I'ts been 11 days since surgery... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'ts been 11 days since surgery... I'ts been 11 days since surgery...

Unread 03-22-2002, 07:08 PM
I'ts been 11 days since surgery...

Hey, everyone! I had my abdominal BSO 11 days ago. My computer has been down, so I am just now getting to write. Everything is going okay, just still sore. I was wondering if anyone has had any throuble sleeping after surgery? I have a terrible case of insomnia. My dh, a pharmaceutical sales rep, got some samples of Ambian for me to take, and it doesn't even work. I used to sleep all the time, with no help. I don't know what is going on now. I'm 30, and the Climara patches (I'm wearing 2) seem to be working ok. What's up with the insomnia? Any suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2002, 07:13 PM

Susan,
You sound great, except for the insomnia! Unfortunately, this seems to be pretty common after your ovaries have been removed. Are you taking any HRT? I suggest you call your gyn and explain about your problems with insomnia. He/she might be able to suggest something.

I had trouble sleeping after my TAH/BSO and did not take any estrogen for the first 12 weeks post op. The night sweats woke me up several times a night for awhile, so I started taking Tylenol PM. My gyn said that was fine. That isn't as strong as Ambien though, so you really should talk to your gyn. Insomnia is no fun. I sure hope you can get some answers ... and some more sleep!

Beth
Unread 03-22-2002, 08:11 PM

I found a compromise to insomnia: sleep when you can. The Premarin stopped the night sweats so I could sleep, but now all the water I'm drinking decides to go home at 3am and I'm up the rest of the night (morning?). I compensate with naps in the afternoon before DH comes home. Some nights, I just stay in bed with my eyes closed. Rest is rest. It's getting better though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 05:26 AM

I have not had my surgery yet, so I can't say what the effects of loosing my ovaries will be, but I can tell you that after any type of anesthesia I have horrible insommnia for as long as a couple of weeks depending on how long I was under. Since you are already on th climera patch, maybe you are just still having the effects of some of the anesthesia.

Caren

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register