HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

My Incision had busted open and leaking oozy stuff My Incision had busted open and leaking oozy stuff

Unread 03-22-2002, 12:08 PM
My Incision had busted open and leaking oozy stuff

Sisters,
I had a mild panic attack yesterday. One my first post here i mentioned having run a fever and my inscion being red. Well yesterday I wokd up to it looking really wierd. Then around 2pm it started running drainage.. It was awful it wouldnt stop!!!! And i mean it was alot......it was blood and pus and believe me it didnt smell really nice either. So i called my dr which is 4 hours away from where i live...and i have an appiontment to see him on Monday. Has anyone else expericenced this? It scared me to death. It was like how a boil heads then busts.. well now there is a hole about this size of a pea in my incision but my inscison is swelled up under it like its ready to do it again.. IM really worried.. Anyone have any ideas.. Im on keflex...I need some advice and comfort here sisters...Please reply asap. Please contiune to for me and my poor ole
Unread 03-22-2002, 12:21 PM

Hi there!

I'm so sorry to hear about your incision troubles! It's a big relief to know that you will be seeing your DR on Monday; until then please be very careful and keep the site very clean - sounds like a nasty infection.

When you see the DR, bring a list of things you want to discuss so that you will not forget, such as questions on how (specifically) to care for your incision to help prevent this from happening again or getting worse, what exactly you should and should not be doing and for how long during your recovery.

Take it easy, sweetie - hope you feel better very soon!

(((((((((HUGS))))))))
Unread 03-22-2002, 12:29 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about that! I had some incision trouble, too, but nothing that bad. I'm glad you're on Keflex, but I feel you should phone your Dr. about the current situation. Call his exchange if he's not in the office and speak to the Dr. who's taking his calls. If you can't reach him, do you have a hospital emergency room closer by that can see you? You do not want an infection like this to get out of control.

Know you are in my prayers, and I'm sending you major s Please keep us posted.

My very best to you...
Unread 03-22-2002, 03:54 PM

As an ER nurse I have to agree, call your Dr. NOW!!! Don't let this go until Monday. If you can't get in touch with your Dr. go to the ER. Sounds like you could have an infection.

Caren
Unread 03-22-2002, 06:01 PM
I also had an infection

Hi,
I can idenify with you as I had an incisional infection.I noticed it about the 2nd week but it came on differently. Below my incision I was swollen and I thought I had a hernia. I went to the ER as it was the weekend and my DR was off. In the ER I was told it was a possible abdominal hernia and he tried to get through to my DR to no avail. He said if things got worse to come back in and they would call an alternate surgeon, and by all means to see my DR on Monday. I saw my Dr that Monday and she didnt think it was a hernia. She said she thought it was an infection and put me on keflex also. As soon as I started on the keflex it started to drain. She told me to do warm/ hot soaks 3x day and scheduled me to see her the following week. I did not take any baths as I was afraid of the bacteria so I got myself a hot water bottle and filled it and put a warm face cloth over it and soaked the incision where it was draining 3x day for 5 weeks. I also covered it after the soak and the peroxide I was told to put on it. Sometimes there was quite a bit of drainage , sometimes almost nothing. I was fearful of having to be opened up again and have it packed daily by a visiting nurse. I took VERY good care of it. I am now almost 8 weeks post op and it is history thank God !!! I wish you well and know what you are going through. Call you're DR now !! You are in my prayers.
Unread 03-22-2002, 06:17 PM
Oh no!! :(

's to you Sister! That sounds horrible. I would not wait for Monday! Listen to the good advice you have gotten here and go to an ER close by! I am 2 weeks post op as of yesterday and my incision really looks good, but if it was like yours I would not waste a minute getting to a doctor!

Please keep us updated. I am going to be worried about you until I hear.

A for you,
Bev
Unread 03-22-2002, 07:51 PM
Thank you all

I knew I could count on my sisters to help me and comfort me.. Im trying to talk hubby into taking me to dr. leaving here saturday night and going to the er there... Thats all I know to do..I love ya all.. If anyone has msn or yahoo and would like to chat one on one let me know...I love new friend especially ones i have something in common with.. I cant thank you enough.. Love you all
Unread 03-22-2002, 09:47 PM

hi, I hate to hear you are having this problem.. I had a cyst removed about 6 years ago. the incision did not heal and did get infected.. mine did not break open but I started feeling wierd not myself and running fever.. also the area around incision was red and spread down along my belly. anyway went to hospital and they opened the incision to find puss and blood kind of like you described..(I am not telling you this to scare you) the doc opened it and let the infection out gave me antibiotics and within 24 hours I felt perfect.. I did have to deal with open incision but it wasn't deep and it was nothing compared to infection. what I guess I'm trying to say is if you start getting worse make sure you call doc right away. you say you are on keflex, that may help but its good you are seeing your doctor.

Unread 03-23-2002, 09:42 PM

I am new to here. I too had oozing. I went to the hospital and they said it was nothing to worry about. I came home and not even an hour later I was calling an ambulance. I couldn't believe the amount of blood. Well 6 hours later he told me I had hemmorraged below the incision and it found a weak spot. Nothing at all to worry about, I would leak for a week or two. Ofcourse this came from a male doctor. I am now 8 weeks post op and I feel horrible, tired, pain. Sometimes I think I was better off before. I had endometriosis, they just took the uterus. Hang in there, a year from now we will look back and laugh, not only because it doesn't hurt anymore to do so !!!
Michelle
Unread 03-23-2002, 09:53 PM
drainage from incision

I am 1 week post op and having the same problem with my incision. I went to my doctor yesterday and he said that it is normal and just prescribed antibiotics.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.