My story | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-22-2002, 10:17 AM
My story

Hi Ladies!

Have taken my percocette and I'm ready to write my novel! here goes;

Arrived at the castle at 9:30am,signed some more papers ,got my blood typed and crossed,got my IV, answered 1,00,000 questions and kissed my dh and parents good bye (not good bye, just see ya later kisses, I was told!)

Wheeled in to or about 10:50 and said hi to everyone in there...good friend of my mom's was a surg tech in the or, so that helped! chatted with DR and anestheiologist guy for a few minutes and thats all I remember about that part. Don't remember anything about recovery, just waking up in my room.

Woke up in my semi private room around 1:30 to see my dh and parents..They hooked me up to my morphine pump and it went downhill from there... First I ran out of morphine and whoever was in my room (obviousley not a nurse) went to get a nurse...30 minutes later the girl comes back and my husband tells her that I still don't have any morphine and I'm in a lot of pain...she says oh. I'll go get someone...another 30 minutes later, I'm feeling even worse so dh goes into the hallway and yells "can someone please get my wife some ^^%^&*^&^% morphine!!!!" That does the trick because 30 seconds later I get my morphine. Thank goodness!!

They then bring me some wonderful jello and delicious chicken broth that I proceed to puke up all over myself! Dh helps get me changed and and cleaned up...they then bring me more jello...that I once again puke up...This time my honey sees the signs and proceeds to hold the trash can for me!! (My knight in shining armor!)

They then tell me my private room is ready! Cool! So by this time its around 6:00...my parents go home and honey and I settle down in my wonderfully private room..Now it's supper time and I get the wonderful jello again and some tasty beef broth...yes...you guessed it...honey has the trash can ready again! By this time i have a thought...hmmmm, I tell the nurse..I do believe i'm allergic to morphine!! Probably so, but we can't take you off of this until I ok it w/ your dr. So anyway I quit pushing the morphine button and my loving husband goes to the cafeteria and brings me some chips and oreo's (I do love that man!) And since I have not used the morphine, I am able to keep it down!!

Next morning at 8:00 they bring me my breakfast of...you guessed it...jello and broth..About this time dr. comes in...we take the morphine pump off and I get regular drugs I also said to him..I don't mean to be demanding but can you pleeeeaaasssee take out the catheter..he does and I feel so much better! I also said to him I don't mean to be a pain in the bytt, but can I have some real food? AM I ready for it? OOOOHHH yes! and wallah.....I get bacon, eggs, toast, oatmeal....And it tasted sooooo good!!!

Anyway I finish breakfast, dh leaves to go to work for a few hours and I get up to take a shower...I stood up to walk and felt like I had been run over by a mac truck!! After my shower and walking, I started to feel somewhat better....that night and the next day was pretty much uneventful and Thursday morning when the dr. asked if I was ready to go home I said "hell Yes!!"

I felt so much better just being home! I had alot of gas pains yesterday but it has much improved today and although I'm still somewhat sore I feel pretty good! I take my pain pills pretty regular, I rest,walk,rest,drink, rest and rest some more and while I feel I could do more than what I am...I am taking it easy so as not to hurt myself...I DO NOT want a repeat trip to the castle!

To all the Ladies in Waiting...I'm sure you have heard it a million times but waiting is the hardest part...I put up a brave front to everyone but inside i was really scared and now that it's over, I realize it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be!Just take it easy and don't be afraid to ask for help doing things...before you know it you'll be home and feeling better!

While I'm sore from the surgery, I don't feel any of the pain I used to feel 24/7 from all of my problems...If that makes any sense...so I am on the road to a better life that I know is out there! Sorry this is so long...my pain pills tend to make me ramble.....I hoped this has helped a few of you LIW....just think " If Gina can do it, then I know I can!"

Gina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 11:13 AM
My story

Gina..

As LIW who is headed to the castle in six days.... I can only say congratulations and thanks. Yes, I am getting nervous. But, if you can write your story three days after surgery, then it probably is not as bad as I think!

Thanks and take care of yourself!

Unread 03-22-2002, 01:04 PM
My story

I'm just wondering... is your dh available on April 16th? I don't have a dh and since you have him so well trained, maybe he'd be willing to hold that trash can for me too??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 02:13 PM
My story

I hear you Melsevene! I have no DH or family... Hey Gina it might be very lucrative to rent your hubby out to those without! LOL
Unread 03-22-2002, 02:44 PM
My story

Gina.. oh those percocets are wonderful, aren't they?

Glad you are feeling pretty good. Drink, walk and rest. Thanks for sharing your story with everyone.
Unread 03-22-2002, 04:12 PM
WOW Gina

Sounds like you went through alot and are sooooo brave to say it wasn't so bad. You have really earned your status.
I was so lucky the morphine pump liked me and I liked it. No problems. But yes, when I did ask a nurse for someting they always disappeared for 30 minutes. What's up with that!?!
Maybe the secret to a blissful recovery is Oreo's!
Glad you are home and doing well.
remember and eazzzzzzy does it!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register