17 days and Counting | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

17 days and Counting 17 days and Counting

Unread 03-22-2002, 05:59 PM
17 days and Counting

In 17 days, I will be going under the knife (as my wonderful family says). I know I will feel so much better when it is all over, but the waiting is driving me nuts! I've had this planned since January. Had to wait for a variety of reasons. Now that the time is getting near, the nerves are beginning to kick in. I have NEVER had major surgery. I've had a tubal and carpel tunnel, d&C and lap... BUT they are going to cut me open and I'm scared!!!!!

What is really weird is that I feel so nervous about being away from home. You see I worked at a Hospital for 22 years. My surgery is going to be at a different Hospital where I won't know anyone. That scares me.

Part of my problem right know is I've started what will be my last period. Can we say YIPPEE???!!! I don't know why, but the thought of this being the last time I'll have a period is buggin' me.

I must admit that reading all the postings and actually writing down my fears is beginning to help. I am so glad someone 'turned me on' to this web site. It is great!
Thanks for 'listening'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 06:24 PM
17 days and Counting

Hi, MoJo -

It really isn't weird, the way you're feeling. It's all very very normal! All the unknowns, like not knowing anyone, get to you - it IS scary! You've probably read on this web site that the waiting is the worst part, and it sure was for me.

I can tell you that my experience was that almost everyone at the hospital was very friendly. Am hoping my next surgery that I'll probably have in the next few weeks is as good (different hospital).

Having a wonderful family is a big big plus!

Keep reading, ask questions, do some fun things if you can, and hang in there - you'll do fine!!
Unread 03-22-2002, 06:55 PM
17 days and Counting

Hi MoJo,
So glad you found us!

Having worked in a hospital, you actually know a lot more than many of us did before we visited the castle! I felt a little bit like a visitor from a foreign country while I was there. Sort of like I just didn't know the rules or the "special" language. Or maybe that was the pain-killers making me feel like an alien ??

The waiting is nerve wracking, as you'll hear from a lot of us on this site. Writing out my fears was a help for me too, both here at hystersisters and in a journal. Just getting the feelings out helped. Luckily my DH was willing to listen to all my fears too. For days before surgery, it was the only thing on my mind. I just could not think of anything else.

Soooo... what you describe sounds very normal to me. I wish I could share the special secret that would end your worrying, but I don't know of any special trick other than just working your way through it. We'll be here for you, every step of the way. You are stronger than you think, I guarantee it! Hang in there MoJo!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 09:44 PM
17 days and Counting

MoJo,you're not strange..I,too,worked in hospitals for years,plus,I'm married to a surgeon..I didn't have any fears whatsoever about a lot of the things the women here posted..anesthesia,pain,IV's,not waking up,etc.. I felt strange for not having the fears!!

But what WAS strange for me,was the fact we have only been here,in this hospital, for 6 months..I knew absolutely no one at our hospital either..not one nurse,not one aide,not ANYbody..

at our previous hospital,well, my husband had been there for 14 years..I knew everyone..the operators,cleaning staff,the volunteers..everyone..it was a very isolating/foreign type feeling during my stay in this hospital..they were nice and all,but I just did not feel at home..

you're not wierd,hun,it's vey comforting to have familiar faces around you,especially during a surgery..come see us in the chat room,till your surgery date..we can get fairly silly at times,it'll make ya smile

Cynthia
Unread 03-24-2002, 12:43 AM
17 days and Counting

i too will be having my hysterectomy very soon.... april 8th and for the past month have managed to keep busy enough to avoid really stressing and worrying about it. since it;s just over 2 weeks away i am trying to read all i can again and just tonight i happened upon ths WONDERFUL website. how i wish i had found this sooner but have been reading now for hours and feel better already!!
everyone i meet that has had one tells me i wont regret it for a moment and will feel so much better. yet it also helps to read and know it isnt quite so simplistic as all that!
thank you all for being here!!!
janice
Unread 03-24-2002, 05:45 AM
17 days and Counting

MJ,

I, too, worked at a hospital for 20 years and my surgery is being done somewhere else!

My GYN dr was someone I used to work with and he has been my doctor for years (delivered my babies!), and he is at another hospital now. One of the nurses I worked with is a PACU nurse, and she is arriving at the hospital on the day of my surgery to see me off into the O.R. and stay with my husband until I'm in the PACU, where she intends to check me out!! I feel pretty good that I'm being "looked after"! I was getting a little nervous that my hospital "support system" would not be around. Maybe your friends from the hospital you worked at will be around you too during this time.

I had to laugh about what Beth said about being in the hospital was like being in a foreign country not knowing the rules or the language! LOL That is one advantage that those of us who have worked in a hospital environment do have! (I think!!!)

Anyway, hang in there.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register