I need direction and help | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need direction and help I need direction and help

Unread 03-22-2002, 10:28 AM
I need direction and help

I am a LIW with a surgery date of 3/28....six more days! Can someone direct me to where the "what to take to the hospital" list is? And another question... and don't laugh. I am worried about be able to get off of the toilet seat. There is nothing to grab on to in my bathroom. Is this silly? Or, does anyone have any ideas? I am so !!!!

Sleepless and living alone in CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 10:47 AM

Check the pull down menu under ladies in waiting - Carol's Hospital List. It was very helpful for me! Funny you should mention the toilet problem. My mother and I were also trying to come up with an idea. Her suggestion was to leave a walker or walking cane in the bathroom, close at hand. I'm in the same boat as you are - nothing very close to grab on too. Maybe someone else will have a better idea. Good Luck to you!
Unread 03-22-2002, 10:48 AM

Hi, Shelley -

Was writing about the pull down menus but Wrenne beat me to it. Her idea is great!!

No one's laughing - we've all been there, remember? Others may have their own thoughts - I didn't have much trouble, but for a few days, I stuck one hand on the toilet seat to help push, and the other over my incision as I was getting up.. I just took it slowly and carefully. Some women have found a riser helps. Another thought - is there room to stick a chair next to the toilet to help you get up?

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions. You'll do fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 10:49 AM

Is your sink near your toilet? I have'nt had my surgery yet but when I had my c sections I used the sink to brace myself.
Unread 03-22-2002, 10:49 AM

Hi Shelly....

Here's the link: http://www.hystersisters.com/list.php

There's ALOT of stuff on that list that you don't need. Toonces has a great list somewhere, I'll see if I can find it!

Most important items: chapstick, hairbrush, slip-on slippers, tummy pillow, extra pillows, light robe, nice-smelling body lotion and baby powder, moisturizer.

Candy for the nurses is nice. I also brought a light lavender scented room spray...I HATE the hospital smell.

Don't overpack...you'll be in and out before you know it! Anything you forget, someone can bring you....so don't worry too much.

Karen
Unread 03-22-2002, 10:55 AM

I had an idea about the toilet. First, Remember to take it slow standing up. If there is a hospital suply shop in your area most of them will let you rent equeptment by the week. They have prorta poddies that fit over a regular toilet. Maybe this will help.
Please fell free to ask any questions!! There is no such thing as a silly or stupitd question.
Angela/ AngRed1
CHAT AKA: Fleyitch71
Unread 03-22-2002, 10:59 AM

Here is the link to the list, but it's really WAY more than you will need or want. Instead of the list of things on the home page I compiled my own list from suggestions from other replies while I was preop. You will probably only be there for a couple of nights anyway.

Shampoo, cream rinse, moisturizer
Toothbrush and toothpaste
A hairbrush
Slippers
Change of clothes that were extra large.
Chapstick and Blistex (both in moisturizing formulas) Make sure that your chapstick has no petroleum in it as it will react with oxygen should you need it.
Don’t bother with books, etc. You won’t feel like reading and it’s just something you’ll have to carry home.
I also didn't take my own nightie since I knew the IV and Catheter would be in for the first 24 hours.

http://www.hystersisters.com/list.php
Unread 03-25-2002, 08:20 AM

Thanks to all of you for your great ideas. I think that I will put a chair in the bathroom to help me rise from the toilet. Also, I am glad to find out that I should only take a minimal amount of things with me to the hospital.

Anyone just wear a nightie and robe home?? It sounds easier than pulling on sweats. I will be coming home in a cab, I thought that I could just hop into bed and since it is a 40 minute ride I am bound to be tired.

Please keep your fingers crossed. I am either experiencing severe allergies or have a bad cold. I really don't want to have to cancel this surgeries. The waiting is awful and I am so close.

Three days and counting!
Unread 03-25-2002, 08:54 AM

Hi, Shelly -

My thought is to wear what you'll be comfy in. I wore the same sweat pants and t shirt I wore to the hospital, but I know I've read several women say they just wore their nightie and robe home. See what you feel like then. Fingers and toes crossed for you ;-).

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register