pre-pre-pre-op | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-pre-pre-op pre-pre-pre-op

Unread 03-22-2002, 12:01 PM
pre-pre-pre-op

So I go to my doctor's office (not my usual GP, but another in the group) because I had this sort of benign rash thing going on and since I want NO surprises now that I am within the week-and-a-half before my surgery, thought I ougta at least check it out. It was nothing. BUT my blood pressure is elevated. Great. Wonder what it is NOW!. So now I have to go see my usual GP next week, the day before my pre-op, to touch base with her on this issue. Today's doctor did not seem too concerned as the ob/gyn will be able to deal with it at pre-op, too. But still...what next. Plus all the guys I work with are waiting until the last possible minute to load all their last minute stuff on me. Next week is gonna be hell!!!!

Question, what might they do for blood pressure at 150/100 (140/90 is not terribly abnormal for me given stressful circumstances)?

I hate getting old sometimes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 12:07 PM
pre-pre-pre-op

If it is still elevated at next ofice visit they might have you monitor it daily. Try to relax(ha ha) it might not be elevated at you next doc appt and since you have had high BP before from stress your regular doc may not be concerned about it.
Good luck Paula
Unread 03-22-2002, 04:47 PM
pre-pre-pre-op

Hi .I am 4 days post op from having a TVH/BSO and am feeling really good. I do have high blood pressure and an abnormal fast heart rate which has been treated with meds. I went through the surgery great. For my pre op visit I had to do an EKG and during surgery , I was connected to a machine that would monitor my heart along with all the vital signs. I stayed on my meds until surgery but then went off for a couple of days due to the meds I received at the hospital.( dr's orders) Any way , what I am trying to say is that you will be closely monitored and will be told what to do if you would need to start meds.
Just be sure to ask questions and tell your doctor any concerns you have. The waiting is the worse part , I can honestly say that now !!!
Best Wishes to you !!!
Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 07:20 PM
pre-pre-pre-op

Hi Caroline

I can tell that this problem with high blood pressure is really adding to your stress level and probably exacerbating the problem!

Take a deep breath. Terri has given you some good advice. People with high blood pressure go through surgery all the time and survive quite well. The key is having docs that know you (potentially) have a problem with this and will monitor it faithfully. Hang in there. You'll get some more answers at your pre-op appointment when you talk to your gyn. In the meantime, we're here for you.

Beth
Unread 03-23-2002, 04:56 AM
Blood Pressure

Here's what went on with me. Mine was elevated. I went in about a week and a day ahead of surgery for the pre-op with my regular doctor. He had me then come in every day until day of surgery and gave me blood pressure meds to drop it into a normal level--gave me a heavier dose but it did the trick. Luckily job was unionized and boss pretty liberal on this or I'd have been in trouble! They can control it quickly if they have to or else if it is too high and this is not considered an urgency (with mine they were looking for cancer) they may postpone.
Unread 03-23-2002, 05:38 AM
Stress!

Dear Caroline,

I'm so sorry you're feeling so stressed - which is probably why you have high blood pressure.

I agree - take a deep breath and keep monitoring it. I have never had high blood pressure and I went for my post op from a procedure I had two weeks ago and it was up pretty high - I was asked if I was stressed and I had a pretty stressful time at work and I'm all uptight about what's about to happen to me as well.

If your work is stressing you out, see if you can leave a little early each day. Your health is more important and if your "guys" want to wait until the last minute, that's their problem. I work with very understanding ladies who offer to help me all the time, can you divy out some of your extra work to relieve some of the pressure? You'd be amazed sometimes at how women can pull together when another is experiencing fear or anxiety about something so important as what you're looking at.

Come out here and vent, vent, vent - it will help you. Even if you get one reply or no replies, it just helps to spill your guts!

Can you plan a day to pamper yourself - it will help you relax. Maybe a facial, pedicure or just treat yourself to a hair hi-lighting or something. Do something for yourself and be selfish right now!

Please try to relax and take it easy. We're all here for you to give support.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register