Fears............ | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fears............ Fears............

Unread 03-23-2002, 05:25 AM
Fears............

Good morning!

I was able to get a copy of my operative report and read through it a few times. I've also spoken to several women who have had similar medical problems as we do and I've been told that if you have endo, sometimes it's so microscopic (even my gyn said this) you can't get it all. I understand she wants me to be sure we don't want children, we have full lives with nieces/nephews and our beautiful THREE golden retrievers!

I have decided to go the "final" route, my first decision before she told me "we could try this and we could try this and this". I want ONE surgery and since the uterus is basically just for carrying a child and we don't want to have children, I feel I should just get rid of the entire problem. She believes I have one good ovary that can stay but after reading the report, it says "both ovaries were encased in adhesions behind the uterus; adhesions and scarring secondary to endometriosis, right ovary enlarged, visibly normal but again adherent to the side wall and the posterior of the uterus" so we'll see once she gets in there.

The fears I refer to is that I'M TERRIFIED of having more than one surgery like this, which is why I just want to get it done. The lapo/hysto I had done three weeks ago really laid me up and it HURT like heck! I'm still sore sometimes! I don't want to have the "maybe we can" surgery - which is basically the same as they hysterectomy - same incision, same recovery, etc - and then six months - 1 year later be told, oh - - - guess we should have done the hysterectomy.......my sister-in-law went through FOUR surgeries, true she wanted children but just the other night she told me she wishes she had never done that. I also DO NOT want to go on Lupron for six months if she tries the other "suggestions".

It's so helpful and such a relief to be able to come out here and share your biggest fears with other women experiencing the same feelings. I have a wonderful husband but he's not a woman and also has never had an surgical procedure....he was hoping her other suggestions would be better than the hysterectomy but it just doesn't make sense to me for me to have an "almost" hysterectomy, be out of work for 6-8 weeks and then the chances of me having to go back in for "clean up" or more serious surgery is very high.

I say go through the pain and recovery once if you can - don't you think so? I don't even want to do that lapo thing again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 06:03 AM
Fears............

!!!

It's so hard to figure all this stuff out! I think you've pretty much made your decision about the hyster, but perhaps you want to discuss the ovaries with your doctor again. If one or both look healthy, you may want to leave it (them). It's so hard to think of facing additional surgery, but the benefits of keeping an ovary, especially with a diagnosis of endo, would probably outweigh that possibility.

Some doctors won't prescribe HRT or will hold off for endo patients...if you can avoid surgical menopause by keeping a functioning ovary, it might be the way to go.

Do some reading here on Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives, and then have a heart to heart with your doctor. I'm sure she can help you interpret the op report and reach a better understanding of what's ahead. Then you can make a good decision based on the facts and your own instincts.

Please let us know how you are doing!!! We're all here to help.

s

Karen
Unread 03-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Hi Donna

Here's another

It sounds to me like perhaps you have made your decision and are just looking for support to do it all and not have to worry about another surgery. If that is the case you have my full support.

I know for me with the Endometrial Cancer I did not try to save anything. I don't even know if I had a choice but I did know I DID NOT want to go through this twice.

Please continue to gather all the information you need from this site to make your final decision. It is a big one.

We're here for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 10:30 AM
Fears............

Hi, Donna -

Good advice from the other answers, and I agree, it sounds like you've pretty much decided what you want to do. Get information, ask questions of the doctors, get a 2nd or 3rd opinion if that'll help.

But the other reason I wrote on this thread is to send hugs to your 3 golden babies :-). I miss mine SO much (we had to euthanize him rather suddenly last June at the age of 9 1/2 when he had gastric dilation). We'll probably get another golden next year, after both my husband's and my medical challenges are hopefully behind us. They're just the best!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register