surgery and recovery. I also volunteered pre-op to be part of a study (the hospital I went to is a teaching hospital) involving guided meditation, stress reduction techniques and music in regards to pain control after abdominal surgery. I listened to a tape that the study provided which was a combination of the above, and had to periodically rate my pain level and distress. I fell asleep with the tape on the first night after surgery and the nurses said I hardly hit the morphine button at all! Since I've been home, I haven't had to take any pain meds except OTC Motrin. And believe it or not, I'm a BIG baby when it comes to pain, and that was my greatest fear about the surgery.

So far I've been quite pleased with how smooth my recovery has been, and I do feel that the visualization and the study that I participated in has made a contribution to it.

Here's to happy and healthy recoveries for us all!

Your Hyster Sister,

Chris

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register