A poopey question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A poopey question A poopey question

Unread 03-23-2002, 06:09 AM
A poopey question

Good morning Ladies,
I had my pre op yesterday and my Dr. said she isnt going to give me an enema or laxitive etc. My question is... since I have had problems going, because of the size of my uterus should i do an enema or something anyway? I can just imagine (gross!) what it may be like after there is no pressure or blockage and I have also heard that the first time you do poop is pretty uncomfortable.
Sorry for the weirdness of the question. Hope somone else has "Been there, done that" and can point me in the right direction!
Thanks,
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 06:29 AM
prep prior to hyster

Hi there Nancy

I would like to send you and best wishes on your up coming surgery.

As for your question. I feel it would be best to call your Dr. Express your concerns and find out what she feels to be "ok" before surgery. You Dr may not have any issues with you chosing to do any prep for bowels. I would make sure first and see what she thinks is safe.

There are things you can do to help with out preping a bowel. You can eat light & high fiber foods for a few days before. What ever you do, make sure you Dr has been consulted first

Take care and keep us posted on how you are

Michele
Unread 03-23-2002, 07:14 AM
A poopey question

My dr. did not prescribe any enema's etc. either. I was already on stool softeners due to constipation from iron pills. So, I just stayed on the stool soft and ate light the day before. That really seemed to help. You may need to stay on softeners PO also - my dr. did prescribe that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2002, 08:41 AM
A poopey question

I was very surprised when my doc told me I did not have to do bowel prep either. I thought for sure I would. I had my surgery on a Wed. and the following Monday when I was home, I had my first bowel movement. It was a bit painful, but after that day, all went fairly well. I have irritable bowel syndrome so I was apprehensive about all of this. No big deal, though. When I asked my doc why I did not have to do the bowel prep, he just said, "We don't do that anymore." I never asked why. Duh! I was not in a really good state of health or mind to pursue it at the time. I was just glad I didn't have to. Maybe you will find out and let us all know. Good luck!
Unread 03-23-2002, 09:19 AM
No such thing as a silly question here!

Hi there Nancy!

My doctor didn't have me do any bowel prep pre-op. I know some women have post-op problems with urination and defecation, but to be honest, I didn't have ANY difficulty, pain or discomfort with either after the surgery. It did take a couple days post hyst for the 'poop machinery' to re-start, but once it did everything worked smoothly, so to speak! Strange, but I actually had more problems with defecation pre-hyst than I have had post-hyst...I'm not really sure why that is though.

A and a

Your Hyster Sister,

Chris
Unread 03-23-2002, 02:59 PM
A poopey question

Hi . I also did not have to do any bowel prep. I was already on stool softeners prior to surgery and told my gyn. Then while at the hospital , I also told the nurses, and they checked for me and my gyn prescribed something for me while I was there also. As soon as I got home , I started my regular stool meds and ate things that I knew would help me get going. My first bm was not bad at all , thank goodness. I have major problems with hemmoroids(sp??) so I was kinda scared. I keep taking the meds every night and so far have had good experiences each time. Be sure to talk with your doctor about any concerns and then also tell the nurses at the hospital also. They will check for you also.
Best Wishes to you !!
Terri
Unread 03-23-2002, 03:52 PM
A poopey question

My Dr. had me do a fleets the night before, and I had, on my own limited my self to liquids the day before, I stayed away from carbonated beverages to cut down on gas (didn't help-had gas going into the surgery even after having nothing past MN)I had surgery first case on Tue., on Wed, the gas started to become evident but would not pass-they had started me on liq. that am-made me feel nauseated(the full gas-won't pass feeling) Thurs.He prescribed a suppository which did help the gas get to passing. I went home on Fri. I had not had a bm yet but I also knew I didn't have anything in me, I only started on solids Fri am. Sun. I did a supp., it made me miserable all day, no BM, Sun. night I took MOM, I was kinda miserable all day Mon-waiting to go-nothing (I was taking colace every night since the night before surg and as soon as I could swallow pills). Tue I went to the Dr. for staples removed, he didn't seem too concerned. I went on Wed., no problems, didn't hurt, several times on Thurs, no pain (had a rectocele repair also and have a hematoma in there somewhere) I did have a bladder tack also. I think I did myself in by being so empty going in and then expecting things too soon. It all worked fine when it was ready. Hope I haven't grossed you out with all these details. Everyone is different. I do think the colace is a must, I guess if you want to go sooner instead of later you would not need to be as empty as me. Good luck. Mary
Unread 03-23-2002, 05:18 PM
A poopey question

As you can see, each doctor has their own preferred way of dealing with a bowel prep or lack of one.

I agree that eating lightly (no heavy foods or red meat) can help with post-op bowel movements, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not restrict yourself to fluids only or anything else without specific permission from your doctor!!!!

Some conditions require that your intestines be flat and empty and some conditions do not. Only your doctor can tell you what s/he needs for your surgery to be most successful. PLEASE do not follow anyone's suggestions except your doctor's. This is crucial.

Ask, and then do exactly what you are told. Anything else may compromise your surgery!!!!

Karen
Unread 03-23-2002, 10:59 PM
Thanks everyone

Thank you to all of you wonderful Ladies who responded to my question. I will call my Dr first thing Monday morn and ask her all about this. I warned her I would end up with more questions
Thanks again you all are wonderful!
Nancy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register